Page 1 of 10 [ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2010, 9:00 am

The AMA has released a draft of proposed changes to DSM-5. As expected, autism spectrum disorders have been folded into a single category.

http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevisions/P ... spx?rid=94

Below is a link to the DSM-5 Development home page. It seems that comments are accepted from those who agree to register.

http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 9:04 am

I liked the criteria and met it. I knew I would.

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Feb 2010, 9:26 am

I like this line from the rationale section:

Quote:
A single spectrum disorder is a better reflection of the state of knowledge about pathology and clinical presentation; previously, the criteria were equivalent to trying to “cleave meatloaf at the joints”.
:D

I also like that they added a criterion for "unusual sensory behaviors," since we all seem to have them.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 9:44 am

My first thought was of the singer. That would be cruel! 8O :lol:

Looks good to me. Interesting that they added "unusual sensory behaviour."

The year is still young.

Arroyo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2010, 10:00 am

Oh Sh.... I am out!! !!

I fail criterium 1 - I present deficits on all that, but stating "Lack" of social reciprocity is too strong!! Also, for the aldults that develop coping mechanisms, those symptoms will not be met completely.

I am also half-way on 2b and 2c.

For me, it seems they are describing a pathological form of ASD.

MrTeacher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Feb 2010, 10:16 am

It would be considerable harder for many adults to pass the criteria!

WorldsEdge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Feb 2010, 10:18 am

I guess I would now be classified as "sub-clinical," or will be when this takes effect.

I meet the first criteria, I meet the third criteria but I'm doubtful I meet two of the three items listed in criteria # 2. As in, (2a) describes me but not (2b) or (2c).

Very strange, since I don't think I would have met the diagnosis requirements under DSM-3, either, as best I recall. But do under DSM-4, at least as far as Asperger Disorder goes.

"The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken." ? Bertrand Russell

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 10:28 am

yeah I like it sort of. THe thing is it seems to short and the only issue I have is with the top section. it should be on or more of the following not all I don't think I lack socail and emotional reciprocitey. I am not sure though. and they need to make notes for ADULTS i hope they add more

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 10:32 am

The basic list:

Quote:
Autism Spectrum Disorder

Must meet criteria 1, 2, and 3:

1. Clinically significant, persistent deficits in social communication and interactions, as manifest by all of the following:

a. Marked deficits in nonverbal and verbal communication used for social interaction:

b. Lack of social reciprocity;

c. Failure to develop and maintain peer relationships appropriate to developmental level

2. Restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least TWO of the following:

a. Stereotyped motor or verbal behaviors, or unusual sensory behaviors

b. Excessive adherence to routines and ritualized patterns of behavior

c. Restricted, fixated interests

3. Symptoms must be present in early childhood (but may not become fully manifest until social demands exceed limited capacities)

As far as I'm aware, I meet it. However, "c." is going to undiagnose a lot of folk out there. If you're married or have a friend..., you're out.

I'll add, the lack of social reciprocity was almost a given in the DSM-IV, you just had to read the expanded text and see how it all applied to the diagnostic criteria. They said they're keeping the points short, and expanding on them in the text. Which is a good thing, as it stops people from taking it the wrong way and out of context.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 10:41 am

I didn't see it that way. I saw peer as friends your own age. My husband is in his 30's and he is also an outcast. He also didn't develop relationships with his peers growing up so we were a perfect match.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 10:43 am

Don't worry, no psychologist will diagnose me :lol:

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Feb 2010, 10:44 am

From what I recall of my evaluation I'd still fit, but you wouldn't know from just meeting me, unless you saw me for extended periods of time and under stress. I do have some sensory issues, but they might be subclinical (sensitivity to smells and certain sounds).

The only thing I'm not sure about is what qualifies as "marked deficits" in communication. I often talk out of turn and don't notice communication cues. I can give cues though. It's the non-verbal bit that puzzles me, there's nothing extreme about my body language, but I'm not good at reading other people's body language, does that count? Do the deficits involve my own communication or understanding that of others?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 10:45 am

Of course. If the relationship isn't socially appropriate and/or normal for your age, you'd meet it.

Like a teenager with an ASD whose only friend is middle aged, and they only talk at the library [on a set topic].

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 10:47 am

I don't understand what peer relationships appropriate to developmental level are...what is appropriate?

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Feb 2010, 10:47 am

About peer relationships appropriate to age, I just assumed that meant you got along normally with people your own age, in that you could have normal relationships and friendships with people. I didn't think it meant having no relationships at all.

Sefirato
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Feb 2010, 10:48 am

The new DSM-V is much better, much more streamlined to diagnose people properly, those that should belong onto the autistic spectrum. It's interesting to see that CDD is included under the ASD category. I know this isn't final, but what we're seeing here, I want to say I like it very much.

With that being said, I have looked over the criteria for the qualification of receiving an ASD diagnosis, and I qualify on ALL of them, which is not a surprise at all since I've been diagnosed a few months ago. I've learned quite a lot about myself, my childhood years, and such that I have come to realize that I am more HFA than AS from all the different behaviors I have manifested over the years, and still manifest even to this day. However, one can't really go around saying that without being properly diagnosed by a professional regarding the differences between HFA and AS, can they? Then again, these two are similar, and will still be placed under the same roof of the Autistic Disorder in DSM-V. so semantics need not apply in this one.

For some of you feeling concerned that you may not qualify under the DSM-V - I want to say I'm sorry you feel that way, and I hope that whenever DSM-V comes out, that you can seek out another evaluation (if you haven't been officially diagnosed yet) to assess your issues properly by a professional so that you can definitely know where you are, whether you are on the spectrum or not. If you are not, remember that you will always be welcome here, regardless of what happens in that evaluation if you opted to seek it out, and regardless of the officiality of DSM-V in a few years.