Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

gumbygumby
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2010, 3:42 pm

Shoulder length or longer.

I dont think beards were ever good for camoflauge. Why did we evolve it all away until it was just on our heads? Why does it grow forever?

I accidentally pulled my beard and figured it out. OUCH. Hair is there to get pulled to injure our skin and make us develope scar tissue on an important part to protect. Beard is a chinguard.

Do men go bald to hold the attention of the enemy? Bald=Genetic General? A Comb-over Captain? Silky Smooth Slightly Shaven Silverback Seargent?

BIRDS! They evolved from dinosaurs? Dinosaurs went extinct but mammals thrived? Was it because of our hair? Birds are dinosaurs that tried to copy mammals and got sidetracked? A feather looks like its a scale that tried to evolve into hair..

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 4:47 pm

I don't know , but I heard on a nature show once that the closest present day relative of the Tyrannosaurus Rex is the common chicken. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 5:04 pm

Shouldn't this thread be in 'love and dating' or 'adult issues'? :?

gumbygumby
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2010, 5:05 pm

Maybe not <_< Chickens might know something we dont. We'll never let them go extinct. Theyre too delicious!

FredOak3
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Apr 2010, 5:06 pm

We go bald to become more aerodynamic and have less wind drag for when we finally use up fossil fuels and have to get back on our bikes. :D

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 5:08 pm

Aimless wrote:
I don't know , but I heard on a nature show once that the closest present day relative of the Tyrannosaurus Rex is the common chicken. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Yeah, I dunno...You make a chicken that's five stories high and I'll bet that mutha will cluck you up. :wink:

:::Peck it up, muthaclucka, you don't know me like that!::: :P

Last edited by Willard on 21 Apr 2010, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 5:09 pm

Beards are a survival evolution for an entirely different reason. Let's say you eat Chicken Pad Thai in the same manner I do. Now, your beard is holding sufficient chicken soup to get you through the Gobi desert in a pinch. And the flavor lasts for days. Got some hot water? Just soak your beard for a delicious cup of chicken soup! You even get the added protein of a few stray dust mites or other denizens.

-- Vip

gumbygumby
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2010, 5:18 pm

hahah. That makes sense! but i bet it's multifunctional.

This is a scientific discussion, it does NOT belong somewhere else >_< I'm also very uncomfortable with the possble leaps you would have had to made about my post to believe it has to do with dating..

The topic title and first line is a reference to the musical "Hair". It's from a song.

Gigi830
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Apr 2010, 5:26 pm

I just chopped off mine. It was too long and thick. It was giving me headaches and took way too long to take care of. and I literally mean chopped off. Did it myself. Prolly looks like crap. I really don't care. It's not worth it.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 6:09 pm

yeh im like the missing link or chewbacca, Im a walking shag-rug over 6-feet tall >_>

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 9:14 pm

I think I've taken a liking to short hair on girls in recent years. Also, humans don't have hair only on their heads. :wink:

Anyway, hair was originally for warmth and protection, which is why it grew EVERYWHERE. I think your scarring theory is plausible, but only in the event that damage is incurred. As humans evolved, we gained an increasing amount of 'bare' skin - skin capable of sweat. This was vital for our ancestors to herd/chase prey, as hairy men would overheat to rapidly in such a pursuit.

I heard someone talking on the radio once, about how he and some friends tried to chase down some deer. Initially, their plan was just to charge ahead and pursue the target in a single direction. Obviously, this didn't work, because deer are much faster than humans. Another issue they encountered was that the target deer would switch herds when two groups came near and intermixed, making it very difficult to track. Eventually, the plan these folks devised was to position a man or two at the top or just beyond the top of each hill in a given area. By yelling, they would alert one another when the herd was approaching, and the men would scare the deer back into the center of the area. At this point, they could theoretically move in with spears and make several kills, as the deer were somewhat trapped.

So yeah, less hair means better cooling systems. Hair still exists on the head because of the brain, most obviously, and on the other place because of, well, Darwin. As far as military intimidation, I would say that a shaved head loaded with tattoos and piercings and other strange things would send the message that they eat their young, and would like to eat yours as well. It's like how moths have spots that look like eyes - humans probably recognized this on some level, and found a way to copy it.

Dinosaurs went extinct primarily because a catastrophic climate change that destroyed most of the food supply. Volcanoes and asteroids aside, there were other issues. Firstly, the Dinos were irrationally large, which was impractical in many ways. Most obviously would be the herbivores - Elephants are the largest land mammals presently, and they are rather large herbivores. Dinosaur herbivores grew to many times the size of modern elephants, traveled in groups, and left hundreds of house-sized piles of dung all over the place. This encouraged diseases and parasites, and all around poor health. Large Dinos were on their way out one way or another.

But they do not have me

gumbygumby
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2010, 9:22 pm

:o

neat stuff. The beard supports the sweat theory because it absors the sweat away from the body.

Thats the beauty of growing scar tissue instead of armor. You only grow it if you have to fight a lot.

tiny dinosaurs turned into birds though, right? I bet they tasted like chicken already.

Gigi830
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Apr 2010, 2:42 am

MMM...Dinosaur.
I am SO going to say THAT instead of "chicken" from now on!