Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

S-P-M-E
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Apr 2010, 4:40 pm

kwilky wrote:
Hi there. I was curious if anyone else finds themselves listening to the same music over and over again. I've been listening to the same song for about 12-13 hours straight today. No joke. Ok fine, I took a couple small breaks to get food and such but no longer than 30 minutes combined. I'm assuming this would absolutely drive a "normal" person insane but I do it often and don't see a problem. I don't plan on stopping until I go to bed and I'll probably continue with the same song tomorrow.

Do you find yourself doing this or other things repetitively? This might be more of an OCD thing than an autism thing. I'm really not sure.

Thank you for posting this!! I've been doing it my entire music-listening life, and never knew anyone else that did it too. I also never made the connection to Aspie-ism, which is silly really, but it's nice to finally realize it.

In a rational world, those who act in rational ways would be considered normal, and those who act in irrational ways that they somehow decided were "right" would be the freaks.

Unico
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Apr 2010, 5:36 pm

I listen to songs or artists or albums over and over again. Sometimes it's just for a day, sometimes it's for weeks. I listened to my Tori Amos playlist on repeat every day for about a year and still sometimes listen to it.

Lung_Drac
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Apr 2010, 6:25 pm

Why yes, I do listen to the same song over and over, especially when I recently found it. I might listen just to it for days, and all the while I never get tired. But...

That's kind of a problem. After numbing my mind with that one song, it lost its "awe-inspiring" impact on me like when I first heard it. Sometimes I don't listen to it for a long time after. On the other hand, once I've listened to it long enough, I know it by heart.

sketches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2010, 7:17 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Yup, I do this pretty much whenever I add music to my collection.

Yep, me too. Also might I add, ALL of my favorite songs (I have a list of them, for the record), every single one of my favorite songs, all of them, forever, I couldn't possibly get sick by listening to them over & over.

On the contrary to the poster above me, I actually do not lose the awe-inspiring impact that I had when I first heard it. That is my issue. My feelings/opinions do not change on things. (But that is a different topic, so let's stick to music!)

Lung_Drac

26 Apr 2010, 10:14 pm

sketches wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Yup, I do this pretty much whenever I add music to my collection.

On the contrary to the poster above me, I actually do not lose the awe-inspiring impact that I had when I first heard it.

Really? 8O

Well, what I meant was after a while the song I listen to starts to sound...different. I never loose its message, though (even if I don't know what it means).

Jkid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2010, 1:43 am

I actually have the same thing as the OP. I tend to listen to the same track over and over because the instrumentals itself is that good. But the interesting thing is that when I go back to my comfort music I find a music track that I want to hear over and over agian. Just hours ago I've been listening to the Bloody Tears tracks from the Castlevania series.

This is one of the many interations of Bloody Tears and the most recent one from Castlevania Judgement:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXEDDBARWmI&playnext_from=TL&videos=6M8C1raYNEU[/youtube]

Owl

27 Apr 2010, 4:15 am

I've been listening to Kids by MGMT for three days now - while I work. I enjoy music this way.

spiders
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Apr 2010, 7:12 pm

I used to listen to the same track over and over when I was younger.

Now I listen to the same albums over and over. If my one of my favourite bands brings out a new album, I play it constantly (to the annoyance of my partner).
My son has just started doing this also, and I don't mind because he likes the same music as me.
He used to complain about me playing System Of A Down all the time but now he does it!
I only listen to Disturbed, Alter Bridge, System Of A Down and Scars On Broadway. I've been stuck on System for 7 years, the others less. At work I have to listen to pop because I work in a music store. But near the end of the day we listen to metal 8)
I am anxiously awaiting the release of the new Disturbed album and the new Alter Bridge album, so I can play them over and over :D

johnners
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2010, 10:28 pm

I had a sort of combination of wanting to hear the same track again and again, and my 'magical thinking: I could listen to the same track 4 times in a row, but not 3 or 2. For some reason, if I listened to the same track fewer than 4 times, that meant bad luck, which usually manifested itself as embarrssment in some form later in the day.

Also, there were tracks that I could listen to up to a particular point, before I had to wind on to the next track or start again; if I listened past that point, bad luck for me!

sourus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Apr 2010, 11:18 pm

Yup, I do this. My MP3 player has a point A to point B function that lets me listen to the guitar solo from Panteras "Throes of rejection". I'll walk all over town listening to it over and over.
I should start a different thread about this, but something else I find kind of different about my musical appreciation is the fact that I never like a song the first time I hear it. I only discover that I like a song after being exposed to it for awhile kind of on accident. Like if a roomate plays it a lot, or if its on someones myspace.
People always try to get me to listen to things and I have to sit there and pretend I get it, but then maybe a few weeks later after hearing it a lot It will click and then I go on a binge, listening to it over and over.
If for some reason I find a song catchy the first time I hear it, it burns out really quickly.
By the way, I've probably spent a year of my life pressing my headphones into my skull blasting Soungardens Superunknown.

Azolet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2010, 1:00 am

As I read this, I am listening to "Explain to Me" by Liz Phair for about the 50th time today (not an exaggeration) :lol:. I listened to it about 50 times yesterday and the day before as well. I expect within the next few days, I will be thoroughly sick of that song.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 3:29 am

I alot of time will listen to the same song over and over again. Also if you want that you can go to

http://leekspin.com/ it is not the desgusting one/

SmellHole
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2010, 5:06 am

All the time! Whenever I find a new song that I like a lot you can bet yer ass I'll be listening to it on repeat all the ruddy day. Possibly all week.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 5:38 am

I do that as well. But I do not put the music on repeat, I have to start it manually each time. Currently, it's Floating Bridge by MC Frontalot.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Brundisium
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2010, 8:07 am

I do this constantly.

Takes me a long time to move on to another "favourite song in the world".

SmellHole
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2010, 11:53 am

LostInEmulation wrote:
I do that as well. But I do not put the music on repeat, I have to start it manually each time.

Can you explain that further?