Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2006, 10:24 am

I've found a jar of Instant Coffee that's been in my Mother's Kitchen Cupbord for four years. It doesn't have an expiry date on it. The bottle dosent have any instructions on it, so I've figured that the formula is 1 Teaspoon for each Cup of Boiling Water. I've mixed the Ingredients, and I took a sip. It was strong, beyond belief. Now I have this question on my Coffee-logged Mind. What are the proper measurements for the perfect Cup of Instant Coffee?

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2006, 11:32 am

Ideal coffee strength is a very subjective thing. It depends on the time of day, the size of the cup and the caffeine dependency of the person making it.

Personally I take mine in a mug at work and given that we have one of those dispenser thingies that doesn't deliver a very large "teaspoon," I give it three turns. Then again I'm a plunger guy so I like it pretty strong. I was just at the supermarket today where I spotted Kahlua flavoured plunger coffee. I hadn't seen it before but I knew it had to be a good thing. But it's not really coffee time in my part of the world right now so I'll have to get back to you tomorrow to let you know what it's like.

More than likely, even more holy crap 8O smilies than usual...

You got to ask for it

medianmistermustard
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Mar 2006, 12:32 pm

Instant coffee is not the greatest-tasting stuff in the world, even if made properly. I would keep that proportion but dilute it down with some milk to mask the acidity. Or, make some real coffee.

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2006, 12:59 pm

Yep, I take brewed coffee black but instant coffee white for precisely that reason. However I made the mistake of making coffee with soy milk yesterday...the taste was not really unpleasant but just unusual, what was really weird was that it didn't really go white until it was one part soy milk to two parts water and by then it had congealed to the consistency of house paint. To be honest though, you could get used to it if you really wanted to...like if you were dairy intolerant or wanted to go vegan.

You got to ask for it

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2006, 3:12 pm

Was it a heaped teaspoonful or a level teaspoonful? Just curious.

I really think the way to make coffee depends on your taste. I can take it with pretty much any measurements of coffee/sugar/milk as long as it's not black unsweetened coffee. Whenever anyone makes me a coffee, they ask how I take it and I'll always tell them it doesn't matter. :D

But I have quite unique tastes in coffee, mind you. I've recently been through a phase of taking honey with coffee instead of sugar. Before that it was Lyle's Golden Syrup instead of sugar. There are coffee syrups available in the UK, various flavours, made by Tate & Lyle which are specially for flavouring coffee (Irish Cream being IMO the best of these flavours).

Silver_Shadow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Mar 2006, 3:15 pm

The Dutch in the Nederland have Koffie Melk (coffee milk), it is quite nice. It is like condensed milk, sort of.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2006, 3:18 pm

Off topic, but who here likes chocolate milk? In the UK there are things like Yazoo. I can't get enough of it.

medianmistermustard

27 Mar 2006, 4:32 pm

Silver_Shadow wrote:
The Dutch in the Nederland have Koffie Melk (coffee milk), it is quite nice. It is like condensed milk, sort of.

On that note vietnamese coffee is really good. (espresso + condensed sweetened milk + ice) It's actually brewed on top of the glass and takes longer to drip than it takes for your food to get to the table in the fastest of vietnamese restaurants.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2006, 6:56 pm

Keeno wrote:
Off topic, but who here likes chocolate milk? In the UK there are things like Yazoo. I can't get enough of it.

I love chocolate milk. Unfortunately, I can't drink it anymore since I'm lactose intolerant, which I happened to find out the hard way when I drank some for the first time in years.