Dubai to issue warrant for Israel PM Netanyahu's arrest

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

If Benjamin Netanyahu is wanted by Dubai police
Netanyahu should turn himself in to authorities 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
Netanyahu should ingest cyanide to evade police hands permanently 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Netanyahu should keep hiding in Israel and make his country face the shame of its government being led by someone wanted by police 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
Netanyahu should threaten war to try to scare Dubai into rescinding the warrant 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 3:39 am

Netanyahu arrest warrant

When the time comes, he should be a man and turn himself in. I suggest he go in his own orange jumpsuit.

Unorthodox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2010, 4:50 am

I don't see an option for "Netanyahu doesn't dignify international grandstanding with a response", I'm sure the oversight will be corrected.

Given what I know of Israel and it's politics, I'm fairly certain that:

A: Being wanted by an Arab state is far from embarrassing for an Israeli PM, in fact it's probably considered a badge of honor

B: Even if an Israeli PM had wanted to travel to Dubai the police would be at the bottom of their potential threat list

C: That the Israelis are taking this proposed warrant with all the seriousness and decorum that they would afford the threat of a Canadian invasion

In other words, rattling a wiffle-bat just doesn't get the same response that a saber does.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 2:17 pm

This is not international grandstanding, this is police work. Evidence has been uncovered pointing to Netanyahu as having ordered a murder in Dubai. The Israeli press itself announced that he ordered the murder. If you commit murder, you go to prison. Come to think of it, Dubai probably has the death penalty. If Netanyahu doesn't want to swing from a noose, well, it's too late for him, he shouldn't have ordered a murder like the gangster that he is.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 2:42 pm

Way to presume guilt over innocence; if an aggressive foreign state issued an arrest warrant for a member of a government they were at odds with, I have significant reservations as to whether these allegations have any foundation or are the result of political pressure. So in short... I find the poll not so much offensive as indicative of your own thoughts on the matter, and don't find your suggestions to have a foundation that I consider worthwhile at this time.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 3:20 pm

The Israeli press itself reported that he was responsible, so if he's being tried and condemned, it's by his country's own press. My own opinion is that it was leaked by Netanyahu's office in a bid to burnish his nationalist credentials by reveling in his lawlessness. There's a lot of the "screw the goy, who cares what they think" attitude there, which is their own idea of fun, but the question is why do we outside of that country have to put up with it? I would hope that Western countries, should he show up in one of them, would grab him and send him to Dubai as quickly as possible but unfortunately I see the Western countries sharing in the lawlessness with him.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 8:55 pm

Al Jazeera is hardly an objective source.

In any case, the article claims that he ordered the assassination of a Hamas leader. So? Various governments routinely attempt to kill terrorist leaders, I don't see how this is any different. Imagine if we actually managed to kill bin Laden and suddenly Hamid Karzai wants to arrest Obama for murder.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 3:47 am

Ordering a murder is still a crime. The Dubai authorities do not want their country to be a shooting gallery to be used by organised crime - and this includes crime ordered by heads of government. Some other jurisdictions may approve of this kind of murder but this one does not. The murder took place in that jurisdiction and therefore it's the right of the authorities there to issue a warrant and Interpol will circulate that warrant and other countries will have an obligation to hand him over to Dubai should he leave Israel. Oddly, the other day, the British grabbed former Federation Bosnia-Herzegovina President Ejup Ganic on a Serbian warrant connected with the ambush of Yugoslav federal troops whose passage was guaranteed from Sarajevo by western governments in 1992. Ganic is a Serbian-born Muslim Serbian who became a Bosnian Muslim politician and British government sympathies clearly are with him and his side and not the Serbian side yet they arrested him.

Has Al-Jazeera ever been caught fabricating news? If they have not, how can they be "unreliable". It's well-known that the New York Times, for instance, made fake news reports about fake Iraqi WMD. Fox News infamously took crowd scenes from better-attended right wing demonstrations and claimed that they showed up for a more current demonstration... just some examples. Even the American court system has declared that media outlets are allowed to tell lies if that's what the owners want and that journalists who don't comply with orders to lie should get the axe. It's a question of "freedom of speech", the courts claim. That is, the owner's speech and the journalists are his puppets. These courts are so close to bringing back slavery, it's not funny... in the name of free speech of course.

klick
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Mar 2010, 11:51 am

Interpol, even in the limited capacity that they operate as a liaison organization, is probably going to avoid going after Netanyahu. Their organizational constitution expressly forbids "...the Organization to undertake any intervention or activities of a political, military, religious or racial character." Trying to arrest the sitting Prime Minister of Israel (an Interpol member country) over alleged ties to the assassination of a Hamas military leader is way too political and way too military, and could set a precedent that could undermine Interpol's ability to operate as a policing organization by turning it into a tool to go after controversial leaders. There's also the risk that the Israelis could consider such an act to be an attack on their sovereignty as a nation, and retaliate with anything from arresting the diplomats of whatever country arrested the Prime Minister all the way to outright military action.

If this was an Israeli op, I think the highest they could go up the chain without risking serious fallout would be the field operative's handlers, and Dubai would have to supply concrete evidence of who participated.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 2:39 pm

Murder is murder. Interpol's duty is to bring murderers to justice. That the murder was done for political reasons is irrelevant. By that logic, those responsible for the September 11 attacks should not be brought to justice because these were political murders. By the way, of those attacks Netanyahu did say the immortal words "It's very good". Another reason to get him off the streets.

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 11:37 pm

xenon13 wrote:
Murder is murder. Interpol's duty is to bring murderers to justice. That the murder was done for political reasons is irrelevant. By that logic, those responsible for the September 11 attacks should not be brought to justice because these were political murders.

They certainly won't be brought to justice by Interpol.

Be careful what you wish for - if Interpol had the ability to go after political leaders effectively, the guy who was killed in Dubai would already have been in jail (or swinging from a noose), along with the rest of the Hamas leadership. Like the September 11 attackers Hamas is a terrorist group, and they have openly admitted to numerous murders. For example:

Quote:
The Shmuel HaNavi bus bombing was the suicide bombing of a crowded public bus in the Shmuel HaNavi quarter in Jerusalem, Israel, on August 19, 2003. Twenty-three people were killed and over 130 wounded. Many of the victims were children. The Islamist militant group Hamas claimed responsibility for the attack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_ ... de_bombing

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 2:56 am

The Israelis seized half of the Palestinian parliament because they were Hamas MPs - strange thing is that they were not charged with any offence, they were simply kept as hostages and still are. Conveniently the lack of a quorum was used to shut down the parliament altogether.

The Israelis never bothered to make a case against the man that they murdered in such a cowardly fashion.

It's about time that people stopped romanticising the lawless behaviour of the Israelis, in particular their contract killings a la Murder Inc. If they weren't so ruthless they wouldn't have had Hamas suicide bombers at all. My own theory is that coming out of the cauldron that was Eastern Europe in recent history, the Ashkenazi Jews were very hardened people led by ruthless people who saw all sort of examples of this from their environment, from the Prussians to the Bolshevik revolutionaries who came out of trying circumstances - not to mention their most deadly enemy, the Nazis. Palestine meanwhile was a sleepy backwater with no wars whatsoever for most of the past centuries since the Crusades. They had no chance there. Over times, they had to learn the lessons from their own Prussians, the Israelis.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 3:10 am

xenon13 wrote:
It's about time that people stopped romanticising the lawless behaviour of the Israelis, in particular their contract killings a la Murder Inc.

I don't think it's considered a contract killing when you do the work yourself, and in any case the Israelis have no need to contract out their wetwork. If they are in fact behind the Dubai hit, which has not even been proven to any conclusive degree, it would more rightly be considered an extrajudicial killing or an assassination of an enemy of the state, a risk I'm sure the man appreciated when he signed up for Hamas. Everyone knows the risk they take when they choose to attack the Israelis or provide assistance to those who do, I'd have thought that would be pretty clear to most people post 1973 or so.

Omerik
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Mar 2010, 6:55 am

Great news for him - now he doesn't have to deal with Iran!

Can you please take him away from us?
One of the most despicable leaders of this nation ever. He would be nothing without promoting fear. Rabin's blood is till on his hands.