Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

mu_girl05
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Mar 2010, 11:19 am

When my son started preschool at age 3, we began to hear about major behavior problems. He would be aggressive with other children and could not stay quiet during nap time. He eventually got kicked out of the first preschool for choking. His teacher says she didn't think he meant to hurt anyone and wasn't squeezing hard, but he could no longer attend. We attributed it to our divorce and discussed taking him to a counselor. He was with me during the summer (I am a teacher) and started a new preschool in August. He has been having problems on and off all year. He makes strange noises, gets upset over little things (ex: a small tear on paper, gets out of line while coloring), and has been aggressive towards his classmates. I have also noted he has been biting himself. His teacher said she would never describe him as "mean" even with the aggressive behaviors. It is more as if he can't help himself. He has a lot of trouble at lunch when they have to sit in very close quarters. He has good days and bad days. At home, we have a few issues like talking back/"lecturing" but for the most part he is happy and well-behaved. We have been taking him to a counselor and she mentioned she was picking up an "aspergers vibe". After my discussion with her, I decided to have him tested for Aspergers. He is very intelligent with a huge vocabulary. He began talking at around 7 months and talks a lot. He has a great memory. He is obsessed with vehicles. When he was younger, he lined everything up in a row. He still does this, but not all the time. He does get very upset if someone moves something out of place. His eye contact is so-so. Sometimes he is very alert to others, but I notice most of the time it takes a little to get his attention, and I constantly have to tell him someone is talking to him and he needs to respond. I also think he has sensory issues. We haven't got an official diagnosis yet, but I really think after everything I read that he has Asperger's. I guess I am just looking for tips to help his teacher. He responds well to me most of the time so I go down quite a bit to talk to him when he is having a rough day (I work at the same school he attends), but I would like the teacher to be able to handle things on his own. I am considering taking him out of preschool and putting him in an in-home daycare (with the woman who watched him until he started preschool). But I am afraid we will have the same problems next year in kindergarten. Any advice?? Thank you.