I'm afraid to sleep after experiencing sleep paralysis.

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 4:41 pm

I had a really terrible, irregular episode last night. It was hypnagogic, which means I experienced it before I fell asleep. And I felt the "attack" from numerous positions. At first, I was in the fetal position, and then something heavy started ramming against my side. Like a heavy person. I heard my bed creaking and everything. It kept ramming into me, sort of like CPR, with the two hands. So I turned over, and lay on my back. I've had hypnagogic hallucinations before..This one was so intense. It kept pressing on me, and the paralysis kicked in. I was really panicking by now, so I started praying in Jesus's name that he'd send it away...It worked! I don't know if it was a psychological thing, or something spiritual...But it scared the crap out of me!
Anyone else ever experienced this? I wish I had someone to share my bed with XD

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 4:55 pm

I woke up with a Demon on my chest once, and reacted with prayer as well. as this "Demon" looked suspiciously like a monster from a computer game, I'm fairly certain it was just a Hypnopompic hallucination (I was waking up, not falling asleep) and not a real demon.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 5:01 pm

I don't think that's what sleep paralysis is... I always thought sleep paralysis referred to how your body freezes up and won't move while you're asleep. Correct me if I'm wrong.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 5:06 pm

I used to have dreams about cat demons with green eyes, before I got my dog.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 5:20 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
I don't think that's what sleep paralysis is... I always thought sleep paralysis referred to how your body freezes up and won't move while you're asleep. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry, I didn't elaborate on that. I was paralyzed. I could move briefly if I focused on simply moving a toe, but it would kick in after that. Gosh...It was scary. :(

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 7:00 pm

Spazzergasm wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

Sorry, I didn't elaborate on that. I was paralyzed. I could move briefly if I focused on simply moving a toe, but it would kick in after that. Gosh...It was scary. :(

I've had it happen once, I think it's something to do with when you wake up during REM sleep. It scared the hell out of me, I kept on expecting aliens to bust through my door to take me away for probing.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 7:23 pm

If you go to bed and stay completely still (and resist the urge to turn over in the bed) you can trick your body into thinking you're alseep and sleep paralysis will kick in. I've done that before in an attempt to have a lucid dream.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2010, 7:48 pm

I used to have hypnagogic hallucinations on a fairly regular basis and it seems to be stress related. I had one with a "demon" on my chest that was tactile in the sense that I felt it's weight on me. It was like a dark cloud person. I forced it away with anger. Two other people have told me about a similar episode before knowing about mine. There was another more complicated one when I was about 19 that involved pressure, a voice and paralysis. Recently I read about how it can happen that these experiences really are dreaming, you just happen to be conscious at the time. The paralysis is a natural part of the dreaming.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/ ... paralysis/

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 1:58 pm

I've had a few ASPs, and one of them involved an out-of-body experience and en evil entity in the room (which I couldn't see), but nothing quite as crazy as yours o_O I tried praying, and it didn't really work =/ So I focused on wiggling one little finger, and eventually I broke out of it.

It probably sounds silly, but I would recommend exorcising your room, even if you have to do it yourself. It might only be psychosomatic like you said, but it couldn't hurt to try...unless you do it completely wrong and only make things worse 8O

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 2:52 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I've had a few ASPs, and one of them involved an out-of-body experience and en evil entity in the room (which I couldn't see), but nothing quite as crazy as yours o_O I tried praying, and it didn't really work =/ So I focused on wiggling one little finger, and eventually I broke out of it.

It probably sounds silly, but I would recommend exorcising your room, even if you have to do it yourself. It might only be psychosomatic like you said, but it couldn't hurt to try...unless you do it completely wrong and only make things worse 8O

:lol: My dad offered to excorcise my room. I didn't want to get *too* religious about it, so declined. But ugh....I slept in it last night, and didn't get attacked...So that's good. But I read the bible for a good while, and prayed a lot before sleeping, and my dad put a picture of Jesus in my room.
This religiousness makes me feel silly, but It does seem to help. I'm really wishing it was psychosomatic, but it was such an atypical episode. *shudders*

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 2:56 pm

Spazzergasm wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:

:lol: My dad offered to excorcise my room. I didn't want to get *too* religious about it, so declined. But ugh....I slept in it last night, and didn't get attacked...So that's good. But I read the bible for a good while, and prayed a lot before sleeping, and my dad put a picture of Jesus in my room.
This religiousness makes me feel silly, but It does seem to help. I'm really wishing it was psychosomatic, but it was such an atypical episode. *shudders*

Did you read my link?

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 3:35 pm

No, I didn't need to, I already know what it was. :) I know I seem silly, but I was still scared s**tless, so I did the religious stuff as a back-up.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 4:49 pm

Heck, I'll sleep with you... Just to observe sleep paralysis I mean. :p

I get it sometimes too, but only if I sleep during the day. I've never halluciated during it though but I played around with moving my limbs during it. It always feels like I'm moving something, yet my limbs really aren't moving. It was kind of like moving through water slowly.

I've wanted to experiement with it before like having a clock within view to see if my percievment of time is altered while under sleep paralysis. It would be informative to have an observer as well to see if my limbs really are moving or no when it happens.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 5:02 pm

Zara wrote:
Heck, I'll sleep with you... Just to observe sleep paralysis I mean. :p

I get it sometimes too, but only if I sleep during the day. I've never halluciated during it though but I played around with moving my limbs during it. It always feels like I'm moving something, yet my limbs really aren't moving. It was kind of like moving through water slowly.

I've wanted to experiement with it before like having a clock within view to see if my percievment of time is altered while under sleep paralysis. It would be informative to have an observer as well to see if my limbs really are moving or no when it happens.

LOL, awkward XD.

I would like to observe it like that...But yeah, the hallucinations make it hard to think. XD

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 5:13 pm

i had 3 my whole life, which would be roughly 1 every decade :D

you can take that! :D

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 5:23 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:
i had 3 my whole life, which would be roughly 1 every decade :D

you can take that! :D

You should make it a holiday. Like your birthday, but your ditennial paralysis day!