If you could live in a home with other Aspies/Autism persons

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

HappyBugg2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jan 2010, 10:12 pm

...would you?

I don't mean a group home, but a shared living arrangement where everyone shared chores, stayed out of your personal business, and paid exactly their share of the expenses every month?

Especially with the economy as bad as it is (but improving!), I'd like to explore such an option. Unfortunately, finding a community of people with the same condition is much different. Different than perhaps, a skin color, language or something else easy to perceive.

Anyone have an idea on a certain part of the U.S. where quite a few people with Asperger/Autism seem to live? i'll add myself to that people map (Missouri) as soon as possible.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 10:36 pm

I wouldn't do it.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 10:54 pm

I like living alone too much. I can't stand anyone in my space, talking too much or moving things. I can't even manage the noise of my neighbor. It doesn't matter who they are, I wouldn't like it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 10:55 pm

It would depend on the person.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2010, 12:26 am

It would be an epic fail the way I see it. I mean...living with NT people was bad enough for me. I cant imagine living with other aspies being any different.

Each aspie has their own way of getting chores/paying bills done and when. If one aspie's routine doesnt flow with another, you get chaos!

Plus to have my own room wouldnt be enough for me. I have to have my own actual living quarters in order to feel comfortable with doing things when I want to. I do clean but if I dont have control over my environment, I'm less ample to.

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 11:58 am

I did, growing up with my family. Wasn't the best environment ever. I would rather have no money (it all goes on rent and utilities) than live in that sort of environment again.

I only ever once had a flatmate. She was quite aspie-ish. She kept out of my way, would sit in her room herself, came in late at night, so I pretty much had the house to myself. We ate dinner separately. It was great. Apart from the fact everyone treated us like a couple. If I was out, people would ask me where she was. I was like, how should I know. We ran into each other at a concert once and our friend was amused that we didn't know that the other would be there. We didn't see the need to communicate that to each other. I found her a bit mental and so did a few other people and I got sick of being associated with her, so broke off on my own. I haven't had another flat mate because I don't think I will ever find someone else that will give me that much space. She was great in that respect. We had good times, but the bad began to overshadow that, which is a shame. The idea of living with an NT scares me. I don't know how I would handle it.

MoonRa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Feb 2010, 3:31 pm

I'm thinking about that sometimes, well not specificly with other Aspies/Autism persons.
Now and then I like to be around and chat with people I know well, a common living room would do.
Maybe I should get a woman, as written in the books, however I have little desire for a romance.

HappyBugg2 wrote:
Unfortunately, finding a community of people with the same condition is much different.

Consider that a community of personalities with somewhat different qualities might be more functional.

I guess there should be a lot of information available on the net and in books on how to raise living groups of people that share (some) believes.