Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

JHenry2848
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Mar 2010, 10:20 pm

Also known as Splitting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splitting_(psychology)) has always been a huge problem for me. I tend to think in extremes and usually misinterpret what other people say so that what they are saying can fit my personal beliefes. I dont do it on purpose. I just have a problem understanding the "gray area" of things. I have been told that this was a problem of mine for a while now. I just wanted to know if I was the only one.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 10:27 pm

two sides, two players. One is light, one is dark.

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2010, 10:28 pm

I have a tendency to have this problem myself. The best way for me to understand something is if I have a definite answer about something. I hate maybes. Yes or no are the best answers and it puts my mind to rest. The opposite sex tends to play these kind of games. Just when you think they don't want to talk to you...out of nowhere they talk to you.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 10:47 pm

I do not think it is helpful to confate splitting with Autistic black and white thinking although the later can manifest in the earlier.

Black and white thinking is a form of binary thinking and is most compatible with deductive logic, while being significantly less compatible with inductive logic. Splitting refers to a very colourful kind of thinking where things are given a moral value (all good or all bad). Moral valuations require a great deal of inductive logic, something many black and white thinkers are impaired in, uncomfortable with, or simply tend to be much weaker in and less inclined to than black and white deductive logic.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 10:55 pm

Black and white thinking is common in aspies and I think we can learn to not be so black and white.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 11:17 pm

I'm also a black and white thinker. Either I can afford something, or I can't. There is no middle ground. I seem to miss that grey area, that everybody else has.

AGMorehouse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Mar 2010, 11:26 pm

I think I kind of know what you are talking about. If I want to go eat somewhere, I'll usually just think either one place or another. I don't really find middle ground. I get pretty much set in my own opinions, and go for it. I do have kind of a hard time deciding whether or not I want to buy a new CD.

you will jouney from boy to man

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 11:38 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm also a black and white thinker. Either I can afford something, or I can't.

Uh there is the gray in that? What is the gray area?

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 12:31 am

I think in black or white all the time. I never have a gray area. Its either yes or no, bad or good, up or down. Nothing in between. You either can or can't. There is no middle ground with me. Never has been. I am a very extreme thinker.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 12:34 am

I think in terms of black and white when it comes to most things, but gray when it comes to some.

ASgirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2010, 4:21 am

i think in black and white only most of the time too. i know for a fact that there can be a grey area (even with different shades of greys) but i somehow feel that it doesn't apply to me or that it's irelevant.
i am in general a person of either extremes anyway, i love or i hate, i totally agree or i cannot disagree more, i eat till i throw up or i starve myself till i can't get out of bed, etc. i care very little about the middle area. it's something that i am trying to learn to change.

Robin_Hood
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Mar 2010, 4:33 am

I don't think in shades of grey..

It's Black & white for me too. Left/right, up/down, yes/no pretty much sums me up :)

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 4:57 am

League_Girl wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm also a black and white thinker. Either I can afford something, or I can't.

Uh there is the gray in that? What is the gray area?

Things that are both black and white.
Is it wrong to steal-yes
Is it wrong to steal to feed your starving child and stealing is the only available option-no

edit-sorry, I missread your question

CerebralDreamer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 5:43 am

I'm definitely a black and white thinker myself. When deductive reasoning doesn't work I always assume I'm missing the full picture. I guess that's the throw/catch error cycle in my internal logic. :lol:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 6:24 am

I've got more into grey thinking over time. I remember being horrified when a teacher gave us a lesson to show us all that a lot of questions don't have simple yes-or-no answers....it just seemed that it would make life a lot more complicated. :( But I gradually got used to it.

Another pointer showed itself early in my science career. The guy I was working with was designing an experiment that we hoped would answer a question (that's what experiments are for, of course)....then he said that in the past his experiments had usually not given clear-cut answers.

I found out that chemical reactions NEVER proceed to absolute completion.......we'd been studying equilibrium reactions which always leave a significant proportion of reactants in their original state, and they then told us that the same was true of all reactions, only for most of them the unreacted stuff was a negligibly small proportion of the whole.

Then I studied Zen Buddhism and found out about a notion that for every true assertion, the converse was also likely to have truth in it.

By the time I discovered AS, I was already well on the way to habitually correcting my black-and-white thinking. I still regularly fall into the trap, but whenever my thinking fails to lead me to whatever it is I'm looking for, one of the first questions I ask myself while scrutinising my thoughts is, have I gone and overlooked a grey area again?

Agnieszka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 6:37 am

Sometimes when I find that something is "gray" I have a problem with it. I usually try to see it as "white" or "black". I hate guessing :lol: