Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

NathansMommy
Raven
Raven

12 May 2010, 12:13 pm

Ok. So, i'm a fairly healthy person. I watch what I eat, drink tons of water and am as active as I can be. The one thing that I guess could be deemed "unhealthy" is that I drink 1 sugar free energy drink a day at work. Well, a co-worker who sits next to me always tells me how unhealthy it is and that I am going to permanently damage my brain or get cancer from consuming aspartame. Although I don't have all the facts and I do not know where I stand in the debate on whehter artificial sweetners are dangerous, what makes me laugh is that this co-worker smokes cigarettes! Good thing smoking has no negative side effects, right? People are funny!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 1:02 pm

People crack me up, as well. The way that my female peers just look straight ahead, without saying good morning to me, when I walk past them. What are they teaching their kids? That people with Beatle hair, between the ages 25 and 45 are ret*d?

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 1:26 pm

I read the title and I thought you were wanting people to make you laugh, like you were having a bad day and needed a good laugh. I was going to post this (and apparently still am):

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=5P6UU6m3cqk[/youtube]

I know what you mean though, people are funny creatures indeed.

NathansMommy
Raven
Raven

12 May 2010, 1:38 pm

Samwise,

I'm always up for a good laugh or even just a smile. I'm sure there are little things that everyone notices about other people that makes them shake their heads and laugh. I would love to hear!

NathansMommy
Raven
Raven

12 May 2010, 1:41 pm

...not necessarily insulting people, but just the little things. It just makes me laugh that a heavy smoker is giving me health advise, especially about carcinogens!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 3:09 am

there is an old expression, "the pot calling the kettle black."

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 4:38 am

I heard the body converts aspartame to a bunch of substances, including formic acid which is what ants secrete when they attack. Don't quote me on this though!

The body isn't capable of doing anything else with formic acid, and in higher dosages it can make you blind or even kill you.

The nutrient authorities however have decided that the amount of aspartame used as sweeteners is safe for consumption.

Last edited by Kenjuudo on 13 May 2010, 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenjuudo
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 4:39 am

Edit: double post

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 6:14 am

luckily for me, aspartame [for now, god-willing] seems to have no downside i can detect, IOW the things which addle me now were the same before aspartame was invented. splenda is a great sweetener, and since most of the stuff on store shelves [in the diet section] uses this [in USA], i find it helps me keep the poundage down. what lots of folk have forgotten, is that typical dietary quantities of refined carbs like white flour and white sugar are BAD for you, and in their own ways worse even than aspartame with its formic acid and whatnot.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2010, 6:58 am

People never cease to amuse me.