Anyone else like to bite or chew things?

Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 8:58 am

I happen to enjoy chewing on people. I will do things like walk up to one of my kids and chew on their elbow or the meaty part of their thumb on the side of their hands... I do not bite people hard or anything... my husband calls me a weirdo and gets annoyed with it sometimes because he says it tickles when I chew on him. He will try to get me to get me to stop sometimes and we end up play fighting over it and he will swat at me and I will call him a stim blocker/hater. Heh. I find it altogether too amusing and while my husband does occasionally fuss at me over it, he really does not much mind. He tolerates me well.

Anyway... I really like to bite people. Sometimes I will chew on my cuticles or my own hands, but nothing is as satisfying to me as chewing on other people. It is just not the same as someone else. It feels off and wrong to me. I have been this way for as long as I can remember. I used to get in trouble as a kid for biting people because I never really understood that biting can hurt people. While I no longer bite people hard, I still want to bite them.

So I wonder, does anyone else enjoy a good bite or chew? What are your favorite things to chew on?

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 10:00 am

Wood. Wooden drink mixers. Toothpicks. Plastic straws and such. Myself upon anxiety. Not other people, though.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 10:08 am

I find myself chewing on straws, from time, to time.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 10:58 am

Although I don't think your biting hobby (!) is an aspie thing, biting or chewing is usually pretty good for aspies, because it helps with sensory issues. Like if you're in overload from flashy sights and irritating sounds, lying in a corner where you can get good pressure from the walls or furniture (or occasionally from your colleagues or neighbour, in my case!) will help, as will chewing on something like gum, or just gritting your teeth a bit. You can also squeeze your joints, and that's basically what happens to your jaw-joint when you're biting. The sense of touch is the only sense that can 'integrate' the others and give them a bit of a fixup, making them work properly together.

tonmeister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Mar 2010, 11:15 am

I used to chew stuff when I was a kid. I ate paper, and I chewed up the feet of my sister's Barbie dolls. I still find myself grinding my teeth and sometimes the insides of my cheeks or tongue.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 11:45 am

Yes! No, not really. I chew pens and pencils, and most anything else like toothpicks and such. It was just something I did without ever really understanding why, but now that I think about it, I realize that it correlates strongly with interacting with people and having to pay attention for a long time. As a kid I used to have an urge to bite people when they pick on me, and I am not sure I've never acted on that urge.

Don't bite hard things too much and keep your teeth clean, or you'll be sorry when all your teeth fall out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO2eoNEiVn0

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

ayra
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Location: My invented world, ie Kalia (kuh-lee-uh) or just stuck in Texas rollercoaster weather

11 Mar 2010, 1:36 pm

Gum, pen lids, straws, the spot between thumb and pointer finger, inside of cheek, that sort of thing. When I am really upset I will curl up in a tight spot and chew my hand.

My cat is the only one lately to try and distract me from this world.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 1:43 pm

Pencils and erasers, unpopped popcorn kernals, my lip, my hair but not as much now.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 1:47 pm

Oh yeah, there's definately been threads on this before. I'm always on board 8)
Big time chewer here. I do/have done everything listed in this thread (including biting people) with the addition of: eating ice, chewing my watch until the plastic band falls apart, chewing the tabs from aluminum cans into tiny balls, chewing on uninflated ballons, and grinding my teeth so much that my canines are now indistinguishable from the other flat teeth around them.

*summons Millie*

Maika
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Mar 2010, 1:51 pm

I like chewing plastic and styrofoam :D I don't think that I've ever had a styrofoam cup that didn't have chunks bitten out of it, I never swallow the pieces tho, I just spit them out. I luv chewing on anything made of plastic. I have a stash of plastic straws at my desk at work and I randomly take one and gnaw on it while I'm working. I have been tempted to chomp on my iPhone to see what that feels like but I don't know if I could explain bite marks on my phone when I don't have a dog :(

DavidM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Mar 2010, 1:51 pm

I bet your husband wishes you'd chew on something other than his elbow. :P

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 1:52 pm

I used to chew things all the time as a kid. I still do now, too, but usually only the inside of my cheek, & that's only because my wisdom teeth have been coming in for YEARS & they really bother me.

Penny_Black
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Mar 2010, 2:11 pm

I used to chew on stuff, but now I am a picker. I like to pick at things. Mostly myself. When I am anxious I pick. I could spend hours picking. I have tried to stop. It's an awful habit.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 2:15 pm

I must bite. My cheeks, spoons, styrofoam/paper cups, other people... when I was young: pendants, clothes, pencils, crayons... Chewing gum helps me, but not at all.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Penny_Black

11 Mar 2010, 2:26 pm

I remember being 8 and i was sucking on a pencil and it slipped and scraped the little bump off the roof of my mouth. It stung like hell. I was in class at the time and kept the whole incident to myself. 8O

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 2:47 pm

Penny_Black wrote:
I remember being 8 and i was sucking on a pencil and it slipped and scraped the little bump off the roof of my mouth. It stung like hell. I was in class at the time and kept the whole incident to myself. 8O

Ah, I've had that happen.. It hurt for days.