Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Falc
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2006, 6:47 pm

Hi there.

I know a few programming langauges. XHTML, CSS, PHP and some SQL. (although only PHP can be considered programming).

I am looking to learn a language with internet capabilities such as Python or Java. But I also want to be able to do really powerful stuff in it like make it run on a different platform (such as a games console) and be able to make something small and minimilistic (like a command line program).

I'm not sure which
I was thinking of a few:
Python
C
Assembler
Java

Ruvil
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2006, 7:30 pm

Maybe C++ or perl?

Falc
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Mar 2006, 7:48 pm

I tried looking at Perl and it seemed a bit... messy for what I like.

C++ seems overly bloated to me.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2006, 8:25 pm

Falc wrote:
C++ seems overly bloated to me.

C and C++ don't scale the same. While C makes smaller code for small programs, it tends to get very complicated and buggy when your applications are large. C++ has a lot of initial overhead but you save a lot of debugging time on large projects because properly designed classes can be debugged independently. Don't forget Java!

The biggest problem with Microsoft's C++ is that the STL and MFC are both loaded with bugs that eat memory and cause instability. I doubt C# is much better.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2006, 12:28 pm

In this order

Lisp, Python, Forth, Smaltalk, Java

learn object oriented programming, but learning Functional Programming is a must and learn and learn about the revival of Procedural Programing. OOP has become the one of the biggest scams as for as application design.

I recommend you stay away from C and C++, no matter how good you are it would too hard to see the application though the code.