Question about your speech and other ppl's speech

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2010, 4:45 pm

Mosaicofminds wrote:
When I get excited about something, I start talking very quickly and jerkily, like the words are coming out in spurts, and sometimes I mix up syllables in words and have to go back and correct myself. When I'm happy about some idea, it comes off as enthusiastic and engaging. When I'm nervous or angry, I've been told it's offputting.

Exact same for me. When I'm really nervous or angry, I'm completely useless even trying to express myself verbally. I figure it's pointless me even trying, I may as well be speaking swahili.

In close relationships when I get really upset by something. and the other person wants to talk about it and I just can't is the worst. No one understands this. It's like the connection from my brain to my mouth has a system failure :x I haven't met a single person in my life who understands this. I've also been told it's off-putting.

What's off-putting to me, is being pushed to talk when I can't. It's like, "Get a clue and back off".

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 3:50 pm

Apparently I sound "stilted", but if I'm not, I'll stammer and use slightly wrong words, or at least words which do not precisely convey that which I had wished to convey, but rather a slightly different version of it.

I particularly tend to stammer when I have to think on the spot, like in class when I'm trying to answer one of the instructor's questions, and this is very frustrating because it often appears to them that I don't know the answer when I actually do and needed about 1.5 more seconds to formulate how I was going to say it than they afforded me.

It's much easier for me to SHOW them what I'm talking about than to say it, especially in my field.