Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 4:18 am

I'm not diseased, I'm disordered.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 4:30 am

It's not a disease of the brain but a type of brain. A very unconventional one at that.

Marsian
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Apr 2010, 5:00 am

You know, one time my psychiatrist said "ASD" and I thought he said "A disease" and I didn't know what he was going on about.

Are you he didn't say "whatever" can help with "ASDs"... It really freaked me out when that happened to me? Get your mum to phone him and ask him!

I don't think anyone in their right mind would say that AS is a disease because it clearly isn't!

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 5:28 am

I agree with the others. If he wouldn't even listen to you, then he can't help you. I hope the therapist helps. I'm glad you've got another one just in case.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 11:16 pm

He and the one therapist said perhaps my diagnosis of autism can be elemanated becuase I supposedly don't show the traits. I think I'll dump him and stick with the lady who wrote a letter for Pippin to be my "service lizard".

The phycratist claimed his son had AS. Right, and I guess I am the queen of Sheba. Lately, I'm noticing almost everyone who wants me commited supposedly has a child or a relative with AS.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2010, 12:37 pm

The term, "disease," is actually rarely used in a medical context, except in the particular internal medicine discipline of infectious disease. Non pathogenic conditions that are sometimes referred to as diseases (e.g. cancer, 'heart disease', diabetes mellitus) are not usually described as such in a clinical setting. Genopathic conditions (e.g. cystic fibrosis) are sometimes referred to as diseases, but considerably less often than previously.

However, it is a slippery word, and it frequently appears in non-clinical contexts, and may slip into doctor-patient conversation where there is a focus on trying to keep to "plain english."

Although I am not a psychiatrist, in my opinion it is inaccurate to refer to autism spectrum disorders as diseases. They are more properly classified as disorders, in so far as they demonstrate a functional abnormality. (Leaving aside entirely the question of clinical significance of presentations).

Gigi830
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Apr 2010, 3:54 pm

visagrunt wrote:
The term, "disease," is actually rarely used in a medical context, except in the particular internal medicine discipline of infectious disease. Non pathogenic conditions that are sometimes referred to as diseases (e.g. cancer, 'heart disease', diabetes mellitus) are not usually described as such in a clinical setting. Genopathic conditions (e.g. cystic fibrosis) are sometimes referred to as diseases, but considerably less often than previously.

However, it is a slippery word, and it frequently appears in non-clinical contexts, and may slip into doctor-patient conversation where there is a focus on trying to keep to "plain english."

Although I am not a psychiatrist, in my opinion it is inaccurate to refer to autism spectrum disorders as diseases. They are more properly classified as disorders, in so far as they demonstrate a functional abnormality. (Leaving aside entirely the question of clinical significance of presentations).

Very well put