Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

frag
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 2:15 pm

I don't believe in grey, however the black and white spots can mix so the whole looks grey. There is no time I can simultaneously think someone is bad and good at the same time, that is parallel thinking and I don't have that much. My thinking is serial so I have to use time to distinguish between black and white.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 3:30 pm

I'm very confused by this topic. My own black and white thinking applies primarily to ethical and moral considerations. I don't think there is any relative merit, for instance, to torture, or racism. And I certainly don't want to start thinking that there could be.

But I get into trouble when applying it to much more mundane and petty instances of unethical or immoral behavior. When someone does something intentionally hurtful, like a bully for instance, then I think they are a bad person, and it's hard for me to see past that. If they were to apologize and make amends, then my opinion could change, but that doesn't happen much. I'm not really sure how to change my thinking in this regard. I could try to overlook it altogether, but then I m suspending my own judgment and am left with nothing to base my opinion on.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 4:20 pm

I'm not really a black-and-white thinker. I can accept gray areas. I'm more bothered when things are illogical or arbitrary. I'm very stubborn in that I always like to know the "why" behind things. I also tend to be skeptical. I need to understand everything for myself before I trust it.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 7:16 pm

I have nuanced view of the morality and politics. It's why I can never make decisions or come to definite conclusions.

My "black/white" thinking is related more to accuracy and specificity. I don't have time for stupid generalizations presented without evidence. I don't have the patience for whishy-washy thinking, fluffy-headed opinions, or people who state personal viewpoints as facts.

It also affects my behavior. I can't stand interuptions, or constant changes in schedules. Either we're going to the zoo, or we're going to the museum, but we're not going to drive to Jeff's house to pick up Mary, so she can call her friends, who will meet us at the museum, so we can drive to the theater to check out the movie times, so we can drive back to the museum if nothing's playing until 2100, so we can drive back to the theater........STOP IT!! ! We're either going to the MUSEUM or we're going to see a MOVIE. PERIOD. NO MORE CHANGING. I'm doing one thing, or I'm doing the other....NOT BOTH!! !! !