Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2010, 5:19 am

i had this bizarre attachment to a marble collection when i was a kid. the marbles had names and personalities and relationships to each other ... i had a catalog of their characteristics and i acted out little scenarios, including a wedding between the two marbles i liked the best.

i have no idea what happened to the marbles (I lost my marbles! haha ... :geek: )

it's completely ridiculous, but i still think about them!! ! are they ok??? i feel like i've abandoned them.

it's a little weird - and should have been an indicator something was "off" - for a kid to be so attached to inanimate objects, moreso than to my family.

i also get really attached to places - cities, and really particular spots i like to hang out at (alone).

KansasFound
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Apr 2010, 12:27 pm

http://lifeontheothersideofthewall.blog ... jects.html

My blog: http://lifeontheothersideofthewall.blogspot.com

Author of Finding Kansas: Decoding the Enigma of Asperger's Syndrome www.findingkansas.com

Agnieszka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2010, 12:40 pm

I was like that as a kid but still am a little bit :)

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2010, 1:29 pm

This subject is fairly known, but you don't see it talked about as much.

I was like that as a child, and am still somewhat like that. I've learned to just throw some things out, otherwise I'd be stuck with it for the rest of my life!

My mother is like this too, but it sounds like she may have had it worse than me!

Samara1991
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2010, 5:18 pm

I'm glad I'm not alone :D

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2010, 5:57 pm

KansasFound wrote:
http://lifeontheothersideofthewall.blogspot.com/2010/03/inappropriate-attachment-to-objects.html

very interesting KF. what is the soda can story?

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2010, 7:17 pm

katzefrau wrote:
i also get really attached to places - cities, and really particular spots i like to hang out at (alone).

Same here, although I don't mind hanging out with other people at my places.

Cryforthemoon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2010, 7:24 pm

I'm a 29 year old male with a stuffed bear that I still think of as a living thing. And that even when I had my dog around. Part of it could be not really wanting things to change and feeling safe.

Whatsherhame
Toucan
Toucan

22 Apr 2010, 7:29 pm

This is why all of my stuffed animals are stored in big groups. The idea being that all of them are kept in such large groups the nobody can possibly be friendless or lonely. :oops:

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2010, 7:54 pm

First, Samara, I want to say how sorry I am that you had to do that. I know exactly how that feels. I feel that my possessions have spirits, I always have and I probably always will. I get very attached to things I have acquired over my life. Sometimes it seems all I have had. I still have my teddy bear, "Theodosia" and stuffed mouse, "Mouse" that whinds up and play's "The Three Blind Mice".

KansasFound

22 Apr 2010, 10:33 pm

katzefrau wrote:
KansasFound wrote:
http://lifeontheothersideofthewall.blogspot.com/2010/03/inappropriate-attachment-to-objects.html

very interesting KF. what is the soda can story?

I culd be mean and say "buy my book" but I won't so here'e the story:

I don't remember people all that well, but I do have a associative memory meaning that if a person gives me an item or if I associate a person through an item I can remember them as best I can.

That being said, when I was 12, in 1995, I had a friend stay the night. He drank a minute maid soda can that night and placed it on my dresser. I am not a neat freak (if I start to clean I would never stop so why would I start?) so that can stayed there a while. This was fine by me because he moved away, but it was like he still was there through that can.

Time passed by, one month, six months, one year, three years, eventually five years later when I was at a race car driving school in Las Vegas my mom thought she would do me a favor and clean my room. When I returned I was horrified, shocked and in utter dismay. So many of my memories were tossed out, but the #1 thing I missed the most was that can.

It took me a long time to get over that can and I cried more over that can than the loss of my dog and two cats (each pet lived 15+ years and was about the only true friends I've ever had. I connect better with cats and dogs than people).

That's the story in a nut shell.

My blog: http://lifeontheothersideofthewall.blogspot.com

Author of Finding Kansas: Decoding the Enigma of Asperger's Syndrome www.findingkansas.com

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2010, 1:30 pm

I give faces and emotions to things, too.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain