Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kwilky
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2010, 10:59 pm

Hi there. I was curious if anyone else finds themselves listening to the same music over and over again. I've been listening to the same song for about 12-13 hours straight today. No joke. Ok fine, I took a couple small breaks to get food and such but no longer than 30 minutes combined. I'm assuming this would absolutely drive a "normal" person insane but I do it often and don't see a problem. I don't plan on stopping until I go to bed and I'll probably continue with the same song tomorrow.

Do you find yourself doing this or other things repetitively? This might be more of an OCD thing than an autism thing. I'm really not sure.

Bugzee
Toucan
Toucan

24 Apr 2010, 11:07 pm

I am definietely like that. I will listen
to the same song over and over again,
and I have a small collection of songs I've
listened to over and over agian for about a year.

Elementary_Physics
Toucan
Toucan

24 Apr 2010, 11:09 pm

Yes yes YES!!
More so with DVD's though. My Father downloaded a Devo DVD with all their music videos and I watch it at least twice a day and ask my Father and family to watch it with me!! They always say No and my sister asked if it was my new Special Interest. I also have watched Forbidden Zone at least 30 times - Used to watch it every day before school.

kwilky
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2010, 11:11 pm

Oh yea same here. I come across a new song every once in a while on youtube and add it to my favorites and will usually listen to it over and over for at least 5 hours. When I don't have a new song to listen to then I'll pick an old one and listen for several hours. This current listening streak I'm on is not a record, but I believe it's close. It's actually the song one more time. That could be contributing to my non stop listening. It keeps telling me one more time! Haha.

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2010, 11:40 pm

I listen to the same song over and over sometimes...especially if it's one I particularly like at the time.

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 1:10 am

I never really did this but I hear about it so much on this website. I actually used to hear about it so much that I started trying it for a while and while I enjoyed it, I didn't find it enjoyable enough to change my way of listening to music permanantly. I'm more of an obsessive thinker. When I hear a song I like, it will play over and over in my head until I hear it again. I mean it's a constant thing too. When there's a new song in my head, it's there every time I let my mind wander and even when my mind isn't wandering, it's in the backround. I only need to hear said song a couple times though to be satisfied. I used to play video games obsessively. I would beat my favorite games over and over again. I just wanted to play them every day. Today, the most obsessive thing I do is watch ballet videos of my favorite dancers over and over. I also go on this website a lot.

LostNFound
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2010, 1:27 am

When I'm alone I've often played a single song over at least several times. I'm also prone to creating a mix cd with a usual suspects list of artists and will play that exclusively for weeks whenever driving. If I was blessed with more music I'm sure I'd entertain a bit more variety. I still haven't fully recovered from losing my Beatles White Album or running over *accidentally* Rubber Soul. I must replace those soon.

It's ironic really, because I frequently gripe about the craptastic playlists on local radio. We have a half dozen country and hip/hop stations, which just never was my thing. Two classic rock stations that must play Sweet Home Alabama *great song, great band, but ENOUGH* every 15 minutes on the hour. And yet it's the rare treat to hear a Beatles diddy or any of the other fine classics from such a momentous potential playlist. And of course preeminent college/MTV style station for 'people that really should just admit they don't enjoy music". The one pretty excellent indie rock station we had went the way of the dodo. No real market for that crap when you have to get the Gaga out there.

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 1:46 am

LostNFound wrote:
When I'm alone I've often played a single song over at least several times. I'm also prone to creating a mix cd with a usual suspects list of artists and will play that exclusively for weeks whenever driving. If I was blessed with more music I'm sure I'd entertain a bit more variety. I still haven't fully recovered from losing my Beatles White Album or running over *accidentally* Rubber Soul. I must replace those soon.

It's ironic really, because I frequently gripe about the craptastic playlists on local radio. We have a half dozen country and hip/hop stations, which just never was my thing. Two classic rock stations that must play Sweet Home Alabama *great song, great band, but ENOUGH* every 15 minutes on the hour. And yet it's the rare treat to hear a Beatles diddy or any of the other fine classics from such a momentous potential playlist. And of course preeminent college/MTV style station for 'people that really should just admit they don't enjoy music". The one pretty excellent indie rock station we had went the way of the dodo. No real market for that crap when you have to get the Gaga out there.

I love music and I LOVE the Gaga. She's actually someone who I play over and over. Her songs get stuck in my head and never go away. I don't like the way some people treat pop music. I feel like there is nothing wrong with music that's over produced and sung by singers who aren't that talented, as long as the end result sounds good. I'm NOT saying Gaga isn't talented. She sings better than most pop artists out there. Some of them aren't talented, yet their songs consistenly get stuck in my head. I would never see some of them live though.

LostNFound
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2010, 3:20 am

dustintorch wrote:
LostNFound wrote:

I love music and I LOVE the Gaga. She's actually someone who I play over and over. Her songs get stuck in my head and never go away. I don't like the way some people treat pop music. I feel like there is nothing wrong with music that's over produced and sung by singers who aren't that talented, as long as the end result sounds good. I'm NOT saying Gaga isn't talented. She sings better than most pop artists out there. Some of them aren't talented, yet their songs consistenly get stuck in my head. I would never see some of them live though.

Makes me think of what Rob said in High Fidelity. "Do I listen to pop music because I'm depressed, or am I depressed because I listen to pop music?"

I like pop music. Just good pop music, lol. Seriously though you could have just as easily referred to many bands as pop. It may indeed be popluar but all I hear is dance/club music. Somehow, for a modern audience, Dido or Feist seem prime examples of pop. I actually dig some of their stuff.

And I realize I'm uncomfortably close to one of those a*holes who only define whats worth listening to by personal taste. I just like music that I can feel the passion in. It does't have to be pretty or even have a helluva lot of rhythum and beat. But I have to feel the music. The White Stripes or Nirvana sure as heck didn't/don't pump out the sweetest melodies in a typical sense but I really feel them putting theirself into it. I had a stint where I really, really loved Crystal Method years ago. I once got off on old school NIN. But I'm an old man at 32 and The Beatles glorify modern music for me. They really did a fine job summing up so many possibilities and angles beautifully over their career. All this contemporary dance/hip hop is so awfully sterile and cold somehow. Oh that gremlin I cannot stand. Lil' Wayne. And Soulja Boy! YUCK! And all the auto tuning. I think they'd sound better awful than auto tuned awful.

LostNFound
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2010, 3:23 am

dustintorch wrote:
LostNFound wrote:

Makes me think of what Rob said in High Fidelity. "Do I listen to pop music because I'm depressed, or am I depressed because I listen to pop music?"

I like pop music. Just good pop music, lol. Seriously though you could have just as easily referred to many bands as pop. It may indeed be popluar but all I hear is dance/club music. . I admit I've had "Bad Romance" stuck in my head many times. But that's hardly a compliment. I'd take the Kesha girl over her.

I realize I'm uncomfortably close to one of those a*holes who only define whats worth listening to by personal taste. I just like music that I can feel the passion in. It does't have to be pretty or even have a helluva lot of rhythum and beat. But I have to feel the music. The White Stripes or Nirvana sure as heck didn't/don't pump out the sweetest melodies in a typical sense but I really feel them putting theirself into it. I had a stint where I really, really loved Crystal Method years ago. I once got off on old school NIN. But I'm an old man at 32 and The Beatles glorify modern music for me. Hendrix, SRV, CCR, E.Smith, REM. They really did a fine job summing up so many possibilities and angles beautifully over their career. All this contemporary dance/hip hop is so awfully sterile and cold somehow. Oh that gremlin I cannot stand. Lil' Wayne. And Soulja Boy! YUCK! And all the auto tuning. I think they'd sound better awful than auto tuned awful.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 4:16 am

Yup, I do this pretty much whenever I add music to my collection.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 5:15 am

I do this all the time and I thought hang on, it is just so weird how I can listen to music and not get bored of it... I only get bored of it after a whole month.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 5:17 am

I find that there are a couple of bands that I listen to, over and over. The Kinks and The Who. That music reminds me of the only fun things, about my past.

LostNFound
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2010, 5:40 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I find that there are a couple of bands that I listen to, over and over. The Kinks and The Who. That music reminds me of the only fun things, about my past.

I get a kick out of "Lola" every time I'm lucky enough our lousy classic rock station plays it. The Hives feel a whole lot like The Kinks in spirit. Well, maybe a bit meaner spirited from what I've heard, but all the same. Are you familiar?

Truth is I'm a big fake for the most part with music. I didn't really get a love for it until pubery and even then most of what I know was introduced by the local lousy stations. I feel I've got a solid foundation but also there's alot out there to be discovered. Outside of "Lola" and "You Really Got Me" I couldn't name another by them I know. I am ashamed.

There's that segment of avant garde interests out there that would run me up the flagpole and back again for my ignorance. But I'm more than content with Beatles, E. Smith, and my various other loves.

Agnieszka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 6:17 am

Well... When I was a kid and one day I was listening to Natalie Imbruglia's Torn and later that day I found out my grandma died and I thought probably she was dying while I was enjoying the song again and again... I couldn't listen to a song twice in a row, no mather how much I liked it (I was scared that somebody would die...). Now I know it was silly but still feel strange when I want to listen to a song again and again... :roll:

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2010, 7:54 am

I used to be able to listen to iron maiden for days on end, nowadays its either Dream Theater or Tool (love their Laturalus Album)

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/