do most aspies have to be on antidepressants permanently?

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 11:53 am

Just started another stupid anti-depressant....uhh I feel like crap so kinda more willing to try whatever. But yeah it might help a little or just make things worse like all the past ones. Either way not sure I'd want to be on such things for the rest of my life.

JacobV
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2014, 12:34 pm

staremaster wrote:
I spent years on anti-depressants. At first they seemed to help with my depression, but then maybe I developed a tolerance for them or something. After the first year it became a situation like : "Keep taking these pills because your life will get worse if you stop." But for the first eight - ten months or so they really had a positive impact, in spite of the weird side effects.

I can totally understand "life gets worse if you stop". Before I finally quit lexapro for good, after a few months of starting it, I got tired of feeling dependent on it and paying so much for it and I would stop for a while and then start again when my emotions went out of control (as a result of withdrawal symptoms) With lexapro I saw my depression decrease but my aspergers still there and prominently making life uncomfortable and hard for me. I was still unable to have conversations with people, I still felt left out, I still felt unloved and almost invisible, and I was still very very depressed with the low-level go-nowhere job I had.

Antidepressants don't make your life better, and they don't cure anything. I would compare them to recreational drugs: They are great at altering your mood and making you feel temporary good, or at least "OK", but they really don't cure anything.

I would caution aspies about taking antidepressants. You get told that they will help you make you feel better... yeah that's exactly what every drug-dealer on the street says to convince you to try something. It will make you feel better TEMPORARILY and then you will have a WORLD of hurt following when you want to or have to stop. And even if you stay on it forever, you will start feeling totally empty and you won't be able to recognize yourself in a weird way which is ALL we have as aspies.

Antidepressants are no good for Aspies imo.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2014, 12:57 pm

JacobV wrote:
staremaster wrote:
I spent years on anti-depressants. At first they seemed to help with my depression, but then maybe I developed a tolerance for them or something. After the first year it became a situation like : "Keep taking these pills because your life will get worse if you stop." But for the first eight - ten months or so they really had a positive impact, in spite of the weird side effects.

I can totally understand "life gets worse if you stop". Before I finally quit lexapro for good, after a few months of starting it, I got tired of feeling dependent on it and paying so much for it and I would stop for a while and then start again when my emotions went out of control (as a result of withdrawal symptoms) With lexapro I saw my depression decrease but my aspergers still there and prominently making life uncomfortable and hard for me. I was still unable to have conversations with people, I still felt left out, I still felt unloved and almost invisible, and I was still very very depressed with the low-level go-nowhere job I had.

Antidepressants don't make your life better, and they don't cure anything. I would compare them to recreational drugs: They are great at altering your mood and making you feel temporary good, or at least "OK", but they really don't cure anything.

I would caution aspies about taking antidepressants. You get told that they will help you make you feel better... yeah that's exactly what every drug-dealer on the street says to convince you to try something. It will make you feel better TEMPORARILY and then you will have a WORLD of hurt following when you want to or have to stop. And even if you stay on it forever, you will start feeling totally empty and you won't be able to recognize yourself in a weird way which is ALL we have as aspies.

Antidepressants are no good for Aspies imo.

Of course drugs don't cure anything....that is ridiculous. But sometimes the do help alleviate unpleasant symptoms and such. One should definitly be careful about anti-depressants even though they are 'prescribed'. People should always be aware that drug effects are only temporary.........then again with psychedelics sometimes people have quite mind opening experiances that can cause more permanent change that is more a change in perspective so its not the chemical itself that creates the change.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 1:27 pm

Tomorrow I will be speaking to my GP regarding the possibility of trying antidepressants again. I have been on and off them for years but I always reach a stage where I no longer see any value in taking them.

The only antidepressant which worked for me was Citalopram but I had been taking it for over 5 months and I was physically active at the time.

I may make an enquiry about Sertraline or Fluoxetine tomorrow, but I am worried that they will cause weight gain and decrease my sex drive even further.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jul 2017, 5:54 pm

I don't. They have some benefits, but I didn't like the side effects. On the other hand, I'm not depressed nor suicidal, I have OCD, but more pure-O kind, so I can lead a normal life with that.