Do you feel odd running into people from your past?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 9:53 pm

Today at the pharmacy I ran into someone from College (Yall know how that upsets me so obviously those thoughts came rushing back!) Anyway I wasn't real good friends with her but as I was leaving mom said say bye so I did and did a light wave. It fealt so odd. I kind of hate running into people from my past. (Sure I made a topic of wishing I was still friends with some of them) but running into them kind of makes you wonder where are they at in life and it makes you look at where you are in life etc. :-(

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

14 Feb 2010, 12:08 am

I do feel odd whe occurs. I put a lot of effort into avoiding people I may recognize (or rather they recognize me since I am really bad at faces).

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2010, 12:39 am

It really depends for me who it is and the history that is involved between us.

I cherish running into people from my past. It gives me an opportunity to not only reflect on the past, but to realize how much I have accomplished (or not) since I had an association with that person.

Last edited by passionatebach on 14 Feb 2010, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2010, 2:13 am

Ah, you wanna know something freaky? My dad ran into one of my high school classmates today at the post office. Considering the fact that my high school was in Arlington, TN and my current place of residence is in Laramie, WY... friggin small world.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2010, 12:59 pm

Very much so; if I'm lucky enough to spot them first from a distance, I just pretend I don't see them because I don't know how they'd react if they did see me. So yes I always feel very awkward and many things can happen, they either say hi or they say nothing. I'll admit I never initiate the conversation,.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 12:49 pm

It makes me feel uneasy, when I run into people that I knew from college, 16 years ago. The old memories come back, and than I feel like I've never left college. It feels very strange.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2010, 2:26 pm

It makes me feel even more awkward than usual. Even with my most recently lost friends who I haven't seen for like 2 years. When I see them somewhere they're always like "how are you, what have you been doing" and I've done nothing at all productive, and they've finished university, traveled, done things. I'm usually pretty depressed after an encounter like that when I realise I'm wasting my life (but don't know how to change it!!). Would be even worse I think to run into people from high school which was 4 years ago and I haven't done anything since, not even work. I feel like a complete failure when faced with people my age. :(

For some strange reason though I keep dreaming about people I went to primary school with. Even last night I had another dream about them, no idea why since I haven't seen them in 8 years or so. But I've been dreaming of them for a while now, randomly.

LayneMeeks
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Feb 2010, 1:17 pm

I always dread, and I mean dread running into people from High school. During Highschool before certain things happened in mylife, I was naive, alittle more outgoing, better socially.

If I run into someone I feel I have to live up to the standards they knew me by, then it gets really akward and I just try to finish the conversation as quick as possible. I have this idea in my head that memories should stay that way, and me trying to catch up with them would only taint the past.\

hellopeople
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2010, 12:49 am

I just recently stumbled across a couple of people on facebook that I went to school with years ago and added them. I tried talking to them and it turns out they don't even remember me.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 4:33 am

I don't feel odd when this happens, just a little uncomfortable depending on the person. If I don't like them, I just ignore them. If I thought they were alright, we will say hello. But otherwise, no oddness.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 9:59 am

I ran into someone who knew me in kindergarten . I had forgotten her face, but she remembered me. It was awful. She recalled all of my bad behavior but nothing about me as a person, and insisted on recounting every tale she could think of. :roll: Including the teachers who mistakenly treated me like a moron. Hehe.
Many of my peers in high school know me from my younger years (3rd-8th grade.) They LOVE bringing up strange things I've done. I only thought I disliked them in those years but now I sort of feel...like delicately ripping out out my eyeballs every time they try to initiate a conversation. It brings back distinct memories of mistreatment and bullying... For some reason they don't seem to remember that part.
I could really do without meeting people from my past.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 10:29 am

SamwiseGamgee wrote:
It makes me feel even more awkward than usual. Even with my most recently lost friends who I haven't seen for like 2 years. When I see them somewhere they're always like "how are you, what have you been doing" and I've done nothing at all productive, and they've finished university, traveled, done things. I'm usually pretty depressed after an encounter like that when I realise I'm wasting my life (but don't know how to change it!!). Would be even worse I think to run into people from high school which was 4 years ago and I haven't done anything since, not even work. I feel like a complete failure when faced with people my age. :(

For some strange reason though I keep dreaming about people I went to primary school with. Even last night I had another dream about them, no idea why since I haven't seen them in 8 years or so. But I've been dreaming of them for a while now, randomly.

This is HOW I FEEL! I haven't done much so I feel AWFUL running into people from my past!! !! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !

Heliobacter20
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Feb 2010, 9:25 pm

I hate running into people from my past for the most part. Usually it's because I have made a lot of progress since they saw me and am a very different person now, but they know me as the old me and I find the old me embarassing.
Sometimes I run into people who seem really enamoured of me, full of admiration and whatnot and that just makes me uncomfortable. And I mean, really, who in their right mind would look up to me?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 10:18 am

Pretty much all of the above. Occasionally it is good, if it be one of the People, but awkward.

Very like being with your Group A friends and running into one of your Group B friends. You don't know who you are and who you can be or should be.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 3:44 am

I run into people from high school when I'm at work... at my little minimum wage job. Then I have these horrible thoughts like "Oh holy hell. What is she? Is she a doctor or something? I'M the smart one. *I* was top of the class. *I* should have been the doctor or lawyer or whatever."

But then I'll notice how fat she is and invent some imaginary scenario where whomever I saw got married right out of high school and popped out four kids in three years. That's how I comfort myself.

E-Wreck
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Feb 2010, 1:10 am

I personally love it! Actually. I found quite a few friends from my childhood on Facebook and Myspace. It felt so amazing since many of them I hadn't seen since I was like 10! I love running into people from my past, as long as I had an okay relationship with them. If it was okay, why not? If there wasn't any relationship at all and you both hated each other, why even make contact? But, usually, I even say hi to acquientinces.