Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 5:22 pm

How unusual is it for people with NVLD and/or Asperger's specifically to score strictly within the average range on Raven's progressive matrices and similar tests?

Considering Raven's and other tests like it are wholly non-verbal, wouldn't it be fairly common for people with NVLD/AS to score below average on them?

These tests are supposedly heavily "G-loaded" (meaning they are alledgedly a good indication of "General intelligence") but I don't think the concept of "general intelligence" is very meaningful when it comes to those who display alot of "scatter" on IQ tests.

I usually score squarely within the average range (100-102) on the Raven's and similar tests. I have scored as high as the 91st percentile (superior range) on the Matrix reasoning subtest on one WAIS-III I had and as low as low average on Matrix reasoning in another WAIS-III.

The Matrix reasoning subtest is inspired by the Raven's and it's on the Performance section of the WAIS-III.

Nonetheless...it seems that many NVLD/AS people here on WP obtain very high scores on Raven's and similar tests.

My usually average scores on Raven's and similar tests seem to be pretty consistent with my PIQ scores on most of the WAIS-III tests i've had.

My PIQ was 94, 100, 102 respectively on three of them. It was significantly lower (82) on another and somewhat higher (111) on the most recent WAIS I took.

My VIQ scores are always in the superior-very superior range.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 5:43 pm

I do know that people with ASDs tend to score higher on this test than others, but then, that study was for people with verbal delays, so that makes sense.

I score high on these. Had one given to me when I was two, which actually masked the difficulties I had at the time.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 7:03 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
I do know that people with ASDs tend to score higher on this test than others, but then, that study was for people with verbal delays, so that makes sense.

I score high on these. Had one given to me when I was two, which actually masked the difficulties I had at the time.

But don't people with ASDs ASIDE from Asperger's TEND to be visual thinkers rather than verbal thinkers?

That's not to say Aspies can't be visual thinkers, but it seems more common in those with other ASDs.

Disproportionately speaking....aren't the PIQ scores of those with other ASDs often higher than their VIQ ones?

With Aspies/NLD-ers it's more often the other way around.

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2010, 7:25 pm

if i remember correctly, the raven was way easier than the matrix reasoning subtest. the raven is more about finding embedded figures and patterns while the matrix reasoning subtest is more about spatial relationships. to me the latter was like sensory overload with all those things to process at once.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 7:29 pm

petitesouris wrote:
if i remember correctly, the raven was way easier than the matrix reasoning subtest. the raven is more about finding embedded figures and patterns while the matrix reasoning subtest is more about spatial relationships. to me the latter was like sensory overload with all those things to process at once.

I frankly don't recall the difference between the two tests, but you're probably right.

irie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Apr 2012, 9:00 pm

I had a high matrix reasoning score (91st percentile) but was average, below average, or moderately impaired in all other PIQ subtest areas. Like Horus, I scored in the "superior range" on the VIQ. I was labeled NVLD. I'm curious if others did way better on the matrix reasoning subtest than any of the other PIQ subtests.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 11:48 am

AS is not NVLD. AS is autism. People with AS tend to score above average on the Raven matrices according to a study in Japan. I am personally somewhat boss at the Raven Matrices.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 12:05 pm

petitesouris wrote:

Maybe it could explain why I scored 91th percentile on matrix and 95-100th percentile on raven, likelly during the same day. If you're right then the raven would be a better measure of general intelligence and depth of reflexion, while the matrix, in typical Weshler fashion, is more about brute strength and perfomance.

irie wrote:
I had a high matrix reasoning score (91st percentile) but was average, below average, or moderately impaired in all other PIQ subtest areas. Like Horus, I scored in the "superior range" on the VIQ. I was labeled NVLD. I'm curious if others did way better on the matrix reasoning subtest than any of the other PIQ subtests.

Me too, except for the VIQ part.

Ganondox wrote:
People with AS tend to score above average on the Raven matrices according to a study in Japan.

Thanks to break hope I could be "gifted".

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 1:47 pm

I'm curious; what is the Raven test like?

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 4:02 pm

UnLoser wrote:

http://iqtest.dk/main.swf
It's said that the scores are bellow of 10 to 15 points from real tests from being callibrated on the Internet. Well, maybe...

Last edited by Tollorin on 22 Apr 2012, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faerie_queene87
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2012, 4:48 pm

Tollorin wrote:
It's said that the scores are bellow of 10 to 15 points from real tests from being callibrated on the Internet. Well, maybe...

how reliable is that? I finished it in about 12 minutes and I got 130... definitely above my expectations...

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 2:16 pm

Tollorin wrote:
UnLoser wrote:

Wow.

I got a 96....minus the 10 or 15 points for "internet test"......

Seesh. Apparently I have some rather significant visuo-spatial issues. Stupid little shapes. :evil:

Quote:
Maybe it could explain why I scored 91th percentile on matrix and 95-100th percentile on raven, likelly during the same day. If you're right then the raven would be a better measure of general intelligence and depth of reflexion, while the matrix, in typical Weshler fashion, is more about brute strength and perfomance.

Yeah, I've noticed that people seem to regard whatever IQ test they did better on as a "more accurate reflection" of "intelligence."

Just sayin'

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 2:31 pm

I got 138 on that test, which I feel pretty proud of. Am I supposed to subtract 15 points to get an accurate score? Is that because people don't put effort into the test and throw off the average?

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 3:44 pm

The purpose of the RPM, and tests like it, is to minimize the effect of language, culture, and formal education when measuring cognitive ability. The term 'culture fair' is used for tests like this. The difference between WAIS and RPM in terms of norms is that NTs score roughly the same on both tests, while on average people with AS score better on RPM than on WAIS. It's not that AS is superior on the RPM, it's that AS RPM scores tend to correlate better with the general population norm on the RPM. Contrary to what many people on this forum may believe, AS scores on the WAIS, as an average tend to be slightly below the NT mean.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2012, 4:16 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

Wow.

I got a 96....minus the 10 or 15 points for "internet test"......

Seesh. Apparently I have some rather significant visuo-spatial issues. Stupid little shapes. :evil:

UnLoser wrote:
I got 138 on that test, which I feel pretty proud of. Am I supposed to subtract 15 points to get an accurate score? Is that because people don't put effort into the test and throw off the average?

No, what I meant is that you should add 10 to 15 points to get the result that would give a real test. It's something I read somewehere on WP, don't know if it's really a accurate advice or not.