Daryl Hannah Blacklisted by Hollywood due to Asperger's

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 6:11 pm

It could have been one of these confusing calls that is largely social with an overlay of business.

Or, the person could have been coming on to her. And this of course can be done in either a respectful sense of someone who wants to get to know a person, or in the manner of someone who is a user.

Stone_Man
Toucan
Toucan

08 Apr 2010, 10:56 am

There aren't many jobs where schmoozing doesn't play an important part (which is no doubt why certain occupations are statistically over-represented by aspies). I don't think this is any less true for the so-called "creative" professions than it is in the corporate world.

I can remember low and mid-level department managers in my company being told they'd better learn to play golf or they'd never get anywhere in the company, the implication being that you needed to schmooze with the higher-ups or they'd decide you weren't "one of them", and your career would be a dead-end.

Back to Darryl Hannah ... I saw her on a talk show many years ago, noted her mannerisms and so forth, her manner of speaking, and immediately thought to myself ... "she's one of us!"

Maranatha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Apr 2010, 6:14 pm

richie wrote:
Her greatest role was Pris the replicant in Bladerunner.

That's really interesting, I never realized she was someone with AS traits. Has anybody actually read the book version of Blade Runner ("Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep")?

There's something that really hit me about the characters in that book (long before I heard of AS). Looking back, there is a painful level of aspieness in one of the book's characters (J.R. Isidore) and how he's treated with such emotional coldness by the other character Pris. Felt like those two characters were a nod toward my own social meltdowns in the past, kinda freaked me out!

I don't know that this came across in the movie as much as it did in the book, but in the book it really stood out to me. No idea if this was even the intention the author had or not. Just thought that was interesting to think about.

I wonder if Daryl Hannah had any impressions about the book?

BerlinDancer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Oct 2012, 11:29 pm

Daryl Hannah is a great actress.

One of her best movies is actually a hidden gem which went straight to DVD called "First Target" where she is the head of the President's Secret Service security detail and has to foil a plot to assassinate him whilst he's on vacation in a remote spot. Great movie. Great acting.

Check it out if you get the opportunity.

She was also great in "The Gingerbread Man" although she had a smaller role.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2012, 1:55 am

alex wrote:
Quote:
Actress Daryl Hannah (Kill Bill) claims that at the beginning of her career she was "blacklisted" by Hollywood studios because she suffered from Asperger's Syndrome.

The illness limited social interaction and made it very difficult for her to do film promotions since it required talking to lots of people.

She said: "I never went on talk shows, never went to premieres. Going to the Academy Awards was so painful for me. I'd almost faint just walking down the red carpet. I was so socially awkward and uncomfortable that I eventually got blacklisted."

"Studio executives would call me but I'd be too shy to call them back. So after a while a couple of studios literally told my manager that I was blacklisted."

Despite first starring in films like "Splash," "Roxanne," "Wall Street" and "Steel Magnolias," she eventually had to settle for many straight to video projects.

Source: PA Entertainment

Read more: http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.p ... z0fW69XY9u

I couldn't help but notice the article describes Asperger's from the onset as an illness. Small wonder Hollywood had wanted to cast her aside with such a misunderstanding of what Asperger's is.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2012, 4:07 pm

Maranatha wrote:
richie wrote:
Her greatest role was Pris the replicant in Bladerunner.

That's really interesting, I never realized she was someone with AS traits. Has anybody actually read the book version of Blade Runner ("Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep")?

There's something that really hit me about the characters in that book (long before I heard of AS). Looking back, there is a painful level of aspieness in one of the book's characters (J.R. Isidore) and how he's treated with such emotional coldness by the other character Pris. Felt like those two characters were a nod toward my own social meltdowns in the past, kinda freaked me out!

I don't know that this came across in the movie as much as it did in the book, but in the book it really stood out to me. No idea if this was even the intention the author had or not. Just thought that was interesting to think about.

I wonder if Daryl Hannah had any impressions about the book?

I have. That was a really good book. Never saw Bladerunner.

Her best role?? 1986, as Ayla in Clan of the Cave Bear. Maybe AS explains why she was such an absolute natural in that role. I have read the book many times, seen the movie only once (and then as a young child), but Daryl Hannah IS Ayla for me.

On the subject of AS and blacklisting-- of course you have to be a social butterfly to be a megastar.

And then look what happens to them. Divorces, bitter custody battles, tabloid headlines, and death by overdose in a hotel bathtub. I'd say AS and being blacklisted served Daryl Hannah pretty well-- she might never have become a megastar, but then again, her career never imploded, either. Twenty years after CotCB, she's still an awesome actress. She was the only good thing in Kill Bill. Watching her really helps me tolerate my hubby and father-in-law watching those stupid movies over and over and over again.q