Daryl Hannah Blacklisted by Hollywood due to Asperger's

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 5:51 pm

And DeaconBlues, it sounds like you also have excellent social skills with your junior-high principal!

(up until about 10th grade, I often felt I had more in common with the teachers than with my fellow students, and then it was a little like the other students caught up)

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 1:48 am

Just looked up Daryl Hannah's role in Kill Bill on IMDB:

Kill Bill vol. 1 on Internet Movie Database

Hate to say that I haven't seen her, the most I've seen of Kill Bill is the Crazy 88's fight scene. I'll have to watch it again.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 8:34 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
Just looked up Daryl Hannah's role in Kill Bill on IMDB:

Kill Bill vol. 1 on Internet Movie Database

Hate to say that I haven't seen her, the most I've seen of Kill Bill is the Crazy 88's fight scene. I'll have to watch it again.

It's funny, based on that character you would never guess that she was an aspie. Guess that makes her a good actress.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 4:34 pm

Or maybe acting provides enough social structure, and it's not so free form.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 7:47 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Or maybe acting provides enough social structure, and it's not so free form.

This is no doubt true as one not only knows precisely what is expected of them, but also no longer has the problem of knowing what to expect from others, nor the problem of having to interpret others.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 8:10 pm

She sounds a bit nuts.

However, I have to say...

...MILF.

Glad I got that off my chest.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 4:31 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:

And the way you put it - that according to this formulation, "there's no such thing as Asperger's" - is a bit like those who claim I can't have AS because I wasn't diagnosed as a child - when DSM-II was still the latest word, and there wasn't even such a category in there as "high-functioning autistic"; if you could talk, you didn't get the diagnosis. AS still existed, it just didn't have a label, so instead I was just "weird". (My junior-high principal tried to tell me that I was "eccentric", but as I explained to him, in order to be "eccentric", you have to be rich enough that people will ignore the odd things you do and say. Not being rich, I was "weird".)

I guess I could be the same way, as late as the early 90's, a psychologist said "if there were such a thing as a little bit autistic," that would fit me. During childhood, I was too high functioning for an autism diagnosis, as I talked and had an above average IQ. It wasn't until I was 28 that I was able to get the official Asperger's diagnosis, after a therapist I was seeing for PTSD suggested I get evaluated for it.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 6:09 pm

Tequila wrote:
She sounds a bit nuts.

...MILF.

Word. *high five*

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 6:24 pm

Lecks wrote:
Tequila wrote:
She sounds a bit nuts.

...MILF.

Word. *high five*

Is she, in fact, a mother? :? I read on line she designs board games now.

http://boardgames.about.com/od/partygam ... ebrary.htm

cyberbint
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Feb 2010, 3:53 pm

Polgara wrote:
Quote:
(My junior-high principal tried to tell me that I was "eccentric", but as I explained to him, in order to be "eccentric", you have to be rich enough that people will ignore the odd things you do and say. Not being rich, I was "weird".)

That sounds almost exactly right. (You could also be "eccentric" if you were an academic.)

You can be an eccentric academic if you're a man, or working speicifcally on feminist areas.

Otherwise, you're just weird. :x

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 9:45 pm

"Studio executives would call me but I'd be too shy to call them back. So after a while a couple of studios literally told my manager that I was blacklisted."

wtf do u expect?

"I didnt land the multimillion deal with the company because i was too shy to call back, now the boss wants to fire me...they must have something against people with aspergers.

on a side note: my avatar was changed...fascist!

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 11:36 pm

Doesn't Hollywood blacklist everyone who's in the so-called minority?

This isn't news.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 9:39 pm

"Studio executives would call me but I'd be too shy to call them back. . .

That's why you've got to have an agent buffering for you.

And people trying to break into the business could very much use a friend or family member serving this same function.

The studio executives could have been making social overtures in confusing, partial, indirect ways, where you're left wondering, 'What does the person want?'

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 11:00 pm

Her agent or manager should've been fielding those calls for her anyway. But yeah, if you are shy or different or don't kiss butt correctly, Hollywood can be a cold town.

How do I know? I lived there, I tried to be an actress too, and it's amazing the egos and special treatment everyone wants there. If you aren't good at that (or have a great team to do it for you), it can really hurt you.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 3:19 pm

Let's cut the s**t. How the f**k are they supposed to know what's up if she never called them back? Obviously they're not gonna work with her if she isn't calling back. Not calling back means you're not interested. I thought NT's read body language and facial expressions, not minds.

One thing that amazes me is how people claim superiority about how we're super rational, yet those same people get emotional when it comes to a perceived attack on us. This reminds me of that "financial crisis caused by AS" thread.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 6:11 pm

It could have been one of these confusing calls that is largely social with an overlay of business.

Or, the person could have been coming on to her. And this of course can be done in either a respectful sense of someone who wants to get to know a person, or in the manner of someone who is a user.