Do we/talk/do some action without thinking?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 9:10 pm

I've always been told "think before you act." (This counts towards words/actions) Looking back I don't think I have ever thought before acting. Whether it was violent issues as an elementary school student or the threat/joke leading to the college suspension. Did I KNOW threatening a teacher jokingly was wrong DUH! but I wasn't THINKING before the action I tend to just "behave" say what's on my mind/be myself. While IMO NT's are wired to already KNOW how to behave in situations (what to say/do) Is this normal for Aspies? Maybe it's just me. :-(

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 11:13 pm

A lot of people in general like to say they think before doing things, lol. But I know that they do not always.

I mean, there is a reason one has to prove that they are not a psycho parent to the school teachers before they start listening. It's because many parents go into the school, winding up banned from being present at all, because they walked in ranting and raving, rather than ready to sit down and actually discuss.

Same with other places... the ONLY time I ever hear "think before you act", is when somebody else wants to point out the mistake I've made.

But fully on topic, I don't think much before I do things normally... I just kind of do things. I think this is why I have such a hard time picking anything to actually focus on for a career, or answering those "where do you think you'll be in 5 years?" types of questions. I just cannot answer it.

I mean, I think about things before doing them-should I or should I not, sometimes... but it's not in the same context of "what will the consequences be?". I don't really think of how others will react, much, or what other possible outcomes will happen if I do this/that... and I think about the thing the minute it comes to my mind, for probably no more than 5 minutes usually. I don't think about it hours ahead of time... I think about it when I see something that connects to it, or right when something happens.

There is no way to plan how someone will react to something, as everyone reacts differently... therefore I don't really mess with thinking about those types of things until after I've done it. Then I can debate possible outcomes once I know how it was first handled, lol. I can draw connections from that. I cannot possibly draw a connection from anything that hasn't already happened.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

cmate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2010, 5:47 am

I would say that was very true for me years ago - when I was a kid, I was always getting in trouble, just acting and doing, not much thinking. Now though, something I think too much. Heck, I can spend hours and hours and days to make a purchase, doing crazy research.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 5:53 am

I used to be the type, who spoke before I would think. Now I think, before I speak.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 6:06 am

I tend to over think every action so much that I rarely do act. I'm working on it.

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2010, 11:57 am

i always think about the consequences before i act, but i still wind up doing stupid things anyways. am i really so disconnected as to think that all of my actions will be fine?