Autistic people are often left handed or ambidextrous

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 5:20 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I am right-handed, so I don't think there is any link between autism and left-handedness.

Remember, a link is not the same thing as an equivalency.

There is a higher incidence rate of Tourette's among Aspies, but not every Aspie has TS. So there may be a link between AS and TS--but people with AS and not TS do no disprove the link.

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 8:59 pm

I can write with both hands, but prefer the right.

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 10:04 pm

I am right handed sort of....I tend to think of myself as more ambi-undextrous though. When I started school I could not tell the teacher which hand I used more and she assigned my right hand for writing, although she routinely had to correct me because I struggled to identify my right hand from my left hand and it took a while before I was able to reliably identify which hand to use. Now-a-days my left hand is much more incompetent than my right hand.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 10:35 pm

I'm ambidextrous but my right hand is more dominant. Maybe I'm really right handed.

bigdave
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2010, 12:28 am

I'm right handed. I am very uncoordinated with my left.

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 2:36 am

I think the issue with the polls on this forum is very much that the questions is asked in a non-neutral way. Furthermore, because people that are ambidextrous or left-handed are "special", they are more likely to respond to questions regarding their dominant hand. This is true even for this very thread.

That said, I am right-handed.

Asperger85
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Apr 2010, 9:07 pm

According to the neuropsy test Im ambidextrous. I write with right, eat with both (never understood thought how to use knife and fork, so I try out new techs each time. Used the fingers only as a kid so), play instruments best with left. I will say that I in some cases are right-handed and in other cases left-handed and in some cases ambidextrous.

rainbowbutterfly
Toucan
Toucan

18 Apr 2010, 12:44 am

I write and draw with my left hand, use my right arm for things that require strength [/quote]

Same here. Though, I used to be 100% ambidextrous until the 6th grade. Every time I wrote my assignments, I would write on the left side of the paper with my left hand, and write on the right side of the paper with my right hand. Because I was constantly switching back and forth between hands when writing my teacher told me to stick with 1 hand so I winded up drawing and writing with my left hand.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2010, 12:54 am

I was one of the victims / beneficiaries of Dr. Spock - I started lewft handed like my brother but I was switched - he several year younger was not.

I am right legged, right eyed for sight but close only the left, I do a lot with the right hand but some things are reserved for my left - I am much happier using the mouse on my left.

Mikemosh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 May 2023, 5:48 pm

I'm ambidextrous and I have ASD high functioning , I was wondering if there was a correlation. I play the piano, the guitar, the drums, bass guitar, and the keyboards. It helps me feel less agitated.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 10:50 pm

I'm pretty much ambidextrous, although I do have to learn to do things with each hand if I want to actually be any good. It takes a bit of getting used to that I'm using my right eye to do things with my left hand. I can write legibly with both hands, although if I start thinking about it, writing left-handed gets to be a real mess. But, as long as I'm not thinking about it too much, it's better than most people's dominant hand.

That being said, I do have the concept of handedness for most tasks. It's mostly because I have a definite dominant eye and the practice it takes to have hand eye coordination.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 3:32 am

I'm considered right handed. Although I feel my hands are like an old married couple who have divided and specialized in household tasks. :) Each hand does different things and work together wonderfully. i.e. I wash my face with left hand, brush teeth with right hand, style my hair with left, blow dry with my right...etc.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 May 2023, 4:05 am

Write strictly with the left. My dog could write better than me if I try to use my right for writing.
Operate mouse strictly with the write. Also for scissors.
Most all other tasks it doesn't seem to matter.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2023, 8:18 pm

I think I am left eye dominant if I turn my head to the left and right eye dominant if I turn my head to the right.

I imagine that if someone were truly ambidextrous in the hands their could prefer to write with the hand paired with a near sighted eye. Writing uses the eyes and the hand. Someone might want to keep the hand with the far sighted eye free to be on guard. It could be the result of highly tuned survival instincts.

I wonder how much of this is silly but it seems true to me. Maybe it only holds true with a degree of ambidextrousness. Maybe a scientist should study what I’m talking about. They won’t cause they ain’t smaarrt, ha, ha.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2023, 9:39 pm

I was left handed until school. Back then it was still frowned upon and teachers would push you to use your right hand. That's the one I use for writing now and have for ages. I've been told certain things I do make me look like a 'leftie' though... things like how I staple papers together, for example. I guess old ways still exist or creep out? I dunno. But really, I am right handed for all practical purposes.