Do you hate it when people try to rush you?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 6:47 pm

I hate it when impatient jerks try to rush me and try to point out what I should do just because I'm 1 second over what they expect. Anyone else have the same experience?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 7:02 pm

How about when people act as if they are in a big hurry to go somewhere, but they don't actually leave for 30 minutes.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 7:08 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
How about when people act as if they are in a big hurry to go somewhere, but they don't actually leave for 30 minutes.

Yeah, they tell you to get ready but they take forever to actually leave.

Netish
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2010, 8:14 pm

I start getting really stressed if people try to rush me. Then I start to forget what I'm doing or get distracted because they got me stressed so I take longer. Then they get even more annoyed and I get more upset because I keep messing up...etc... Anyways, vicious cycle of evilness...

mikkyh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2010, 8:17 pm

Yes I do. I've shouted some obscene things at my grand parents and mother for rushing me.

They don't understand how hard it is to do stuff on command.

And also one week, I want to go and they sit chatting until about 1:10 and then the next week I want to do something and get told off for not leaving until like 12:50.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Jingo8
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2010, 8:37 pm

I'd like to appologise to you all on behalf of these people becuase i do this all the time :(

I think it's two reasons -

1 - I have an efficiency obsession, i hate to waste time or effort or anything, i will go to extremes to take 9 minutes to do something instead of 10, even tho i know i have 30. I will spend 5 hours working on something that is going to save me 5 minutes once per week.

2 - I struggle to keep my thoughts and attention flowing when people are talking/working/thinking too slow. I work out what people are saying after 30 seconds and spend the next 4 minutes trying to hold my attention and hurry them along.
The staff member i work closest with is a picture/story person. She can't just tell me the issue, she has to paint the whole story as she calls it to be able to explain the small relevent part. I find this hugely frustrating and a real struggle to follow and pay attention to. I cut her off and guess what she's trying to get at, or tell her i don't need to know that i just need to know X, which really doesn't turn out well for either of us.

So i'm one of these people and i'm sorry :( but i do have a legitimate issue and personal challege that makes me do it. I'm sure there's also people who just don't consider the struggles of others and some who are just plain rude.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 9:51 pm

I hate it when people do that. It brings back painful memories from my own childhood.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2010, 10:02 pm

I'm usually the one who's rushing everyone else. I too have an efficiency obsession. Inefficiency has caused me many meltdowns.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 8:29 am

[quote="gramirez"]I'm usually the one who's rushing everyone else. I too have an efficiency obsession. Inefficiency has caused me many meltdowns.[/quote]

What a rush topic

I used to be this way, until my children became faster than me, and now I am the slow one.
though we all slow down a bit physically when we get older.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 9:14 am

Yes I hate it when people try to rush me. But it doesn't happen much, and when it does, they don't succeed. Even if I sped up for them, I'd just make mistakes and the task would end up taking longer. One day maybe they'll realise they're wasting their time and stop rushing me completely.

I've no problem with working quickly, but it has to be me who judges when it's appropriate for me to do that. Nobody else has a clue how my brain operates when I'm performing tasks, so they're not qualified to have an opinion on whether or not I should go any faster. I take a pride in being able to work very quickly when the circumstances are right.

I don't mind being quietly reminded of an important deadline that I could be overlooking, but that's different from plain rushing me.

potty245
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2010, 9:18 am

when people rush me i get frustrated and annoyed plus I do sometimes get overwhelmed by it

AppleCat
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jan 2010, 9:36 am

I hate when people try to rush me. I find it extremely stressful when people yell at me to hurry up, then when I get ready on time, they tell me they have to do something quickly, which then takes quite a long time.

It doesn't help matters that I am sensitive to loud sounds :shaking: . They make me jump.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 12:26 pm

Yes. Because it S L O W S M E D O W N N NNNN.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 12:55 pm

gramirez wrote:
I'm usually the one who's rushing everyone else. I too have an efficiency obsession. Inefficiency has caused me many meltdowns.

Me too.

Jingo8
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2010, 12:55 pm

You can see how conflicts occur and people assume others are being awkward or jerks.

I'm trying really hard to listen to you and pay attention but failing becuase you're talking too slow and i can't keep focused on the task, so i try to subtly (probably badly) hurry you along or help finish your sentances to speed things up so you don't think i'm not paying attention.

Then you think i'm being a jerk for pushing you when you need to be able to go at your own speed and if i will just be patient you'd be able to function much better, so you deliberately ignore my attempts and slow down even more to stay in control.

Which makes me even more frustrated and i already didn't hear the last thing you said becuase i'm worrying about how to either tell you i need you to talk faster or explain later that i really didn't manage to follow what you said, knowing I will probably come across as rude despite my best attempts. So now i'm not listening to anything you're saying becuase i'm thinking about what to do next and getting frustrated.

And you're even more upset becuase after pushing you to be faster now i can't even be bothered to listen to you which makes you angrier

And i'm angry you're getting angry and i was only try to cope with the situation

So we both run away to a happy place where we decide the other is inconsiderate and rude and we will probably avoid talking to them again.

:D

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 1:41 pm

Doesn't everyone hate being rushed?