Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

tonmeister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Apr 2010, 12:41 pm

Is anyone else here extremely sensitive to medications? I don't necessarily mean psychiatric drugs, since I've never taken those (although if anyone has something to say about that as well I'd be interested), but I seem to be really sensitive to normal painkillers/antibiotics/whatever.
A few years ago, I had extensive dental work done, and was prescribed Percocet for the pain. I took one pill and it made me extremely sick. I tried it again, and it just made me sicker - nausea, vertigo, vomitting - and the effects lasted for more than 24 hours. I just dealt with the pain after that.
I had another round of dental work done this past week, and specifically told the dentist that I can't take Percocet. I prescribed something else called Lorcet, which is supposedly not as strong, but still made me very sick. Both times, I also had to take antibiotics, which also make me very sick, even when taken by themselves.
About ten years ago, I was immunized against Lyme Disease, and the vaccine made me very sick for a week. I threw up, couldn't get out of bed, and ran a very high fever.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 12:59 pm

I've read here that ASD people tend to be more sensitive than average to SSRI, that was also my case.

ASgirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2010, 1:35 pm

i've been told by my psychiatrist that the use of any psychotropic medications as well as other prescription drugs can have a more variable response in terms of possible benefits and side effects in those with ASDs.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 2:57 pm

I have the opposite problem... as in, a lot of the time, pain killers just don't work... or have opposite side effects from most.

For instance, I only have to take half of a vicodin to get a good amount of relief. Sometimes it will make me nauseous... but never just plain tired unless it's due to not getting enough sleep. It makes me... hyper.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 3:44 pm

I have unpleasant reactions to most psychiatric medications, and so I do not take them. As for regular prescription medications, if there are potential digestive side effects, I usually get those.

Nausea is very common.

Some sedatives do actually make me hyper as well.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 4:03 pm

All medications are TOXIC chemicals...they can kill you if not taken as prescribed. Some people just have more sensitive immune systems...

Electric_Spaghetti
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Apr 2010, 5:24 pm

I'm allergic to many yeast/fungi derived antibiotics and supplements. Anything with -mycin or -cillin in the name make me vomit within about 20 mins of taking them. I seem to be less sensitive than normal to psilocybin/psilocin and the various legal recreational piperazines I've tried. Piperazines make me nauseous, I don't think its a drug class that agrees with me.

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2010, 6:13 pm

anxiety25 wrote:
I have the opposite problem... as in, a lot of the time, pain killers just don't work... or have opposite side effects from most.

Same here... Once I got really sick from taking a single painkiller.

DavidM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2010, 6:18 pm

I'm the opposite. I swallow a boatload of pills every day and they hardly do anything for me any more.

I am however really sensitive to stimulants - they make me paranoid and suicidal.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 9:11 pm

I am. I am one of those who are hyper sensitive to psych meds (in the worst kinds of ways), but I am also funny about pain meds. I could not take percocet either... that stuff messes me all up. I have the same kinds of problems with lorcet. The only pain pill I can take is tramadol, or over the counter stuff like motrin. That was what I used after my abdominal surgery. Doctors sometimes think I am weird about being afraid of meds... but after having so many bad reactions, it just never seems worth the possibly awful side effects...

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 9:15 pm

I have an abnormally adverse reaction to Wellbutrin

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2010, 3:50 pm

I am changing the medication now. I also had a bad reaction to Wellbutrin. For me the bad reactions are increased angst and anxiety and less energy. Exactly the opposite of you would expect from an anti-depressive. With Effexor it was similar, every time the dose was increased I had a bad reaction. For one whole week I stayed all day laying on my bed crying because of the angst/nervousnes. And we had to increase the medicine until the maximun dose. And when the maximun dose was reached we used other medicine that worked as a booster! Oh, it was awful! Now I´m taking Lexapro and until now I´m having the same bad results but I have to wait until the next week to be sure. I know I have bad reactions sometimes but I still believe that in my case I still need the drugs since nothing else has worked with me. I just have to be patient.

DavidM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2010, 7:38 pm

I experimented with not taking my 'anti-Ds' (antidepressants) for a few days and didn't feel any different.

There comes a point when even the most sensitive of souls see the day when the 'drugs don't work'. 8O

duck01
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2016, 6:55 am

I can't tolerate general anaesthetics. They make me vomit, give me severe depression and nightmares. Even after two anti sickness injections I was still feeling sick and retching. The first dose did nothing. Perhaps, I was intolerant to the anti emetic as well.

Twilight sedation for an endoscopy gave me severe depression which lasted three weeks. A small amount of gas for dental work made me feel sick, depressed and gave me nightmares for years. Amoxicillin makes me vomit, and urinary tract drugs made me feel sick. Local dental anaesthetics with adrenaline make me hyper, anxious, give me chills and shaking. Virtually, any prescribed medication causes me trouble. Over the counter meds are less toxic. I was given Mebeverine for IBS and I got severe indigestion after one tablet within minutes of taking it. I tried over the counter Buscopan and got no side effects.

I am also sensitive to antiseptic wipes used prior to blood tests. I come out in a rash and it feels like carbolic acid has been injected. I was also told I may also be sensitive to whatever the needle is made from.

MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Aug 2016, 10:22 am

Greetings. I find that over the counter stuff is fine for me. Like Advil or something. I don't react badly to it.

But with SSRI's, I react super negatively to it if the dose is too high. I'm on Lexapro, and I can't go higher than 10mg, which is really small amount. The highest is 20mg. I went to 15mg, and then I had shaking episodes where I felt horrible and all of me would shake. I tried Zoloft, but too many bad side effects. It made me really tired. I am already naturally tired, but with this, I would fall asleep in class if I could. I needed to take A LOT of caffeine to stay awake. I don't react badly to caffeine either.

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf