Page 1 of 8 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 12:45 pm

This would seem to be applicable to the internet in particular. Peter predicted militant atheist internet trolls:

First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation." 2nd Peter 3:3-4 NIV

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 1:43 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
This would seem to be applicable to the internet in particular. Peter predicted militant atheist internet trolls:

First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation." 2nd Peter 3:3-4 NIV

There are millions of faithful religious people and a handful of atheists. Boo!

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 1:49 pm

Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Really, a million faithful vaguely religious people on PPR and only a handful of bridgekeepers? Are you sure?

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 3:09 pm

Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Geez, Sand, you almost made me soil my pants. Be careful, you might scare someone.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 3:12 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Really, a million faithful vaguely religious people on PPR and only a handful of bridgekeepers? Are you sure?

It's not so much that there are really that many atheists on here. It's more so that the few atheists that are in the forums are noisier about it.

NobelCynic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 3:15 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Peter predicted militant atheist internet trolls

Wow - Peter predicted the internet? :o And to think I never caught that. :roll:

I will have to read that again to see what else I missed. :study:

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 3:22 pm

AngelRho wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

It's not so much that there are really that many atheists on here. It's more so that the few atheists that are in the forums are noisier about it.

True, and while they are so noisy, they tend to silence any normal conversation and stifle any chance for an intelligent debate. How many people wish to discuss an issue and then have the first reply be "IGNORANT!! !" written a quintillion times or otherwise just be insulted implicitly or explicitly for using premises which they reject without thought or conclusions which contradict so other aspect of their worldview? I would venture nobody wishes to have this happen to their thread or to their replies. Some people are more bold than others or otherwise have learned to put up with harassment and bullying, but for the most part I consider the actions of these militant atheists to have a silencing effect upon people's desire to post or reply, just because they don't want to put up with the vitriolic nonsense that inevitably scars internet forums.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 3:24 pm

NobelCynic wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Peter predicted militant atheist internet trolls

Wow - Peter predicted the internet? :o And to think I never caught that. :roll:

The internet is just another mode of communication. It's people like you and Sand he predicted.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 4:07 pm

NobelCynic wrote:

Here you go:

"This is now, beloved ones, the second letter I write to you, in which I stir up your sincere mind, to remember ... knowing this first: that mockers shall come in the last days with mocking, walking according to their own lusts ... For they choose to have this hidden from them: that the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of water and in the water, by the Word of Elohim, through which the world at that time was destroyed, being flooded with water. And the present heavens and the earth are treasured up by the same Word, being kept for fire, to a day of judgment and destruction of wicked men."

Who will still be around after the smoke clears?

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2010, 7:08 pm

leejosepho wrote:

Probably nobody.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 3:45 am

druidsbird wrote:
leejosepho wrote:

Probably nobody.

The meek will inherit the earth. It will be reformatted to version 3.0
The war, death, and taxes bugs will be fixed. Pet lions will eat grass.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 4:54 am

ValMikeSmith wrote:
druidsbird wrote:
leejosepho wrote:

Probably nobody.

The meek will inherit the earth. It will be reformatted to version 3.0
The war, death, and taxes bugs will be fixed. Pet lions will eat grass.

The lions of Eden.
When they were feedin'
Made dinner of carrots and grass.
But he Lion's digestion
Suffered congestion
Since their food generated great gas .
With their as*holes quite sore
The lions did roar
And Eden was covered with stink
Which caused God's revision
Of his lion decision
So he moved their consumption to meat.
They now disdain grass
For a chomp at your ass
Which they know is a nice thing to eat.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 6:43 am

That's quite an impressive prediction. I certainly don't know enough about people to guess that some of them would eventually begin to doubt that an indefinitely postponed event will ever take place.
Maybe Pete really did have Almighty God on speed-dial.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 9:09 am

AngelRho wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

My avatar's simply easier to spot than most are...

But I'm hardly noisy, I don't see the point in arguing a lot of issues, at the end of the thread nobody will have actually changed their opinion on a religious topic.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 9:53 am

Well, to get to the point of the scripture, when the Hell is Jesus finally going to come, anyway?

I know of some Jehovah's Witnesses who take the recent earthquakes as a joyous sign.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 10:48 am

Avarice wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

My avatar's simply easier to spot than most are...

But I'm hardly noisy, I don't see the point in arguing a lot of issues, at the end of the thread nobody will have actually changed their opinion on a religious topic.

Personal opinion here, of course, but I feel that it's the Christian views that are most often shouted down in the forums. If nobody ever changes their opinion on a topic, is really that important who gets the last word? You're right, though. That's not a debate that can really be won on either side.

As to the return of Jesus: God only knows.

And you have to LOVE the JWs! I invited them into my house one day so we could "talk." After I got up from the table to get my Bible, they suddenly got nervous and were really anxious to leave.

I'll say this for the end of time: I don't know WHEN, but I do know for certain that we're one day closer than we were yesterday.