Are they actually allowed to do this BS?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2006, 9:24 pm

This one girl at my school told me about how she had 8 unexcused absences.
She took it up with the teacher and asked to see the attendance records so she could know what days should've been fixed or excused.
And the teacher said to her, "you don't need to see the records. I keep a record in my head."
Total BS.
Are they actually allowed to do that?

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2006, 11:41 pm

No. Her parents, her, and the teacher should meet with the principal, and if that dosn't work go to student support services at the school district office.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2006, 6:24 am

There is no way that is possible. If you are talking the HS level, this teacher probably sees close to 200 students/day. I don't think even aspies could keep track of that.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

parts
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2006, 7:09 am

Attendance records are useally reqiured to be written and when I was in school it was explained as an offical document to prove you were at school and they took it seriously.

dbzgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2006, 6:51 pm

I don't think they're allowed to do this.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2006, 7:39 pm

My highschool required a visit to an office called the Attendance Office, to hand in an written excuse or answer a call from someone outside the school allowing you to be excused. If either of these things did not occur, and your absence was not school-related, you were considered unexcused and were recorded as such. And that was just school-wide. Individual teachers (as I was told) were required to call role at the beginning of class and record any absences.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2006, 9:08 pm

"Well, sir, I'm sorry to say that it's quiet likely illegal for me to split open your head in order to verify these things, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to do one of the facets of your job and keep records. Thank you. And you're welcome for not sawing off the top of your cranium, too."

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2006, 9:19 pm

The problem may be if the teacher does keep class records regarding attendence. When I was in HS, some teachers were Nazi when it came to attendence and others did not record an absence, even it the person was absent from school.

Besides, where I went to school, the Home Room teacher was required to take attendence and submit it to the office who would then send a sheet to all teachers as to what students were not in school. The teachers used that to determine if someone was possibly skipping (I say possibly because the office also kept a log of which students left early with an excuse so they office can check). As far as excused absences, we had a part time attendence officer that took care of that.

I think most states have requirements that all schools must record attendence. After all, it is against the law to be truant and they have to prove it somehow. I think even homeschoolers are required to prove attendence in most states.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2006, 11:04 pm

Yep. Both homeschoolers and those who attend private schools have to do attendance. It becomes more of a "big deal" when students get into middle school and high school, however.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2006, 4:21 pm

Namiko wrote:
Yep. Both homeschoolers and those who attend private schools have to do attendance. It becomes more of a "big deal" when students get into middle school and high school, however.

I think you misread the actual question, which was "Are they allowed to tell a student she has an attendance failure without actually showing a written record of the days she missed?"

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2006, 4:47 pm

They have to have record Yupa. Someone should be able to show her because if it came to a fight in court about Truancy, I am sure a judge would want more proof that "I do not remember seeing her in class on those days".