Page 2 of 10 [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 2:27 pm

ASdogGeek wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
What about those of us who weren't diagnosed using the DSM criteria, does this change apply to us? I've asked this question loads of times on these threads but no one's answered it yet.

Also I don't really want it to change, it was fine as it is.

have you been officail diagnosed? if so what was used to diagnose you if not the DSM? You might have to get rediagnosed

Yes I'm official. I used the DISCO (The Diagnostic Interview for Social and Communication Disorders) which is not as well known as the DSM and the gillberg, I think DISCO is only in Britain I'm not sure.

Last edited by MONKEY on 10 Feb 2010, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 2:28 pm

Innawoodenhouse:
Why is NLD not included in DSM-IV under the PDD-NOS criteria? What are the characteristics of NLD that it is an Autistic Spectrum Disorder but fails to meet the criteria for PDD-NOS?

I always thought NLD was diagnosible in DSM as PDD-NOS, if not AS itself.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 2:57 pm

The new diagnostic criteria looks pretty good to me.

Based on my experience in an AS support group (not my impression of people on the internet I’ve never met), I consider myself to be in the mildly affected range. A formal AS diagnosis is required to participate in the group, so there is a very high likelihood that all members actually do have AS.

Most of the other members of the group seem to have a tougher time than I do with being independent and maintaining a job. Several members need transportation support, special accommodations at work, or struggle in some area more than I do. I am also the only member that wouldn’t take “a magical Autism cure” if it was ever available. That’s why I consider myself to be fairly mildly affected.

I meet the new criteria easily. I don’t think there is a single member of the support group that wouldn’t also meet the criteria easily.

So with that said… in my opinion… People who are accurately diagnosed currently will not be excluded from an ASD diagnosis based on the proposed DSMV criteria.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 3:51 pm

I like the new criteria.. It makes a lot more sense than the last ones.
I just read it to my parents and they both agree that i easily fit.

InaWoodenHouse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2010, 4:00 pm

pandd wrote:
Innawoodenhouse:
Why is NLD not included in DSM-IV under the PDD-NOS criteria? What are the characteristics of NLD that it is an Autistic Spectrum Disorder but fails to meet the criteria for PDD-NOS?

I always thought NLD was diagnosible in DSM as PDD-NOS, if not AS itself.

Alas, it hasn't officially been included on the spectrum (yet...). It's not recognized by the DSM at all, it's diagnosed using other means (e.g. a compiled list of other tests). I'm actually not sure why it can't fit into the PDD-NOS diagnosis, I don't know enough about PDD-NOS in the DSM.

NLD is basically in a diagnostic nowhere land :(

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 4:03 pm

I see that there has to be lack of social reciprocity.

I do not think that there are many people here that have a lack of social reciprocity.

This is going to exclude a lot of people.

Cascadians
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Feb 2010, 4:16 pm

Lack of social reciprocity coming from the other side.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 4:19 pm

ursaminor wrote:

I do not think that there are many people here that have a lack of social reciprocity.

I'm pretty sure that includes different levels of it, though. It doesn't necessarily mean that you don't respond at all when someone talks to you(that would probably be on the more severe end). I'd definitely say that i have a lack of social reciprocity. I respond to people when they talk to me(well, usually anyway..), and when i feel like it i start conversations. I have reciprocal communication, but as far as actual social relationships, beyond just simple conversation, i don't know how to do the whole back-and-forth that keeps normal friendships going and that forms whatever big invisible social network that everyone has going.

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Feb 2010, 4:21 pm

ursaminor wrote:

I certainly have a lack of social reciprocity - and as far as I can tell, so do all the other members of the ASD support groups that I attend. We try - but personally, I just don't seem to have the knack for social give-and-take.

For instance, I can be chatting with someone & it's only after they leave that I think they probably didn't want to hear me talk for five minutes straight about my current special interest. Or, conversely, I walk away after they've told me how they spent their weekend - only to later realize that I should have said something to them about my weekend.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 4:23 pm

Cascadians wrote:

Ciprosity and Reciprocity topic

Reciprocity just means that there is a two way street involved. Back and forth.

Even if I try to reach out, I am avoided like the plague. Only ciprocity here, and bounce back, but no soical engagement.

It is like a game of tennis, but if your partner is a wall, it is called squash. :P

I would prefer if Austism was NOT referred to as a disorder. It is a difference.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 4:24 pm

sartresue wrote:
Cascadians wrote:

Ciprosity and Reciprocity topic

Reciprocity just means that there is a two way street involved. Back and forth.

Even if I try to reach out, I am avoided like the plague. Only ciprocity here, and bounce back, but no soical engagement.

It is like a game of tennis, but if your partner is a wall, it is called squash. :P

:lol: I love that explanation

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 4:28 pm

Yeah, that's really different. I think I might have met this criteria when I was a kid, I had no social skills and I had a hard time saying "thank you" or doing anything in return when people did stuff for me (reciprocity), but those things seem to have improved a lot when I grew up so I don't think it applies to me anymore.

Criteria 2 and 3 I do meet.

Anyway, the new disorder about anger in kids, http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevisions/P ... px?rid=397
fits me eerily well. maybe I really had this thing and my rageful outbursts were part of it?

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 4:35 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I liked the criteria and met it.
This. I think it's to the point and precise. The only thing I don't like is that they are taking the Asperger's diagnosis out. I wonder what Asperger-specific groups and organizations are going to do about it.

sartresue wrote:
I would prefer if Autism was NOT referred to as a disorder. It is a difference.
Please remember that there is also the other end of the spectrum, where the individual is severely low functioning. These individuals would not be able to live without support in any sort of society, even if we created an autistics-only community where any person on the spectrum would be able to use their special talents in a meaningful way.
In the society we live in, though, we usually will need accomodations in order to lead happy and successful lives. Because these needs are not the same as that of the majority, and because they can impede us in certain ways, it is considered to be a disorder.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Last edited by MathGirl on 10 Feb 2010, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Feb 2010, 4:45 pm

MathGirl wrote:
...I wonder what Asperger-specific groups and organizations are going to do about it.

I imagine they will eventually replace the word "Asperger" with the word "autism" in all their literature (including their name.) It won't even change the acronyms. I think some organizations are already doing this to at least some extent, simply to be inclusive of other autistic spectrum disorders.

They have a while to think about it, since the DSM-V isn't due to be published until 2013.

BrooxBroox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Feb 2010, 4:50 pm

All I have to say is parents of "real" autistic kids (meaning the moderate, severe, and profound ones) are going to be outraged.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 4:52 pm

How are they any more "truly autistic"? Besides, there are people on here who are moderate and severe, or who used to be as kids.

They're doing severity levels, remember?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com