Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 12:36 pm

One of my neighbor's is constantly hounding me about my son's personality, does he do this, does he do that. etc... So I asked her why the sudden interest? Here's what she said: Well, I think he's really nice but just recently a boy was placed in her son's GE class from an autistic support classroom. This recent placement is really mean to her son. Her son is very shy. Now, he comes home depressed every day. This boy calls him stupid, chronically competes with him, and follows him around calling him a best friend. My neighbor couldn't understand why this boy is like this while my son is so reserved. She thought autistic child were alike. I advised her to tell the teacher and/or have her son moved. This is the thing that causes me to get mad at other aspies. It is as if they are above discipline in the schools. If the NTs do what that boy is doing to a special needs student, they get a trip to the principal's office. If obnoxious non-typicals torture a shy NT, nothing happens. There should be some form of special needs discipline as opposed to none at all. If auties and aspies need to be taught in specialized ways, then they should be disciplined in specialized ways. When there is no intervention, they grow up to be despised adults with an "I'm lonely as all heck, but I'm still better than you" attitude. The unlucky ones get smacked upside the head and have no idea why. Rules apply to "everyone". It's best to learn this very young.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 12:45 pm

You are right.

People seem to find it easier to avoid delicate dances than to learn the footsteps, but that just means everyone on the floor ends up crashing into each other.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2010, 12:52 pm

RightGalaxy wrote:
"I'm lonely as all heck, but I'm still better than you" attitude.

HaAaaAaaYyYyy...Not everyAspie with that attitude is belligerent and undisciplined... :wink:

I wouldn't hurt a fly...but I'd sneer at him in a heartbeat... :twisted:

I do agree with you, though - having special needs should never be taken as a license to misbehave. Nobody likes a brat, no matter what their excuse is.