Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASgirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2010, 7:47 am

i can multi-task when trying to get all the chores/tasks that i dislike out of the way asap, otherwise i can't focus on just one (maybe due to adhd). however, when i do my research or my hobbies, they require my full concentration

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 8:00 am

I can do some things poorly and one thing well.
Except if things are cross-sensory.
Like participating in traffic, I can do that.
Listening to music whilst typing this, I can do that.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 8:13 am

Extremely difficult. I can't even time things when making dinner to all come out at the same time, because I tend to try to make each thing one at a time, leaving half of the dinner somewhat cold, and the other half hot, lol. It's awful.

I can't be involved in anything and be on the phone at the same time if the other person is actually expecting me to hear everything. When I try, I have to ask over and over and over again what they said. Unfortunately, I can't predict when others will call-that sure would be nice, because then I could time things around it.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

Irisrises
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2010, 8:16 am

It depends on the tasks and the situation. If I could multitask properly I would have a career, regardless of social ineptness. But I don't have any noticeable problems with multitasking.

In fact I don't know how I get through everything, I think I just line things up in my head and get through them. I can't beat myself up over the things that don't get done because then nothing else would get done either. The things that are impressive to me about this aren't necessarily impressive to others. They look at results, whereas I look at effort. I have to, because I'm still an over-achiever in my head. :lol: :lol: :lol: But the things that are impressive to them about it are also impressive to me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really, I have to laugh. What else can I do. But I don't like that smiley. I like this one :wall: .

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Mar 2010, 8:46 am

Brittany2907 wrote:
I also have difficulty with multitasking but I'm not sure that it's an AS thing, at least in my case. A lot of people are bad at it.
Doing tasks one by one may take a bit longer but it seems that for me, doing them this way is easier because I can concentrate more and am less likely to make a mistake.

That's about how I am. I work best doing things one by one. I even attempt to do more, I'm more apt to screw up. I get bitched at by people all the time because of my lack of multitasking

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 10:54 am

dt18 wrote:
Brittany2907 wrote:
I also have difficulty with multitasking but I'm not sure that it's an AS thing, at least in my case. A lot of people are bad at it.
Doing tasks one by one may take a bit longer but it seems that for me, doing them this way is easier because I can concentrate more and am less likely to make a mistake.

That's about how I am. I work best doing things one by one. I even attempt to do more, I'm more apt to screw up. I get bitched at by people all the time because of my lack of multitasking

My office clerk used to complain to me about me not finishing my work but he was always telling me to do other things. Plus I was trying to work faster and I was multitasking but some people seem to have a problem with it.

I guess multitasking can be bad.

tonmeister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Mar 2010, 11:06 am

I also can't multitask at all. It's to the point where I have trouble listening to music while typing. It's very difficult for me to have a conversation while TV or radio is on in the same room. If I'm on the phone with someone, I can't write down information at the same time as the person on the other end is talking. I get distracted if I'm doing something while someone is trying to talk to me.
I don't think that drummers or organists are multi-tasking when they play. They're just performing a very complex task, but they're devoting all of their mental effort towards a single task (i.e., playing a very complex instrument). Driving a car or riding a bike involves up to all four limbs, plus eyes and ears, and attention to changing road conditions, but I doubt that counts as "multitasking" unless the driver/rider were to be doing something else simultaneously. Actors are using their entire body as well as their voices, and I don't necessarily think that's an instance of multi-taking either.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 11:14 am

tonmeister wrote:
Driving a car or riding a bike involves up to all four limbs, plus eyes and ears, and attention to changing road conditions, but I doubt that counts as "multitasking" unless the driver/rider were to be doing something else simultaneously.

I drive-I've never really thought of it as multi-tasking, as I'm still doing the single task I set out to do-getting from point A to point B... and surviving to tell the tale. It just takes a lot more concentration to complete the task as a whole. I mean, sure, I suppose anyone could technically just get out there and drive willy nilly (and some certainly seem to do so), but there's a whole study/take in info process, as well as hands on process to learning. I got very overwhelmed while trying to learn, but once I did, it's kind of like walking-I don't have to think "move left leg, move right leg", not consciously at least... same goes for driving. The rough part is watching everyone else and trying to anticipate what they are going to do.

I get really worked up though, if someone tries to talk to me while I'm driving. I am not sure if it's because I'm getting overwhelmed, or can't keep track of both at once, or if I just plain find it rude for someone to distract me while I'm concentrating so hard.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 12:20 pm

dt18 wrote:
How many of you with autism have trouble multitasking? That's always been a bit of a difficulty for me.

Unlike the iPhone, I multitask fine :P

And actually, my iPhone does multitask too :lol:

Maika
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Mar 2010, 2:06 pm

I used to think I could multitask but when i took a closer look at what I was doing, it turns out I was just switching between tasks very quickly often forgetting what I was doing before hand

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 8:45 pm

tonmeister wrote:
I don't think that drummers or organists are multi-tasking when they play. They're just performing a very complex task, but they're devoting all of their mental effort towards a single task (i.e., playing a very complex instrument). Driving a car or riding a bike involves up to all four limbs, plus eyes and ears, and attention to changing road conditions, but I doubt that counts as "multitasking" unless the driver/rider were to be doing something else simultaneously. Actors are using their entire body as well as their voices, and I don't necessarily think that's an instance of multi-taking either.

i would beg to differ about the organists/drummers- have you ever watched them in action up close? they, to a person, are capable of holding court on a variety of subjects in conversation with you [or me or whomever is in their audience] while their arms and legs are flying all over the place. THAT is multitasking because the conversation is totally different from their drumming, plus when one arm is doing a 3/4 meter syncopation on an accent cymbal while the other arm is doing rolls on the snare, while one or both feet are booting bass drums and tapping hihat simultaneously and contrapuntally, how could that not be multitasking? drummers also have been known to sing while they are playing, karen carpenter being a notable example. as for the organist, they have been known to sing along also while they are playing and using their manual second touches which is multitasking in itself, fats waller being a notable example. but driving and acting are not multitasking, that is clear. it WOULD be multitasking if the driver or acter were playing a musical instrument while they were driving and acting.

Last edited by auntblabby on 16 Mar 2010, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 8:45 pm

Multitasking is almost impossible for me, I have to do tasks one at a time otherwise I lose focus.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 8:52 pm

aspi-rant wrote:
they do not really multitask across different things, like playing drums and answering the phone while reading an email.... it will degrade there musical skills right away if they did. ;-)

there is a gradient of multitasking density- when you pile on something like answering the phone on top of singing and playing drums/organ, nobody can do THAT. but basic [read: less complex] multitasking is fully encapsulated in the manifold functions of the drummer/wurlitzer theatre organist, especially ones who also sing or have a dialogue with their audiences while playing their drumset/organ. read about karen carpenter and fats waller for examples.

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Mar 2010, 10:20 pm

anxiety25 wrote:
tonmeister wrote:
Driving a car or riding a bike involves up to all four limbs, plus eyes and ears, and attention to changing road conditions, but I doubt that counts as "multitasking" unless the driver/rider were to be doing something else simultaneously.

I drive-I've never really thought of it as multi-tasking, as I'm still doing the single task I set out to do-getting from point A to point B... and surviving to tell the tale. It just takes a lot more concentration to complete the task as a whole. I mean, sure, I suppose anyone could technically just get out there and drive willy nilly (and some certainly seem to do so), but there's a whole study/take in info process, as well as hands on process to learning. I got very overwhelmed while trying to learn, but once I did, it's kind of like walking-I don't have to think "move left leg, move right leg", not consciously at least... same goes for driving. The rough part is watching everyone else and trying to anticipate what they are going to do.

I get really worked up though, if someone tries to talk to me while I'm driving. I am not sure if it's because I'm getting overwhelmed, or can't keep track of both at once, or if I just plain find it rude for someone to distract me while I'm concentrating so hard.

I would most definitely consider driving multitasking. It involves looking in many places at once. Looking in your blind spot, looking in the mirrors, checking the speedometer, etc. It took a long time to perfect the skill of driving for me. There is no such a thing as a perfect driver, but I think I'm as close to it as I can possibly get.

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2010, 10:47 pm

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around what multitasking really involves. Sometimes I think people use the term incorrectly. In my view multitasking is the ability to say listen to music and write an essay and be able to focus on both things at the same time. If it is, then I can't multitask, I will tune the music out and focus on my essay so I won't actually be actively listening to the music or even aware that it is on.

However, I can get a meal with different components ready at the same time as in my mind that isn't really multitasking as I am not mashing the potatoes at the exact same time as I am stiring the gravy. Instead I need to make sure I leave enough time to mash the potatoes before the gravy needs stiring or mash the potatoes for a bit and then stir the gravy and then go back to mash the potatoes.

I think I have over thought the whole multitasking thing.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 2:15 am

Brennan wrote:
I have a hard time wrapping my mind around what multitasking really involves. Sometimes I think people use the term incorrectly. In my view multitasking is the ability to say listen to music and write an essay and be able to focus on both things at the same time. I think I have over thought the whole multitasking thing.

good description, though it can be physical multitasking as well as mental multitasking. i knew somebody in the army who told me on a taxi drive in NYC his cab driver negotiated the busy streets and dodged jaywalking pedestrians and potholes, answered his squawkbox radio and still managed to engage his passenger in a lively philosophical conversation and crack jokes without missing a beat the whole time. THAT is multitasking in a nutshell.
i believe that folk with gifted-level intelligence [the top-2%'ers] can multitask natively, whereas the average schlubs like myself better not even think about trying it lest accidents happen which would result in the smarties being tarred with the same multitasking=dangerous brush, e.g., laws against cell-phone use in cars while driving.