wtf, quantum mechanics puts object in two places at one

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 11:07 pm

A team of scientists placed a tiny metal paddle (see photo) into a quantum state, so it was moving and still at the same time
link

Quote:
In two places at once: Strange world of quantum mechanics shown to work in visible world for first time
18th March 2010

The mind-bending laws of quantum mechanics, where tiny atoms and molecules can effectively be in two places at once, have been applied to a visible object for the first time.
A U.S team managed to create a quantum state in an object billions of times larger than any previously tested.
Andrew Cleland from the University of California and his team used a tiny metal paddle, which is inclined to vibrate when a current passes through it.

A team has proven that quantum mechanics doesn't just work in the world of atoms and molecules
They cooled it to a thousandth of a degree above absolute zero. This is very close to its quantum mechanical 'ground state', which is when no more energy can be removed.
The team then transmitted just one quantum of electrical energy from a specially devised electric circuit to the paddle.
They were able to show the resonating paddle was in a quantum state, between one and zero quanta of energy. This meant it was effectively moving and standing still at the same time.
The paddle was effectively a real-life version of 'Schrodinger's cat' - a famous thought experiment devised by the physicist Erwin Schrodinger.

The team placed a tiny metal paddle (photo) into a quantum state, so it was moving and still at the same time depending on when it was observed
He described a situation where a cat is placed inside a steel chamber alongside a vial of acid and a small amount of radioactive substance. If one atom of this decays during a test period this will break the vial and kill the cat.
Schrodinger said according to quantum law the cat was alive and dead in a super-position of states while the chamber was closed.
The state of the cat is only decided when the chamber is opened and the cat is observed. So it is the observation or measurement itself that affects the outcome.
This is the nub of the paradoxes that occur in the quantum state - the world of the very very small.
But the latest experiment is important as it proved that the principles of quantum mechanics can apply to everyday objects as well as atomic-scale particles.

From left to right: Andrew Cleland, Aaron O'Connell and John Martinis were part of the team that made the breakthrough
'This is an important validation of quantum theory, as well as a significant step forward for nanomechanics research,' Professor Cleland told the journal Nature.
So why don't we see much larger objects like buses moving and standing still at the same time?
Professor Cleland says the larger an object, the easier it is for outside forces to disrupt its quantum state.
'The environment is this huge, complex thing,' he said.
'It's that interaction with this incredibly complex system that makes the quantum coherence vanish.'

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 12:05 am

Good, hope they can find more uses for this. especially when it comes to quantum computing.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 2:42 am

Hope they can test Penrose's (and my own, though for different reasons) planck mass = decoherence idea.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 5:03 am

Haha.
This sounds to me that just because they used only one quantum of energy
that is indivisible, to make something vibrate, that ...

It is like saying they put a light on a USB plug, and they can turn it on with
1 bit and off with 0 bit, but if they get the port to go 010101010101010101
by overclocking the computer, then the light is half as bright and is both on
and off at the same time. Duh... NOT! It's not a half bit either.

Google "radionic stick pad". You can build a wishing machine. It's definitely
cheaper and equally effective to toss a penny in a well, but if you can get
funding grants for lots of equipment then you can have the most awesome
superconducting carbon fiber nanotube unobtainium kryptonide powered
wishing machine in the universe. A wasted mind wastes time and money.

QuantumCowboy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 9:17 am

This is really just the simple Heisenberg Observation effect. This manner of experiment has been done numerous times.

The intriguing aspect was the size of the object where the observation was occurring. This had never been done before.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 10:00 am

QuantumCowboy wrote:
This is really just the simple Heisenberg Observation effect. This manner of experiment has been done numerous times.

The intriguing aspect was the size of the object where the observation was occurring. This had never been done before.

now we just have to wait for someone to invent the heisenberg compensator XD

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 4:27 pm

more like ftw

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 6:19 pm

Next step, doing it on a cat. :lol:

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 11:10 pm

my socks have done this for years...now if I can just get them in the same state...;)

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 8:24 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Next step, doing it on a cat. :lol:

Fixer_Girl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Sep 2010, 3:30 pm

In answer to your question; yes, no and maybe!

LOL

Love physics jokes!

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 5:34 pm

computerlove, I think someone did some quantum experiments on your photo. Either its really small or it moved. I cant see it.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 8:14 pm

uh? really? I can see it

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 8:53 pm

computerlove wrote:
A team of scientists placed a tiny metal paddle (see photo) into a quantum state, so it was moving and still at the same time

Quantum states can be superposed. This has been known for nearly a hundred years. The thing about quantum superposition is that it goes against normal common sense.

ruveyn

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 10:28 pm

computerlove wrote:
uh? really? I can see it

Well you are trained to spot small things after a life time of finding your own wiener.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 8:04 pm

"so it was moving and still at the same time depending on when it was observed"

Uh, what? Depending on when it was observed? If it was moving and still at the same time, it shouldn't matter when it was observed.

"When" implies a time factor. Ergo, it's not doing both at once. :roll:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...