Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 1:36 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dCfAiEYsE4[/youtube]

I think it sounds weird. The groans are because I am bending over to reach her cage and it hurts my back (scolosis). I also can't brethe and talk at the same time. When I'm not talking to Pippin in "baby talk" does my voice sound monotone or just plain weird?

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 1:48 pm

Weeeell I don't think you're monotone... BUT the trouble is that you're asking other people who have frequently been called monotone themselves to make that call. If I talk that way, and my kids talk that way from hearing me, and so on, well, what do I know? I always imagined a monotone to be something more in a 1950s robot voice. Y'know, completely flat...

"here you go pippin, who is a good girl? eat up your waxworms, they're probably not the best thing for you but you are so spoiled, beep boop..."

Sorry if you were asking really seriously... but that's the problem as I see it. :wink:

BTW, cute lizard!

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

cthulukitty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 May 2010, 2:34 pm

I don't know if monotone is the word for it, but something in the quality of your voice reminds of me of my mother. Autistic women are still something of a mystery to me, though I bet my mom is one of them.

For what it's worth, you are also just 8 days older than my little brother, or 3 years and 1 day younger than me. That doesn't have much to do with anything, but I couldn't help but notice when I scanned your profile.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 3:14 pm

You sound perfectly fine to me, although I have to admit that many of the autistic people I've listened to on videos sound fine to me as well. To me, monotone is perfectly flat with little or no variation in pitch, tempo or emphasis, and you have all of those. I have met and listened to a few people who's delivery was what I'd consider monotone, but very few.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 3:35 pm

It sounded as if you were talking to your lizard (????) the way I talk to my cats-- in like a baby voice almost lol. So I don't think this video was a good judge of what your voice would sound like in an ordinary situation. So it's hard to tell. But it didn't sound very monotone from this video.

Leander
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 May 2010, 7:57 pm

Yeah, you voice sounds normal to me. And your bearded dragon is very cool. An old school friend of mine used to have one of those years ago, but it was tiny by comparison; I didn't realise they could get that big.

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 8:16 pm

I don't think you sound monotone at all. For monotone, you'd have to listen to my 9th grade math teacher - now THAT was monotone.

BTW - if you want to really hear what you sound like without recording your voice, try holding your hands with your palms facing you. Place each hand behind each ear and press your ears forward, with your palms still pointed towards your back. Do this in private, because you will look like Bullwinkle.

Now speak or sing - this is what you sound like to others.

The thing is ... most people don't like the sound of their own voice. Just like physical appearance, we tend to be nit-picky about ourselves.

As an independent person - I think that you sound fine. If we were chatting over coffee, I would enjoy listening to you (as long as you didn't try to feed me wax worms 8O )

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 8:18 pm

I like your lizard.

No, your voice sounds normal to me. Not that you should in any way take this as a professional opinion (since I've never, you know, actually met or evaluated you), but I am actually a speech pathologist, so I've heard plenty of monotone people (strokes, autism, etc.), and your voice seems to vary appropriately in pitch.

Last edited by LostInSpace on 12 May 2010, 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2010, 8:22 pm

Nooo, it's just a talking with your cute lizard. I'm really glad that I could watch her, it's rare kind of pet :D

Your voice isn't monotone. If you want to listen to monotone, you can. You don't sound like this.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY