Page 4 of 12 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

07 Jun 2013, 5:16 pm

Also, many autistic people who do communicate do not necessarily communicate in a verbal fashion, and the expectation that verbal communication being the communication that matters marginalizes quite a few people.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 6:36 pm

No different to speakeasy via written essay and highly verbalised by ones needs to control convo.
Strategically speaking id place a higher strategy on divorcing the negative from the positive in order to produce a counterfeit marginalised response to the everyday data received from higher corporate claims to deal with the 'Ofsted' reports. No different as if you are talking about a phone hacking scandal is it really.

FinMaMan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jun 2013, 11:25 pm

AutismSpeaks is, complemented the Catholic Church, the most distasteful organization on this Great Green Earth. They want to "cure" us. Well I have news for those people. You see, most of the professors in our top universities are, hey hey, Aspies!

They are morons, I do not think we should offer our concern nor our vociferous criticism to them in an effort to not give them any attention whatsoever.

P.S Some beauty queen a few years ago "loved to volunteer" with AutismSpeaks. That's the moment I lost all respect for that kind of person.

bakattsura
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jul 2013, 10:50 pm

I'm careful not to judge the people of Autism Speaks for a number of reasons.

Clearly, they're a "splitter" organization that sees Asperger's as a "difference" and autism as a "disability." They're hardly an anti-Asperger's eugenics group. For many, autism is a severe, destructive condition that turns their lives into a miserable screaming mess. Comparing our issues to theirs, as people who are capable of going on a forum and typing words, is not possible. The life of many autistic people I know are constant violent tantrums, anxiety, fear, and constant tears. I assume many of you have seen the videos of the autism school in Boston which was in the news for "shock treatments," where a young man appears to be tortured by a staff that looks criminally cavalier. My Asperger's friends were disgusted, but when watching the young man's reaction, I was reminded that an autistic man I know once had the same screaming reaction to a single pea rolling onto his plate at dinner, purely by accident. He does not care for peas. This pea sent him into a rage that did a good deal of human and property damage.

This was far from an isolated incident; it was like countless others that happen every day to countless people on the spectrum. With some, condition will never allow them to be around another human being without being restrained as, the second the restraints come off, they punch and kick without knowing that they are hurting us; I know one person who, if she cannot lash out at others, will proceed to hit herself with enough force to cause brain damage if not stopped. The bruises I've received being lenient with restraints are a testament to this. I can't imagine they are happy living this way; they probably want to stop being angry and frightened. I would completely understand that. It's hubris for me to compare my minor challenges living with Asperger's to that of the "curebies" we like to malign here.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 11:25 pm

Why not protest autism speaks?

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 10:41 am

Are they still around?

Science has done a bit in the years since this thread started.

Genetic testing has been disproven, but along the way we have learned that genetics is not an absolute, and that copy number variations in transcription cause evolution.

While autism is noticed at three or so, it was there since the womb.

Psychology and the DSM have been refuted by the NIMH.

Autism still stands, as a differance of thought and perception, now with related facial types, twin airways in the lungs, which points to a human subtype, traits of an ancestor population.

The entire Neanderthal Genome has been recently done. Just the partial showed up to 4% Neanderthal in European populations, spread over to China. 4% is more than what seperates up from chimps.

We are the same species, but as we know from lions and tigers breeding Ligers, there are various results.

Studies are showing more autism where there is more traffic, diesel soot, so there are triggers outside of genetics. Autism is still a vauge word.

Nothing I have heard of about why most are Aspergers, to Broader Autism Phenotype, and a few get the really bad side of everything.

Autism which can be found in 10-30% of the population is not going away, and in genetics and traits seems to have a lot in common with the total autism that leaves a person unable to care for themselves. They are related, how is unknown.

It somewhat related studies, those who are anti-autistic, who do the social thing very well, become CEOs and Psychopaths. Most have the CEO traits, a few have a string of thefts, suffering, shallow graves, marking their passage.

Some with horrid childhoods become great CEOs, and some with all the advantages in life become school shooters.

Psychopath Speaks has had no luck finding a genetic marker to abort school shooters. It has shead light on the fact that most CEOs are not school shooters.

The press will still report that, "Man with CEO disease kills twenty!"

In the longer view, it does seem we have two to four sub species of hairless ground apes running around, and the record shows that only one will survive.

Our northern European genetics makes us the Neanderthal Autistics, which continues over to the Han Chinese, and the Koreans who are the most autistic people on earth. Yes, North Korea has the Autistic Bomb.

Autism Speaks have no idea what they are funding long range, they would have to be autistic to have that kind of vision. They are funding the demise of NTs.

NTs fit the social role needed for the last few thousand years of economic development, so they rose in numbers. Now they are being replaced by autistic machines. Their inability to read eyes and body language over the Internet leaves them blind. The ability to find just what I want without interacting with social networks renders them useless.

Soon, Replicators! NTs have been in economic decline for forty years, as technology rose. Booms, Bubbles, and an economic death spiral. The era of Social Capitalism is ending.

Autism Speaks directly organized autistics, taught them about their heritage, and clearly stated that NTs would like you all dead. They showed the limits of their thinking. Kill them and take thier land does not work with technology.

I fully support the work of Autism Speaks.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

11 Jul 2013, 12:03 pm

I've noticed that a good portion of the anti-cure crowd is insufferable and very unpleasant to be around generally. At least that's been my experience from meetups in Austin and DC.

Maybe they need curing more than anyone else.

1. Nobody supports genocide, certainly not autism speaks. Calling a cure genocide is ridiculous, and calling abortion genocide makes you sound like stupid social conservatives.

2. The majority of HFA's are miserable and can't live independently, to say nothing of LFA's.

3. It seems odd to be anti-cure yet support society subsidizing your then willfull inability to secure employment through disability payments. This attitude symbolizes everything that's wrong and broke about the Western capitalist welfare state.

WhitneyM

11 Jul 2013, 12:18 pm

I honestly believe Autism Speaks will speak for anyone who is not on the spectrum. In all honesty I do not believe I need a cure because I am socially awkward or because I am have Aspergers. I am pro-choice but that another debate. I read the studies that Autism Speaks some of them do have merit but most of them do not. The last Study is even outlawed as barbaric practice of lobotomy where they create brain tissue bank which they stated needed living tissue. I do believe there is a discrimanation in Autism Speaks for people on the Agenda and my own opinions are not welcome. They may not be directly against but they are not certainly for us. If they were truly for Autism they would concern themselves with quality of life issue that people on the spectrum has.

So far I sense from them we are not individuals or even people for Autism Speaks. The decisions about funding for research for prevention and cure I have no problem with but when only that there no effort to educate people or make them aware to build a more tolerant society that is when I do.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 12:23 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
I've noticed that a good portion of the anti-cure crowd is insufferable and very unpleasant to be around generally. At least that's been my experience from meetups in Austin and DC.

1. Nobody supports genocide, certainly not autism speaks. Calling a cure genocide is ridiculous, and calling abortion genocide makes you sound like stupid social conservatives.

2. The majority of HFA's are miserable and can't live independently, to say nothing of LFA's.

3. It seems odd to be anti-cure yet support society subsidizing your then willfull inability to secure employment through disability payments. This attitude symbolizes everything that's wrong and broke about the Western capitalist welfare state.

I guess I don't really see how accepting there isn't a cure for autism and at best accomodations to help or maybe medications for some of the more obnoxious symptoms like meltdowns and sensory overload is the same thing as willfully not gaining income through employment. Why does it have to be one extreme or the other? I wouldn't say I am pro or anti-cure though I think people should have access to treatment and cures where appropriate. I suppose its more that there isn't a cure so to me it seems like a waste to keep trying to find ways to prevent autism or make those with it neurotypical when there are other treatments and accomodations that could help that probably need more looking into.

Not being cured does not mean you're willfully choosing to have a disability and thus no employment....part of it is no one wants to hire someone who's not 'normal' perhaps more acceptance of differences in society would be helpful. I don't think curing autism is the only way and as it stands there is no cure.

WhitneyM

11 Jul 2013, 12:34 pm

Tyri0n wrote:

Actually I known high social eye contact people who used the system for their own gain. Eye contact with person makes that person honest. Right. I know there are times people who have social eye contact were arrested by the FBI because money laundering. Having eye-contact and no inbuilt awareness of doing job that does not rely social cues does not help Aspies get a job. But then again I think your type of person who will not accomodate a disability if you had a choice. That means taking a way wheel chair bound person only way of mobility or taking blind man seeing eye dog. So much for the NT empathy. At least Aspies don't waste time of false sentiment like that. About only thing I agree on is number 1.

People got screwed by social niceties where sociopaths got away manipulating the laws because the eye contact seem honest.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 7:37 pm

Lucky autistics who are naturally ok with having autism...be aware that some of us would like to be cured. I have autism and anxiety, and since autism makes it harder to cope, my anxiety is an extreme case...a million times worse than it is for most people diagnosed with anxiety. For a few hours a day, I feel like the world is collapsing. So not everyone likes being autistic...even though I've noticed that most of you do. But I've always supported a cure for autism. If Autism Speaks comes up with a cure for autism...not everyone has to be cured...they only have to be cured if they want to, and I know I would. So here's to Autism Speaks, my only hope! :D :D :D :D

WhitneyM

12 Jul 2013, 9:12 pm

I honestly think the problem with the cure is not those who want it. It is those who don't want may be forced to have a cure. Instead of making things better for people with autism by common sense solutions that could benefit everyone. It is the single obsession for a cure that really bothers me. The fact is Autism Speaks is not promoting equal rights for people with Autism. Or people rights in general I feel that drive for Autism cure they will take way our choice to want or not. In essence I do not trust them in this regard.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 10:17 pm

You can cure autism as little as you can "cure" race - so then everyone actually is neurotypical white people, they just need a cure! "Autism speaks" proposed cure is eugenics. An autistic curebie is like a nazi jew.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

12 Jul 2013, 11:00 pm

Anomiel wrote:
You can cure autism as little as you can "cure" race - so then everyone actually is neurotypical white people, they just need a cure! "Autism speaks" proposed cure is eugenics. An autistic curebie is like a nazi jew.

So would you say the same thing about "curbies" for Schizophrenia, Depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, Downs Syndrome, ADHD, and Multiple Sclerosis?

Autism Speaks spends money researching treatments of autism. To my knowledge, they have not tried to force a "cure" on anyone because a cure does not yet officially exist.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 11:07 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
Anomiel wrote:

So would you say the same thing about "curbies" for Schizophrenia, Depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, Downs Syndrome, ADHD, and Multiple Sclerosis?

Autism Speaks spends money researching treatments of autism. To my knowledge, they have not tried to force a "cure" on anyone because a cure does not yet officially exist.

Their idea of a cure is not directed at adults. They think we are defective, and make their money by telling other people that we are. It's great that they are doing research, I just don't like their opinions and intended purpose with it. If a bonobo is cured does it become a chimpanzee?

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2013, 1:27 am

Their early Marketing did have a Final Solution vibe.

Later they settled into it is like Downs and we will find the marker.

The very science they funded proved that there is not a genetic defect that can be spotted,

What they proved was, they did not understand the Science.

At the same time Psychology was discovering that everything was Autism, as there were funds for it.

Even Autism Speaks turned away from Psychobabble, and now they have been joined by The NIMH. In scientific tests, a first for Psychology, Sister Maria who speaks with the Spirits was right more often.

When tested under Science, most of Psychology was found to have no basis. With the great help of those who served in Iraq, Afganistan, it was proved that tramatic brain injury accounted for most of Psychology, and the rest was made up.

Psychology followed popular fiction, when a book or movie came out about someone with a rare condition, Psychology discovered millions of cases. Multi personality became common, and children were given drugs for Harry Potter Syndrome.

Autism Speaks had a lot of money and no idea, so they wound up being a platform for Chelation, Vaccines, and Snake Handeling. Money does cast a bright light, and that discredits frauds.

While they were thinking genocide, the groups they exterminated were the hidden fringe of Autism thinking, frauds, charatans, and Psychology.

The last ones standing were the CDC, and NIMH. they are not cults funded by drug companies. They are dedicated professionals with more than a few autistic traits.

Autism Speaks found they could not fund breakthrough research, because it was already being done. They are a poor copy of University and Medical Research. All they can do is give money to grants that are directed by others, who know what they are talking about, sometimes.

I am working on faster than light drive, and for a million dollars my research would move at the same speed. Everything is being researched, and results are scarce.

What Autism Speaks does is spend half their donations on other peoples research, and half on payroll and parties. They have an enlightened self interest in autism.

As no one knows anything, they have to make up fund raising pitches or the party stops.

Science that has nothing to do with them has found that traffic patterns around pregnant women, Diesel, lead to more autism. I would support a cure, if it included leaf blowers and weed eaters.

There is also some strong science saying people have been getting dumber, since 1890. Autism affects 1%, this is everyone. Some of it is Public Health, even dumb people live, and live a lot longer. It is not just more Blacks and Mexicans, every group has declining IQ scores.

A study of the Human Problem leads to discovering the problem is larger than first thought.