Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Miyah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 12:56 pm

For 6 and a half years, I lived with my Aunt and she did teach me some really good life skills that were a big help for me. During the last 3 years, however, she proved to be self-righteous, clingy, and controlling of everyone around he including three of her good friends whom she had known for years. Anyway, she and I had started having a falling out back in March of last year, after she dropped all of her other friends because they all hurt her behind her back. So, I moved out of her place in December last year because she asked me to leave for being selfish, one-sided, and even miss trustworthy.

Today, she got mad at me for not calling her back yesterday because I had a housewarming party the day before and didn't feel much like talking to other people yesterday because I was zoned out. So, she talked about wanting to drop me because she feels like I am acting one-sided towards her and those don't sit with her.

How should I handle this as a mature adult?

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 3:39 pm

Are you sure she's a narcissist? She sounds more like she's very immature emotionally. Normally narcissists are likeable people when they want to be but very manipulative.

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2010, 12:08 am

I would explain to your aunt why you didn't call her due to burnout from your gathering the day before and leave it at that. Don't get caught up in her little games, but at the same time don't completely severe ties with her unless of course it is becoming either physically or emotionally dangerous to be around her.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 1:09 am

This aunt is neurotypical, right? Tell her you love her and send her a good recent picture of yourself.

Yeah, I know, it has nothing to do with what she said. She sounds like she's showing the signs of lack of attention and affection, though, so it should help.