Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Did you ever meet a real live human being in the flesh through eHarmony?
Yes 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
No 28%  28%  [ 13 ]
Never tried, but interested 23%  23%  [ 11 ]
Never tried and never will 45%  45%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 47

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Mar 2010, 7:20 am

I got matched at eHarmony with somebody who was obviously fake. I'm a freelance writer and since then I have seen the ads for writers to pose as a "match." I should have twigged when I said that I'm a reader and got 5 different matches who all said "James Patterson - short chapters!"

Did anybody here do any better?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 8:11 am

It wasn't eHarmony, but OKcupid, another dating site. I met a woman a couple of times who I shared some interests with. It didn't go too badly, she was nice enough, but I think she just wasn't interested in me to any great extent, and I her, I suppose. I might have a look at eHarmony.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 8:14 am

Heh, one of the first questions is 'how many times have you been married?' I'm guessing that this is gonna be divorcee city...

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 12:23 pm

My ex-boss, the Sinister Mr. Scrooge, signed up for EHarmony. He'd get at least 5 to 10 replies every day. It's not exactly selective.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 12:25 pm

Those sites are stupid. This Google parody of a dating site makes me laugh, though: http://www.google.com/romance/tour.html :lol:

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 12:41 pm

I had luck with OK cupid. I did alot of casual dating, and ultimately found my partner on that site.

I have noticed on alot of paid websites have fake postings, including eharmony. I personally don't like eHarmony for a variety of reasons (partially because OKcupid does something similiar better, and its a free site).

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 6:47 pm

My only issue with eHarmony is that they tend to discriminate against many groups. It's not limited to the LGBT community, but they tend to be the country club of dating sites.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 12:30 pm

Eharmony parent company is owned and operated by christian fundamentalists. That's why they discriminate against... well everyone except the cookie cutter 50s notion of romance: same race, man and woman, religious.

Match.com is seemingly run by a group of ex car salesman: upsells, sleezy marketing ,etc etc... you name it they've done it. As soon as you buy A from them, you'll get an e-mail trying to sell you B. If you buy B they'll try to sell you C. Lots of members on match.com (well at least women) are gorgeous though. But none of them were looking for anything serious.

OKcupid is a dating site for geeks. No really. I looked around and found like three above avearage looking women there. Zero athletes.

Online thing has been a complete waste of time for me. I must have met 10-12 interesting women in real life during the couple of years I've been trying online.

Unorthodox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2010, 4:28 pm

When I filled out the forms from E-Harmony, it came up with an error message saying I was unmatchable... Seriously. I've used a few of the other sites at different times, I've met women from Match, OKCupid, Adult Friend Finder and Craigslist, and at this point I'd have to say the best of the bunch is Craigslist, with a few very large caveats. I did a whole thread on how to use CL to meet people once, so I'm not going to rehash it here, but the short version is that if you want to meet serious people on CL, you have to be patient, post a picture, use a code word system, and be prepared to weed out a bunch of fakes, if you're willing to go through that it's free, local and popular, and I've met everyone from one night stands (by mutual consent) to LTR material there, it's all a matter of knowing where and how to look.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 10:23 pm

Unorthodox wrote:
When I filled out the forms from E-Harmony, it came up with an error message saying I was unmatchable... Seriously. I've used a few of the other sites at different times, I've met women from Match, OKCupid, Adult Friend Finder and Craigslist, and at this point I'd have to say the best of the bunch is Craigslist, with a few very large caveats. I did a whole thread on how to use CL to meet people once, so I'm not going to rehash it here, but the short version is that if you want to meet serious people on CL, you have to be patient, post a picture, use a code word system, and be prepared to weed out a bunch of fakes, if you're willing to go through that it's free, local and popular, and I've met everyone from one night stands (by mutual consent) to LTR material there, it's all a matter of knowing where and how to look.

If by fakes you mean borderline personality disorder head cases...

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 10:26 pm

Claradoon wrote:
I got matched at eHarmony with somebody who was obviously fake. I'm a freelance writer and since then I have seen the ads for writers to pose as a "match." I should have twigged when I said that I'm a reader and got 5 different matches who all said "James Patterson - short chapters!"

Did anybody here do any better?

I don't think I'll be giving e-harmony another chance. A few hits seemed promising. One petered out and wouldn't respond anymore, and one was so shy she never wanted to do anything besides send the questionaires thing back and forth, meaning she never wanted to get on private instant message.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 11:12 pm

Unorthodox wrote:

I tryed eHarmony years ago but I was also unmatched! That made me feel like even more of a weirdo than what was normal for me. I developed an aversion and never tried and Internet dating since. I looked on CL before but never saw anything interesting enough. Maybe it was the area I was living in at the time. So it goes :)

Taupey

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 8:51 am

Okcupid seems superior in every way.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 1:05 pm

I just plain can't do online dating. I can't look through pictures of me and find any that actually look like me. Then again, I have the same problem when I look in the mirror.

Is there a body dysmorphic dating site?

leschevalsroses
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2010, 1:49 pm

Northeastern292 wrote:
My only issue with eHarmony is that they tend to discriminate against many groups. It's not limited to the LGBT community, but they tend to be the country club of dating sites.

I heard that they don't match you up if in your preliminary survey thingy you show signs of "mental instability". I did their free trial just for kicks so see if I was accepted and I was...but they did ask a lot of questions that dove into that sort of thing. I've heard they don't take you if you put you're depressed. :?

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 9:59 pm

Wow. I guess from a fundie point of view, being gay would count as "mental instability".

I've heard from other people (and I think this was actually in an article) that they discriminate against the LGBT community. Now, I'm straight so this doesn't affect me, but I'm also human, so those slimeballs ain't getting my money.