I liked Obama before this!! Obama to cancel Moon mission

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 6:36 pm

I understand why you are upset, it is very important that we continue to go farther in our space exploration and study. I only hope you don't actually allow this to change your vote, well unless that is the main difference between which politician you chose of course. I hope to one day before I die, see people living up there. Civilians somewhere maybe a station, I know it would be too much to ask for a huge departure into space but I would like to know that when I die humanity is no longer bound to earth for our survival.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 7:33 pm

KingofKaboom wrote:
I understand why you are upset, it is very important that we continue to go farther in our space exploration and study. I only hope you don't actually allow this to change your vote, well unless that is the main difference between which politician you chose of course. I hope to one day before I die, see people living up there. Civilians somewhere maybe a station, I know it would be too much to ask for a huge departure into space but I would like to know that when I die humanity is no longer bound to earth for our survival.

A station on the moon would still depend on resources from earth, at least without any way to grow food on the moon's surface.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 7:43 pm

Lecks wrote:
KingofKaboom wrote:

A station on the moon would still depend on resources from earth, at least without any way to grow food on the moon's surface.
Biodomes can grow the food and O2 they could have filters and cleaners for reusing water. Human waste is fertilizer, and with more people it can still be done atleast up to a few hundred I'm sure. It can be done but I don't think the world will end just after we setup a base so yeah they'd still get resources. I just meant I'd like them to prove that we can do it successfully.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 7:54 pm

Willard wrote:

Computers, microchip circuitry, laser applications, satellite communications, chemical treatments of surfaces, antibacterials, food processing technology, plastics and other artificial fabrications, fiber optics, medical technology and pharmaceuticals...the list goes on and on...

Canard. Texas Instruments Inc. developed the integrated circuit before the Apollo Project was undertaken. If anything, it was the integrated circuit that made the trip to the moon possible. Very little basic science has come out of the Space Program. the Space Program has used or consumed more science than it has produced.

ruveyn

Grey_Area
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Feb 2010, 8:02 pm

I wonder why so many aspies seem to be attracted to the idea of space travel and colonisation. Using currently available technology, a human-habitable environment constructed in the vacuum of space or on the Moon, or in the near vacuum of the Martian atmosphere would be cramped, smelly, noisy, crowded and probably partly underground if it's not in orbit. The colonists would effectively be sealed into an airtight container together, never able to go for more than a few hours without encountering another human being. A view through a window would be a rare luxury due to radiation, and it's unlikely that expensive space suits would be given to anyone who just happens to feel like going out for a walk to get away from the constant noise and people. Of course, on a planet-based colony, there would be exploration of the surrounding area, but the explorers would still be stuck inside a tin can with a bunch of other people for most of the time. I'd hate that.

However, I am still disappointed that Obama has cancelled the Moon mission. Hopefully the Chinese will pull something out of the bag and do a mission of their own.

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 8:45 pm

Grey_Area wrote:
I wonder why so many aspies seem to be attracted to the idea of space travel and colonisation. Using currently available technology, a human-habitable environment constructed in the vacuum of space or on the Moon, or in the near vacuum of the Martian atmosphere would be cramped, smelly, noisy, crowded and probably partly underground if it's not in orbit. The colonists would effectively be sealed into an airtight container together, never able to go for more than a few hours without encountering another human being. A view through a window would be a rare luxury due to radiation, and it's unlikely that expensive space suits would be given to anyone who just happens to feel like going out for a walk to get away from the constant noise and people. Of course, on a planet-based colony, there would be exploration of the surrounding area, but the explorers would still be stuck inside a tin can with a bunch of other people for most of the time. I'd hate that.

However, I am still disappointed that Obama has cancelled the Moon mission. Hopefully the Chinese will pull something out of the bag and do a mission of their own.
Future is my reason. Fact is the Earth won't last forever no matter how much we would like it too eventually our numbers will either have to be forcibly kept down or grow somewhere else. Oh and for planet travel we aren't really fast enough to do that very well it would take probably a 100 years before it's fully running. As for the cramped conditions yes it absolutely would be no doubt in my mind and people would deal with it. They would adapt to whatever social needs have to change and they would make a new culture.

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 9:19 pm

Darn it. I've got 10 acres on the moon still no way of getting there.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 9:35 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsJxoBKi1is[/youtube]

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 9:37 pm

Pobodys_Nerfect wrote:
Darn it. I've got 10 acres on the moon still no way of getting there.
If you've got a few hundred million to drop go talk to Russia I heard they do a taxi service. But be prepared to give a good tip 'cus they won't take you again if you don't.

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Feb 2010, 9:40 pm

animeboy wrote:
We need to have a strong space exploration program, it is our only future.

:roll:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 11:48 pm

Shadwell wrote:
The moon is boring. Its just to bad Obama and every other rat politician can't also cut the astronomical spending on death and destruction.

The Darkside of the Moon is just the place to build telescopes of all kinds since there is no atmosphere to interfere with the seeing or detecting. The gravity is light so we can build telescopes with gigantic mirrors or dishes. Such instruments would make Hubble look like a child's spyglass.

The moon is close enough so that additional material and support can be ferried up from earth. In addition if there is Helium 3 on the moon it can be mined and sent back to earth. That is the key element go finally acheiving controlled nuclear fusion.

ruveyn

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2010, 11:54 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Shadwell wrote:
The moon is boring. Its just to bad Obama and every other rat politician can't also cut the astronomical spending on death and destruction.

The Darkside of the Moon is just the place to build telescopes of all kinds since there is no atmosphere to interfere with the seeing or detecting. The gravity is light so we can build telescopes with gigantic mirrors or dishes. Such instruments would make Hubble look like a child's spyglass.

The moon is close enough so that additional material and support can be ferried up from earth. In addition if there is Helium 3 on the moon it can be mined and sent back to earth. That is the key element go finally acheiving controlled nuclear fusion.

ruveyn
Doesn't the moon also rotate? Not that it would eliminate the use it might make it better for the task as they can build just one and still see all the different directions minus through the earth obviously. But it would require some sort of protection as the moon is basically the earth shield from asteroids and debris from space, which is why the earth doesn't have quite so many dents in it as the moon does.

Jimbeaux
Toucan
Toucan

02 Feb 2010, 5:26 am

MartyMoose wrote:
Do you know how much we spend on war and other things?

We spend three times more on entitlements than we do on the military, even among two wars. 60% of our average federal budget is mandatory spending.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 5:38 am

KingofKaboom wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Shadwell wrote:

ruveyn
Doesn't the moon also rotate? Not that it would eliminate the use it might make it better for the task as they can build just one and still see all the different directions minus through the earth obviously. But it would require some sort of protection as the moon is basically the earth shield from asteroids and debris from space, which is why the earth doesn't have quite so many dents in it as the moon does.

The dark side of the moon is free of terrestrial radio signal interference which would improve radio astronomy and telemetry immensely.

Regarding the Moon and Kennedy - he sums it up perfectly with one of the most important speeches in human history - we CHOOSE to go to the moon, not because it is easy but because it is hard.

Any best possible future can only be achieved by planting those foundations today. The moon itself is but a stepping stone to something far greater. If we admit defeat to that, we admit defeat to any loftier aspiration that could come.

Politicians tend to think about what will happen in their current term or what will occur if they get re-elected. They should also be thinking about 100, 500, 1000 years from now and start planning for it.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2010, 5:57 am

ruveyn wrote:
In addition if there is Helium 3 on the moon it can be mined and sent back to earth. That is the key element go finally acheiving controlled nuclear fusion.ruveyn

What do mean if there is Helium 3? I've never heard anyone contest it. The Russians are certainly preparing to mine it.

voss749
Raven
Raven

02 Feb 2010, 10:59 am

Hes cancelling project constellation.
The Ares launchers were years behind schedule, massively overbudget and were technically inept.
Even if Ares had been funded they would not have gotten back to the moon until 2028.

What the critics of privately funded manned launchers have failed to understand

1) All your eggs are not in 1 politically motivated basket
2) Private companies actually have to meet schedules, NASA hasnt met a schedule in 10 years.
3) Ares I would not be ready to put a man into space until 2017, that was gonna potentially
leave us with no ISS after 2015.

About the alternative as an example-Spacex
1) Spacex is testing launching its man capable launcher THIS year. It has met every time table
it has set or missed it by no more than a matter of a couple months.
2) Its Falcon 9 launcher is based on the Falcon 1 which has already made 2 successful orbital flights.
3) Its there