Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 6:44 pm

Brennan wrote:
Just wondering if anyone else here has difficulty with stairs and escalators, in particular going down them. I find I have a lot of trouble trying to work out exactly where the step is. I can see it, I just can't work out where it is in relation to me, if that makes any sense. To go down stairs I usually have to grip tightly onto the railing and almost inch my way down. Even stairs I have gone down many times, I still have to take them very slowly and concentrate intently on what I'm doing.

With down escalators I have a lot of trouble getting on trying to work out where the "step" is so I don't land on the join. I remember having a meltdown as a small kid whilst out shopping with my Nanna because she was trying to get me to go on the escalator and it scared the living daylights out of me cause I couldn't work out how to get on. Even today, I avoid them if there is any other way I can get down.

Does anyone else have these problems?

YES. To this day! Stairs are not as bad as escalators, because they hold still...but I still don't understand how people run down them, how they can know where they are without a death grip on the rail and my eyes glued on my feet. UP the stairs isn't hard...but down--ugh. And escalators...I hate them. Tons of fun at the airport...

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 7:13 pm

Escalators, no. Going down stairs YES. I have fallen a few times, the last time I completely underestimated the final step and twisted the hell out of my ankle. I could barely walk on it for like 2 weeks. I always look down when going down stairs and have a strong desire to be near the railing.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 7:24 pm

cazzie2010 wrote:
how do you mean, Non-co-ordination topic
my stairs at home i allways run up and down them 8)

I'll run UP the stairs at home, but I can't run DOWN them...just...ugh.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 7:37 pm

I'm clumsy going down stairs. I fell and sprained my ankle once. I'm always scared I'll hurt myself worse.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 7:42 pm

Dots wrote:
I'm clumsy going down stairs. I fell and sprained my ankle once. I'm always scared I'll hurt myself worse.

Ouch! I just sprained mine a few days ago. I had had difficulty with the stairs outside of a sub shop, and I guess once I got in the parking lot I thought I was in the clear. I couldn't see it when I looked back, but there must have been a subtle dip in the pavement, and I didn't react to it right, and I twisted my ankle in front of people. How embarrassing! :(

jseamurphy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jun 2010, 8:30 pm

I had a hard time with escalators too up until my teens. I avoided them if I could. Stairs are easier, but sometimes when I'm walking down them I loose touch with where my foot is in relation with the stair. I've stumbled a few times, but thankfully not fallen.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 2:06 am

Brennan wrote:
Just wondering if anyone else here has difficulty with stairs and escalators, in particular going down them. I find I have a lot of trouble trying to work out exactly where the step is. I can see it, I just can't work out where it is in relation to me, if that makes any sense. To go down stairs I usually have to grip tightly onto the railing and almost inch my way down. Even stairs I have gone down many times, I still have to take them very slowly and concentrate intently on what I'm doing.

With down escalators I have a lot of trouble getting on trying to work out where the "step" is so I don't land on the join ...

Does anyone else have these problems?

yes, a bit, not quite to that degree. also revolving doors. also getting in and out of cars i hit my head a lot. and wobbly going up & down ladders.

the worst: getting on & off ski lifts. terrifying.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 2:21 am

I always chalked it up to my clumsiness with my hatred for escalators. I also sort of get wobbly on them. I also hate those glass rotating doors that some buildings use as a front door. I am always afraid to get my leg stuck in one of those.

cazzie2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jun 2010, 4:10 am

i was afraid of e-stairs when i was a teenage.. i dont like e stairs when they stop working

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 3:18 pm

I got dragged out to a department store today. Which is the first thing I can't stand, but I did need a new suit pretty badly, and unfortunately even though I live by myself, my mom has figured out I'm like my dad in that I won't go clothes shopping unless somebody makes me.

And of course that means escalators. Today I was so hesitant (ESPECIALLY after twisting my ankle earlier this week--I darned well have an excuse!) that she actually noticed and had to tease me about it!

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 2:31 pm

I searched out this topic as I was going to start a post of my own to ask - stepping onto an escalator that is going down is the worst. People laugh at me and think I am scared because I really have to hang on and it takes a lot of effort. I am not scared, I just have so much trouble coordinating my foot with the step. I have a question about elevators I am going to look up now or post a new question if I don't find it.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 5:06 pm

I never had that issue because escalators were my main special interest from age 7-12. My crazy obsessions have SOME benefit at least!

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 5:17 pm

I really hate when going up the stairs in the dark and I take the last step but im already at the top of the stairs.

JoeRose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Sep 2012, 6:38 pm

I had significant difficulty with both when I was a child. I remember I used to have a fear of escalators after having a bad experience on one (I seem to remember getting trapped at the end of one in a clothes shop). Ever since that happened I always used to use the stairs when shopping with my parents.

I also seem to remember falling down the stairs a lot when I was younger. Surprised I didn't break anything!