Page 5 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:25 pm

j0sh wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
My psychiatrist has also said to me that I've learned much, and that I AM high functioning.

Did your psychiatrist tell you that being "high functioning" made you better than someone who wasn't?

Yes, although I don't even know how to behave among other aspies even though I'm high functioning.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:28 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
j0sh wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
My psychiatrist has also said to me that I've learned much, and that I AM high functioning.

Did your psychiatrist tell you that being "high functioning" made you better than someone who wasn't?

Yes, although I don't even know how to behave at this site even though I'm high functioning.

Edited, double post.

You may want to find a new psychiatrist then. If someone told me something that ignorant, I don't think I could trust anything they told me.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:28 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
pat2rome wrote:
pat2rome wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
I don't say that I want people with autism to be beaten up, I just hope they get cured with as little force as necessary, I don't look up to people who rock by the way.

What if they don't want to be cured? What do you do then?

Also, we already know that you don't look up to people who rock. Why does that matter at all? I don't look up to Cohen because he rocks; I look up to him because he has Asperger's yet founded and owns his own corporation. Why can you not look past the fact that he rocks and appreciate his accomplishments?

I'm not fond of those kind of computer things, just entertainment.

You missed the point entirely (and failed to answer the question of what you would do if a low-functioning autistic did not wish to be cured).

Imagine somebody does something that you would normally admire them for. However, this person also rocks. Would you be able to look past that and appreciate his accomplishments, or would you no longer admire him because he rocks?

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:29 pm

pat2rome wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
pat2rome wrote:
pat2rome wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
I don't say that I want people with autism to be beaten up, I just hope they get cured with as little force as necessary, I don't look up to people who rock by the way.

What if they don't want to be cured? What do you do then?

Also, we already know that you don't look up to people who rock. Why does that matter at all? I don't look up to Cohen because he rocks; I look up to him because he has Asperger's yet founded and owns his own corporation. Why can you not look past the fact that he rocks and appreciate his accomplishments?

I'm not fond of those kind of computer things, just entertainment.

You missed the point entirely (and failed to answer the question of what you would do if a low-functioning autistic did not wish to be cured).

Imagine somebody does something that you would normally admire them for. However, this person also rocks. Would you be able to look past that and appreciate his accomplishments, or would you no longer admire him because he rocks?

I think.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:31 pm

j0sh wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
j0sh wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:

Yes, although I don't even know how to behave at this site even though I'm high functioning.

Edited, double post.

You may want to find a new psychiatrist then. If someone told me something that ignorant, I don't think I could trust anything they told me.

I meant that I don't know how to behave around fellow ASPIES, I know how to behave around NT's, but not aspies.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:32 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
pat2rome wrote:

I think.

1. You still have not answered my other question: What would you do if a low-functioning autistic did not wish to be cured?

2. That was not a yes-or-no question. Did you mean "I think I would look up to him" or "I think I would no longer look up to him"?

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:33 pm

pat2rome wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
pat2rome wrote:

I think.

1. You still have not answered my other question: What would you do if a low-functioning autistic did not wish to be cured?

2. That was not a yes-or-no question. Did you mean "I think I would look up to him" or "I think I would no longer look up to him"?

1. I wouldn't do anything, just cry rivers if it was my son.

2. "I think I would look up to him".

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:39 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
pat2rome wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
pat2rome wrote:

I think.

So you wouldn't force him to get a cure if he was able to communicate the fact he didn't want one. What if another didn't want to be cured, but was unaware of how to make this known? You would be forcing a cure that he didn't want upon him.

Why would the rocking not matter in only this particular case? Why does it not cause you to look down on this person as someone who looks like an idiot and is unworthy of admiration?

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:43 pm

pat2rome wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
pat2rome wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
pat2rome wrote:

I think.

So you wouldn't force him to get a cure if he was able to communicate the fact he didn't want one. What if another didn't want to be cured, but was unaware of how to make this known? You would be forcing a cure that he didn't want upon him.

Why would the rocking not matter in only this particular case? Why does it not cause you to look down on this person as someone who looks like an idiot and is unworthy of admiration?

1. I would probably trick him.

2. I look down on many people who rock, with an exception of a few maybe.

PS. I'm NOT LOW-FUNCTIONING!

I don't rock back and forth, I can socialize with some NT's, I can make fun of a celebrity who made an *ss out of herself on the runway etc.

Last edited by bdhkhsfgk on 19 Feb 2010, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:44 pm

pat2rome wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
pat2rome wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
pat2rome wrote:

I think.

He's going to respond with whatever he thinks will upset you. It's a game. Try not to let it get to you.

valkyrieraven88
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2010, 4:48 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
pat2rome wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
pat2rome wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
pat2rome wrote:

I think.

2. I look down on many people who rock, with an exception of a few maybe.

I don't rock back and forth, I can socialize with some NT's, I can make fun of a celebrity who made an *ss out of herself on the runway etc.

Rocking does not equal low-functioning. I'm high-functioning and so was the boy I was talking about.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:49 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:

2. I look down on many people who rock, with an exception of few maybe.

You would trick him into getting a cure that he didn't want? In other words, you WOULD force cures upon people whether or not they consented.

WHY do you look down on people who rock?

I never said you were low-functioning, and I don't really care. I'm very high-functioning, I have a large amount of friends, I find small talk very easy, I have fun going to parties, and more. I also rock back and forth as one of my stims. It's not just low-functioning people who do.

One of my neighbors rocks back and forth in the pews every week at church. He is a doctor, he has a wife and two daughters, a happy marriage and a large income. Do you look down on him because he rocks?

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:50 pm

j0sh wrote:
He's going to respond with whatever he thinks will upset you. It's a game. Try not to let it get to you.

It's not getting to me; I'm just trying to figure out his thought processes. Also, I'm procrastinating instead of doing a stupid proposal.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:51 pm

pat2rome wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:

You would trick him into getting a cure that he didn't want? In other words, you WOULD force cures upon people whether or not they consented.

Do you look down on him because he rocks?

No.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:56 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
pat2rome wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:

No.

I'd like a lot more elaboration than that. Assuming you were answering the last question, why do you not look down on him, even though he rocks, but look down on others who have achieved similar success who rock?

Also elaborate on the "I would trick him" answer. Was I right in interpreting that as "I would trick a low-functioning person who didn't want to be cured into being cured"?

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 4:58 pm

pat2rome wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
pat2rome wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:

No.

I'd like a lot more elaboration than that. Assuming you were answering the last question, why do you not look down on him, even though he rocks, but look down on others who have achieved similar success who rock?

Also elaborate on the "I would trick him" answer. Was I right in interpreting that as "I would trick a low-functioning person who didn't want to be cured into being cured"?

I don't like manipulative people, I will end this conversation now.