Expelled from College - What now?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 1:04 pm

I just got expelled from college for something I didn't do, what are the chances of another college accepting me?

I have a 3.2 GPA........

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 2:20 pm

If it's something you didn't do, find a way to appeal it.

But they do not have me

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 May 2010, 2:23 pm

No appeal?

Here's another way to go, at least to think about:

Skip College: Go Into Business For Yourself

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 4:51 pm

Claradoon wrote:
No appeal?

Here's another way to go, at least to think about:

Skip College: Go Into Business For Yourself

speaking of going into business for yourself, if another civil war/revolutionary/world war happens, im thinking of making a privatized armed force that will sell itself to towns/hospitals and such to be a security force of sorts, to keep looters away and stuff. Be more of a neutral party, no one can have any involvement with any of the other armys if they join type of stuff :/

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 5:46 pm

Apera wrote:
If it's something you didn't do, find a way to appeal it.

I agree with Apera. Your college should have the appeals procedure listed on their website or in the handbook. Appeal the decision. Out of curiosity, what was the offense and what evidence did they present? If you don't want to say, that's okay, it's just that if we knew, we might give more specific advice. For instance, for some issues you may be better off getting legal representation.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 6:41 pm

You could...
1. Appeal their decision, though it sort of depends on what you did/the college you go to (it could have been a ridiculous reason that isn't worth appealing)
2. Go straight to a career (though it seems you want to go to another college)
3. Try to get accepted to another college

I think your best chance would be getting accepted to a junior college, though I don't know what year you are. I don't know much about expulsion about how it affects your chances. I would check out some schools you're interested in, call their admissions office/make an appointment with admissions, and speak with them about your chances of being admitted because of your expulsion. I think that's the best thing you could do. It might even be a good idea to get a recommendation or two from one of your professors at your old college (though to be honest I'm not sure how appropriate that is). If that doesn't work out, maybe you could find some classes you need at a junior college even if you aren't a freshman/sophomore.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2010, 8:43 pm

dcj123 wrote:
I just got expelled from college for something I didn't do, what are the chances of another college accepting me?

I have a 3.2 GPA........

Appeal! And don't do it on your own, get a laywer!

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 2:33 am

What is that something that you didn't do, but get expelled for? And what is the college concerned that you are expelled from?

Please PM me if you can tell me more, because I may have strategies to help you appeal. :)

Well this comes from a person who gets expelled from many activities despite being capable in them. (I won't join any organization that I cannot do)

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 12:17 pm

Well I can't really talk about it for security reasons, but I can give an overview. It appears now, that an older staff member did not set clear boundaries. We were border-lining on a relationship, 100% trust but nothing physical happened. Because of the trust, we exchanged computer passwords and I logged in as this staff member a few times from my laptop.

I didn't think anything of it since in my mind I had permission, however IT felt differently and I was expelled for hacking. Despite the fact that I have never ran a brute force or dictionary attack against the server, IT tracked me by my Mac address which I made no attempt to hide since I felt like I had permission.

If that last part eludes you, I am a computer major and computers are my narrow interest. Anyway, I could get this staff member in trouble and probably go back to school but I still have feelings for them. My parents think it was a horrible abuse of power and they want to appeal.

I just wanna leave it alone, I think I've hurt enough people.

Last edited by dcj123 on 02 May 2010, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 May 2010, 12:23 pm

No way. The one that got hurt was you. Make it right - fess up with the truth. As for caring for this other person, if they cared about you, they'd have come forward by now. This won't go away. It will follow you all your life. You *must* straighten out the facts with the college. Be guided by your parents - they know how long a life is, and this will become a stigma wherever you go. Fix it, really!

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 12:43 pm

Claradoon wrote:
No way. The one that got hurt was you. Make it right - fess up with the truth. As for caring for this other person, if they cared about you, they'd have come forward by now. This won't go away. It will follow you all your life. You *must* straighten out the facts with the college. Be guided by your parents - they know how long a life is, and this will become a stigma wherever you go. Fix it, really!

Well surprisingly, my parents are more upset at what they see as an extremely inappropriate relationship, I had left campus more than once with this staff member. The staff member also knew I was autistic and we exchanged gifts, it was to the point that that staff member's boss complained.

Still you have to admit, me logging in as a staff member was incredible stupid. From the looks of the situation now, I think we deserved each other.

Last edited by dcj123 on 02 May 2010, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 May 2010, 1:33 pm

You're being too casual, keeping the problem in the emotional range. It's strongest effect is practical - you have to redeem your reputation. This is no longer about you and your friend. It's what they call Hardball, with the opening shot by the friend's boss.

I'm so frustrated trying to make you see this!

You two deserve each other? Can't you try to wrap your head around your future? You will have "expelled" and "wrongful hacker" attached to your name, blinking in neon.

Get your name cleared and get yourself re-admitted. Have you even looked up the procedure? Are you caught up in the Romeo & Juliet aspect of this? That's all very well but they both ended up dead.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 1:56 pm

I can understand your parents' position -- it is highly inappropriate for a member of university staff (faculty?) to have pursued this kind of close personal relationship with a student. The relationship may not have become physical by the point it ended, but it was definitely headed that way. Yes, you screwed up by using the login information and that probably is enough to get you expelled, but the other person also violated policy by giving it to you (among other things) and should be held accountable. If the person returned your feelings, he or she would have stepped in to explain the situation and to try and protect you. They didn't. This person does not deserve your loyalty.

You may need legal advice, however. If it had gotten to the point that the person's supervisor knew what was going on and that person didn't start an official inquiry, then the college is probably hoping that you -- and the problem -- will just quietly go away. The problem with this is that it leaves this loser in the position to continue trolling the academic waters for more trusting and naive undergrads.

I don't mean to sound harsh, here. At your age, I very likely -- make that most definitely -- would have fallen for this kind of thing. I would have been horribly flattered and wouldn't have had the experience or maturity to recognize that the relationship being offered was inappropriate. I imagine you don't, either.

As far as the expulsion goes, you may have to just chalk it up to experience and move on. Make an appointment with an admissions councellor at the next institution, maybe with someone from their office of mental health or whoever handles students with disabilities present to explain about autism and some of the social ramifications of it, and be open and honest about what happened. Let them know that you now understand that you shouldn't use someone else's login information even if they give it to you. I can't guarantee that it will work, but it's about all you can do at this point.

But, definitely, file a complaint against the staff member who got you into this mess in the first place! And, in the future, if someone offers you a relationship that has to be kept secret, it's not romantic. It's a bad situation. Walk away.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 2:09 pm

Colleges usually have some faculty handbook detailing that staff and faculty must not breach the barriers of professionality.

The responsibility to prevent the relationship from progression beyond that point was on the responsibility of the person you speak of and NOT you.

It was incredibly unprofessional of this person to act in the manner they did and I do not think you would be in the wrong to continue to defend yourself against the school and try to appeal the expulsion.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 5:26 pm

Dcj123, your lecturer seems more concerned in protecting their own ass than any feelings or concern for you. I'd say they are sh*****g themselves at the moment because their job may be online, but that's no excuse to let a disabled student take all the blame.

Not only were they stupid enough to give your their password, they may have also breached student-lecturer ethics (thought that depends how close you were). Don't let your feelings cloud your judgement; tell people the truth and see what happens. The fact that you have 'dirt' on the college staff may mean that they cancel out and both your charges get dropped.

Your parents are right; you need to appeal. You are in the wrong for using her password illegally, and I know you feel bad for doing so, but the college needs to know the whole truth behind it, otherwise you will be hit with the full penalty.

I'm not in favour of using AS as a defense for any bad behaviour, but in your case I really can see how you came to the wrong conclusion and I think you need to show everyone else that you are not some Gary McKinnon Junior...

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 11:47 am

Screw all of em, I get the last laugh

I didn't lose my scholarship and I just got accepted by a nicer college - How is that for a quick rebound? Actually I am not accepted yet but its looking very promising, I am just thrilled that I haven't lose my scholarship.