Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Apr 2010, 6:56 pm

I was sitting with my social worker yesterday, and I had a brilliant idea (I hope). We were complaining about how much is available for children, and nothing for adults. And I said, "Wait a minute. If they have classes for 3 year-olds, why don't I join them? It's the same stuff I have to learn." And so she's looking into it.

What do you think?

davis
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Apr 2010, 8:06 pm

have you looked at GRASP? If you live close enough, there are some in person group meetings. Otherwise, there are online support groups. Good luck!

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 9:08 pm

Look for research studies for adults in your area. There's one where I am at a major university medical center that involves training for autistic adults.

riverspark
Toucan
Toucan

10 Apr 2010, 9:39 pm

I am going to start occupational therapy this summer. Most places only work with kids, but my psychologist found a place that found a place that also works with adults. It's just like anything else: asks somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody who knows...

So, go for it, and best of luck!! :)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 9:57 pm

I know that there exist classes aimed at people with social anxiety disorder; these often do teach many of the same things that autistics need to learn, socially.

I wonder if there are classes aimed at people who need to learn practical skills, like me and the bus system, or paying bills, or cooking, or... y'know, all those little things the NTs just seem to pick up. I know they teach them to people with mental retardation, but I think many of those classes take place in special ed at school, and that's probably not something we could just join if we weren't under twenty years old.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 1:48 am

There is never anything related to what I am intrested in. From what I've noticed it's just positions in jobs others don't want such as janitors or fast food clerks or sterotypical AS jobs such as computers. If these people truely want to help me why not arrange for me to shadow a vet or something of that nature?