Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 3:05 pm

I'm just wondering because I really think humor is a safe route when it comes to fitting in socially. It keeps me from going into TMI or over other people's heads, and it keeps me from monologuing, but it takes some effort to keep things light and humorous for me. I just was wondering how all y'all make other people laugh since I sometimes struggle with the concept. My method is usually just complain about things in a funny manner like pointing out illogical things or coming up with some off the wall metaphor.

Like my neighbor recently told me she heard her son call another person a "fa***t" and she asked her son if he even knew what the word meant, and he said yes he did, it meant a cigarette. So she said, no it means gay. So my response was, "Great, now he'll think it means a happy cigarette." It made her laugh even though I really didn't think it was funny at the time. Now I do, but I wasn't trying to be funny when I said it at first.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 3:17 pm

I make people laugh all the time. It just happens. I say things and people laugh.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 3:48 pm

I think fa***t was originally a reference to kindling, but the real joke would be something about flaming butts . :P

I honestly cannot remember now, but I strongly suspect that my sense of humor developed from not knowing how to behave properly and simply repeating behaviors that caused other people to laugh because it was a sure sign of approval. I know I learned very early in life that I could deflect a lot of trouble by combining bald truth with sarcasm and humorous exaggeration. When I was a teen and my mom asked me where I was last night and I said "Out drankin' with the boys" she would just roll her eyes and ignore me, because of course, I couldn't be taken seriously. But I was telling the truth. :wink:

George Carlin was one of my earliest heroes because he was so adroit at pointing out the absurdities of the status quo, and the ridiculous inconsistencies and illogic inherent in societies sacred cows (it wasn't until later that I realized Carlin was only commercializing Lenny Bruce's schtick). It was that Aspie-like way of seeing the 'normal' world from an askew point of view that made me feel as though there were at least a few other people who, like me, saw the Emperor's willie and were both frustrated and amused that others did not. Finding what's funny and what works comedically in terms of phrasing and timing are fascinating to me, because it's all about patterns and rhythms (much like poetry, in fact), and not everybody can do it - but almost everybody tries.

Being able to make other people laugh definitely goes a long way toward deflecting attention away from one's other eccentricities - or accentuating them so it seems like you're being odd on purpose. :geek: :mrgreen:

I've always found it odd that puns are frequently referred to as the 'lowest' form of humor, but it takes a wide vocabulary and a fair IQ to make or appreciate them. It would seem to me the lowest form of humor is Howard Stern. :roll:

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 3:58 pm

Willard wrote:
I think fa***t was originally a reference to kindling, but the real joke would be something about flaming butts . :P

:lmao:

Karshan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Mar 2010, 4:17 pm

I like to make puns, but usually keep going for sarcasm, it just comes naturally to me, I always see all the possibilities and choosing another one that doesn't fit the situation is easy, finding the correct thing to say is way harder, so I make too much jokes. I tend to joke about everything, from my recently deceased friend to the current political topics.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 4:25 pm

Nitrouse

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 5:51 pm

I have the opposite issue - I find myself making too many obscure references.

But they do not have me

DavidM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2010, 5:59 pm

Real laughter is so rare to me that I can remember the handful of occasions that I laughed heartily in the company of others over the years.

jeffhermy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2010, 6:14 pm

It brings us back to that age old question, is there a comedy gene or is it enviromental?

I do believe comedy is a safe haven for people with ASD because your taught that not everyone is gonna laugh but there are some that will so you try and try again. It's an easier way of dealing with rejection and it's easier to cope with, and frankly it's easier to adjust.

I like to tell non-sense to people, have them believe it and spread it around, thats my way of comedy. They get back to me and say, "Stalin wasn't an interior designer that came up with a fabric called the iron curtain! Where you telling me a story?!" I look back at them with a smile and say, "Yes i was, you didn't put that on your paper did you? You'll fail for sure." As you can see, It can be quite annoying, for the other person that is.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 8:56 pm

I can't remember how I make people laugh except a very long time ago
I used to draw Contrived Mouse Trap Inventions ("Contraptions")
that represented fast food or cafeteria kitchens
which were entirely powered by flushing toilets.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 8:57 pm

I hit them on the funny bone with a lump hammer.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 8:58 pm

I make people laugh, with the innocent things that come out of my mouth.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 10:16 pm

Things randomly pop into my head. If I think they're funny enough, I just say 'em out loud to my friends. Most of the time they get it & laugh, but then there are those other times where I have to explain it to them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 6:32 am

i make them laugh AT ME unintentionally. like falling down on my @$$ when i miss the top stairstep and go brupbrupbrup down to the bottom landing. or when i am having one of my ridiculous sneezing "fits" that splatters mucous and spit all over myself. or when i squeal like a little girl when i am fleeing from stinging insects. i had passengers in a car when a GD'ed bee flew in the open window, i almost caused a wreck in my hysterical maneuvering to get the damned thing back out, and while the passengers were terrified during this madness, they laughed their @$$es off at me afterwards.
the only times people laugh WITH me is when i manage to think of a funny pun or topical joke of the moment's situation. i seem to be good at that one thing, sometimes.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 8:44 am

Willard wrote:

I honestly cannot remember now, but I strongly suspect that my sense of humor developed from not knowing how to behave properly and simply repeating behaviors that caused other people to laugh because it was a sure sign of approval. I know I learned very early in life that I could deflect a lot of trouble by combining bald truth with sarcasm and humorous exaggeration. When I was a teen and my mom asked me where I was last night and I said "Out drankin' with the boys" she would just roll her eyes and ignore me, because of course, I couldn't be taken seriously. But I was telling the truth. :wink:

George Carlin was one of my earliest heroes because he was so adroit at pointing out the absurdities of the status quo, and the ridiculous inconsistencies and illogic inherent in societies sacred cows (it wasn't until later that I realized Carlin was only commercializing Lenny Bruce's schtick). It was that Aspie-like way of seeing the 'normal' world from an askew point of view that made me feel as though there were at least a few other people who, like me, saw the Emperor's willie and were both frustrated and amused that others did not. Finding what's funny and what works comedically in terms of phrasing and timing are fascinating to me, because it's all about patterns and rhythms (much like poetry, in fact), and not everybody can do it - but almost everybody tries.

Being able to make other people laugh definitely goes a long way toward deflecting attention away from one's other eccentricities - or accentuating them so it seems like you're being odd on purpose. :geek: :mrgreen:

I've always found it odd that puns are frequently referred to as the 'lowest' form of humor, but it takes a wide vocabulary and a fair IQ to make or appreciate them. It would seem to me the lowest form of humor is Howard Stern. :roll:

I'm not too familiar with George Carlin, but I've heard some of his jokes and they are funny, but I notice a lot of comedians take the approach of pointing out the illogical nature of things. Chris Rock is one that comes to my mind right this second. Even Carlos Mencia pulls that card a lot more than people think though he's known more for being brutally honest. I do notice all have their own style on how to "complain" about the stupidity in the world, but it's something I almost think comes naturally to people with Asperger's (seeing the "stupidity" in things), and throughout the years, I think I've found my way to complain about things and make it funny (though sometimes I just whine).

When I use puns, if people don't get it, I often say, "get it... pun specifics... yeah I'm a nerd" and then they laugh.

Quote:
"Being able to make other people laugh definitely goes a long way toward deflecting attention away from one's other eccentricities - or accentuating them so it seems like you're being odd on purpose. :geek: :mrgreen: "
That is so very true.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 8:58 am

Karshan wrote:
I like to make puns, but usually keep going for sarcasm, it just comes naturally to me, I always see all the possibilities and choosing another one that doesn't fit the situation is easy, finding the correct thing to say is way harder, so I make too much jokes. I tend to joke about everything, from my recently deceased friend to the current political topics.

I much prefer to joke around during times you aren't supposed to like after someone dies, but that's because I don't like heavy moods like that. Throughout the years though, I've learned that I can't be selfish after loved ones pass on and I behave according for other people's sake, and if I want to be myself, I stick to myself. It does take some self control on my part though.

My favorite topic to joke about is racism. Not races, but racism. I don't make racist jokes, but jokes about racist people if that makes sense, or I make fun of the racist jokes that exist. Like one time I was at a restaurant, and this black guy was complaining about something but more goofing off than being serious, and he kept going on and on about how the service sucked or something, and then I finally interrupted him and said, "it's because your white." Then he kept saying they were racist against white people meaning himself who was black...it was hilarious. Now some people don't always agree with this sense of humor, but I have to admit it sure lightens the mood when I'm around people who aren't racist but has never hung out with minorities and are afraid of what to do or say when around them, like they have no idea what insults people and what doesn't and they are afraid they might inadvertently insult someone and then end up insulting them just by being so worried about it if that makes sense.

I have learned with political topics to keep the humor light and strange. Like someone told me they thought (and really thought not playing) that Obama was the antichrist, and I said that was doubtful because Satan would pick someone much better looking. I like that because then I avoid getting into a long debate on how great or not so great a president he is because I truthfully have no opinion on the subject.