Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 6:56 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lCp8UIRub4&NR=1[/youtube]

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 8:43 pm

Whoah...this is quite interesting...I wonder if my mom knows about the story because we live on the US-Canadian border in Northern NY and she listens to CBC Radio often. What a disturbing event.

addison
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Feb 2010, 8:45 pm

ugh...stupid cops. even if they thought he was drunk or something, they could have tested him for sobriety or something but nooooo. they had to just go ahead and throw him in jail. there's more examples like this of cops just....ugh. this kind of thing just makes me so mad. i don't blame him for resisting. he did absolutely nothing wrong. when you get all these corrupt cops, then people will start to fear cops and then that proves that law enforcement truly doesn't work.

and another thing: i never heard an apology, did anyone else?

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 8:50 pm

wow thats sad they dind't listen to him!

The mom should look into getting him some "I have autism," medica; alert id so if they DON"T listen he can show them!

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 9:10 pm

hence why the justice system needs to be completely rewritten.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 10:10 pm

I'm sure this isn't uncommon. It's happend to me before.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 11:25 pm

This is why I'm scared about traveling by plane, I'm afraid my odd mannerisms will be a red light to airport security.

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Feb 2010, 1:02 pm

This is really disturbing, especially when I think about how I must look to other people when I'm out walking. I don't drive, and I live in an urban area, so I frequently travel places on foot. I have extremely poor proprioceptive and spatial skills, which means that it doesn't come naturally for me to walk in a straight line. I can walk in a straight line when I focus on how I'm walking, but I'm not going to spend the entire duration of a walk thinking about how I'm walking when there are so many more interesting things to think about. There are also places I walk to on a regular basis that are a mile or more away from where I live, such as my job, and my parents' place. I'm not going to spend the entirety of those walks thinking about how I'm walking. Thus, I don't walk in a straight line, and this has attracted comments on occasion. I also tend to have a somewhat awkward gait, which has also attracted some comments. I once had a complete stranger tell me to "pick up my feet" when I walk. Additionally, I tend to spend a great deal of my time out walking lost in thought and not completely tuned in to my surroundings. I've also noticed in looking at photos of myself that my eyes sometimes randomly slide completely out of focus. I'm sure I frequently look drunk or stoned when I'm out walking places. I definitely attract some looks, and the occasional comment. Even so, I've never been apprehended by the police, though. I suppose one of the perks of being female is that people are less inclined to perceive me as a threat.
I suppose it's unsettling to many when someone is behaving in a way that's considered unusual, and most people find drug and alcohol abuse easier to make sense of than neurological differences, so they tend to jump to conclusions accordingly.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 4:38 pm

Much the same thing happened to me, and I ended up getting the s**t kicked out of me by the arresting officers. Difference is that (according to that article) THEIR police are not yet trained in dealing with autism. OUR police are.. and they STILL did it anyway. So I wouldn't put much faith in "training" helping anyone out.

And no, there was no apology anywhere in that lot, and I never got one either.. just a ticket and orders to attend alchohol awareness counselling...

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 6:32 pm

Police focus topic

Many times neighbours have asked my kids if I am on drugs.

They did not have the guts to ask me first.

Rest assured, dear readers, I am not impaired!

Police forces are so intent in cracking down on crime that they will continue to make mistakes like this. I think I will get a medic alert bracelet. :wink:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

addison
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2010, 9:56 pm

Macbeth wrote:
Much the same thing happened to me, and I ended up getting the sh** kicked out of me by the arresting officers. Difference is that (according to that article) THEIR police are not yet trained in dealing with autism. OUR police are.. and they STILL did it anyway. So I wouldn't put much faith in "training" helping anyone out.

And no, there was no apology anywhere in that lot, and I never got one either.. just a ticket and orders to attend alchohol awareness counselling...

that does not surprise me. fortunally i don't have a problem with people thinking i'm drunk or anything. guess my public behavior isn't "different" enough (or whatever you wanna call it) for that. but nonetheless, i have a slight fear of cops.

i hope all goes well for you guys that do have these problems....God bless.