Anyone have seizures in their sleep or other troubles?



Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: Feb 08, 2010
Posts: 447
Location: Here, now.

14 May 2010, 7:20 pm

Im not sure what, but something strange happens to me in my sleep sometimes. Its almost always in the early AM ill be dreaming or just starting to fall asleep, but then it will get interrupted by what I can only describe as everything gradually becoming louder and exaggerated to the point where everything becomes a static with sharp inflection, its completely draining and overwhelming, and I feel it run through my body. Its like all my senses get caught up into a sea of static and all I can feel is the pattern washing over me till its all I can sense.. and then I wake up suddenly with a jerk and feel completely exhausted, confused, disoriented, and almost unable to talk, or think. There have been times where I woke up with my whole body sore, and just recently I woke up and parts of my face had a sort of tremor or twitch. I also frequently wake up with headaches.

On the days following a night like this I'm very tired and drained all day, and anything that takes mental effort is a lot more difficult. Its like I could occupy myself with just staring out a window all day and that would be fine.

I'm seeing a doctor in a 2 weeks, I think I might ask to be referred to a neurologist.

This sound familiar to anyone?


_________________
"To the end, my dear." ~ Stravinsky


CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Jul 17, 2004
Posts: 91549
Location: In a quiet and peaceful garden, where gentle Mick Avory-like Sweet Peas grow.

14 May 2010, 7:30 pm

I get sleep paralysis from time to time. I don't know if it's along the lines of what you're dealing with.


_________________
The darling, unworldly Mick Avory with hands like shovels, who wouldn't dare choose to hurt a soul: I'm the cuddly, adorable Kink. Sweet Peas: http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/C ... 20Smileys/ Blog: http://ramblingsofasuccessfula


PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: May 14, 2008
Posts: 3741
Location: Kalahari Desert

14 May 2010, 7:59 pm

I can never "get tired" by myself. I've litteraly lie in bed all night long and not get any sleep at all. I eventualy couldn't take it anymore and would get up and read or draw or something. My parents would find out I was awake and demand I go back to bed and when I tried to explain I wasn't tired they would say, "Well, GET tired!"


_________________
I'm not weird, you're just too normal.


kip
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Mar 13, 2007
Posts: 1387
Location: Somewhere out there...

14 May 2010, 8:54 pm

I know what you're talking about OP. I'm on gabapentin for nerve pain and other neurological symptoms, and it really cleared up that morning 'attack'. I'm not sure what it was, but it does fit the criteria for a seizure aura, which can often be considered a seizure themselves.

I have a ton of problems with my brain though, so it may not work for you like it does me. Also, sometimes I still get a breakthrough event, and I'll still have 'bad days'. Mum's learning that I cain't always be the person I was, sometimes I'm still in too much pain and want nothing more than to go back to sleep.

I would definitely ask to be referred to a neurologist, because what you're describing could be a symptom of a larger problem. It's best to get that checked out, cause who knows what's hiding.


_________________
Every time you think you've made it idiot proof, someone comes along and invents a better idiot.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot


nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: May 04, 2010
Posts: 12054
Location: was south Louisiana but now Vermont

14 May 2010, 9:17 pm

I sometimes suffer from night-terrors &/or sleep-paralysis. Sometimes I have a very hard time falling asleep. Even thou I could be extremely tired; my mind does not want to sleep. I occasionally feel very nervous about going to bed as well & I occasionally have these vague memories of being restrained & feeling like I'm unable to breathe. I occasionally wake up extremely startled & confused. I toss & turn a lot & I sometimes toss my pillows & sheets off my bed in my sleep. I don't remember my dreams often but when I do; they are really scary & strange. I wake up often or can only get a few hours sleep at times & I sometimes wake-up extremely sore in spots or have an arm or leg completely numb because I slept in a very awkward position.
I started having these problems years ago when I started suffering from a major depression & other emotional problems on top of other things. I started meds shortly after cuz I had a break-down but I've been off em for over a year now & I'm not having those emotional issues like I was but I'm still having the sleeping issues thou they are not as bad as when I when I was on the meds. I think I would sleep much better if I was with someone who I felt really safe with. I have not liked sleeping by myself sense that break-down.


_________________
Tis the season to go in debt making the corporations rich.


Last edited by nick007 on 14 May 2010, 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Apr 22, 2010
Posts: 5234

14 May 2010, 9:17 pm

Sleep problems, yeah, always.

It's abnormal for me to close my eyes, fall asleep within 15 minutes, sleep 8 hours straight and wake up feeling rested.

The sensory thing could be an aura or hypnogogic hallucination. You could be having seizures in your sleep. They would have to do a sleep study/EEG.



jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Oct 21, 2009
Posts: 11257
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada

14 May 2010, 10:04 pm

devark wrote:
Im not sure what, but something strange happens to me in my sleep sometimes. Its almost always in the early AM ill be dreaming or just starting to fall asleep, but then it will get interrupted by what I can only describe as everything gradually becoming louder and exaggerated to the point where everything becomes a static with sharp inflection, its completely draining and overwhelming, and I feel it run through my body. Its like all my senses get caught up into a sea of static and all I can feel is the pattern washing over me till its all I can sense.. and then I wake up suddenly with a jerk and feel completely exhausted, confused, disoriented, and almost unable to talk, or think. There have been times where I woke up with my whole body sore, and just recently I woke up and parts of my face had a sort of tremor or twitch. I also frequently wake up with headaches.

On the days following a night like this I'm very tired and drained all day, and anything that takes mental effort is a lot more difficult. Its like I could occupy myself with just staring out a window all day and that would be fine.

I'm seeing a doctor in a 2 weeks, I think I might ask to be referred to a neurologist.

This sound familiar to anyone?

Ok wow. What you described was really similar to what I went through when I was around 15. Even the fact that it happens in the early morning is similar. The day afterwards, I would feel sick and sometimes throw up. I was on medication for a while but then the neurologist said it wasn't seizures and so I was off from the medication. The last time an episode happened was when I was 18.



League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Feb 04, 2010
Posts: 16762
Location: My house

14 May 2010, 10:44 pm

I have sleep problems and my bladder keeps me up all night. I have to go like every 15-30 minutes. I can't stand the feeling of needing to go.

I had seizures in 6th grade due to the pills I was on. I had to go in for a scat scan and EEG and I fainted that night after the procedure because I couldn't get the gel out of my hair. I was told it would wash out and it wouldn't come out and by the time I woke up, it was gone.



rainbowbutterfly
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: May 04, 2009
Posts: 263
Location: California

14 May 2010, 10:45 pm

I think I've had sleep paralysis alternating with seizures in my sleep. Ever since I took Clariton one night, I woke up several times to the feeling that my body was shaking, and I woke up to a loud buzzing noise in my head. I don't know if I overdosed on it, or if it was a really sensitive reaction. After I got off of it, I stopped having those symptoms, except for occasional moments of waking up to hypnogogic hallucinations and either feeling my head shaking, or feeling unable to move my body. For me, these symptoms are often accompanied by nightmares. Lately, though, ever since lucid dreaming, these symptoms seem to be almost gone.



jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Oct 21, 2009
Posts: 11257
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada

14 May 2010, 10:52 pm

League_Girl wrote:
...my bladder keeps me up all night. I have to go like every 15-30 minutes. I can't stand the feeling of needing to go.

Ya, I have to go to the washroom frequently before I fall asleep too, if I go to bed early. I would rather go than not go if it was a dilemma since I wouldn't want to wet my bed.



RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Dec 03, 2008
Posts: 910
Location: Steel City (Golden State no more)

14 May 2010, 10:53 pm

I don't have quite as big a problem as you do, but my mother says I twitch in my sleep. I don't even notice, so I don't know if that's the case all the time.


_________________
"WE ARE SEX BOB-OMB! ONE TWO THREE FOUR!"


devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: Feb 08, 2010
Posts: 447
Location: Here, now.

15 May 2010, 1:09 pm

Thanks for all the feedback :D . I'm defiantly going to try and see a neurologist.

kip wrote:
I know what you're talking about OP. I'm on gabapentin for nerve pain and other neurological symptoms, and it really cleared up that morning 'attack'. I'm not sure what it was, but it does fit the criteria for a seizure aura, which can often be considered a seizure themselves.

I have a ton of problems with my brain though, so it may not work for you like it does me. Also, sometimes I still get a breakthrough event, and I'll still have 'bad days'. Mum's learning that I cain't always be the person I was, sometimes I'm still in too much pain and want nothing more than to go back to sleep.

I would definitely ask to be referred to a neurologist, because what you're describing could be a symptom of a larger problem. It's best to get that checked out, cause who knows what's hiding.


I live with my aunt, and its defiantly a challenge for her to understand me on bad days as it usually leaves me in a sort of trance.

nick007 wrote:
I sometimes suffer from night-terrors &/or sleep-paralysis. Sometimes I have a very hard time falling asleep. Even thou I could be extremely tired; my mind does not want to sleep. I occasionally feel very nervous about going to bed as well & I occasionally have these vague memories of being restrained & feeling like I'm unable to breathe. I occasionally wake up extremely startled & confused. I toss & turn a lot & I sometimes toss my pillows & sheets off my bed in my sleep. I don't remember my dreams often but when I do; they are really scary & strange. I wake up often or can only get a few hours sleep at times & I sometimes wake-up extremely sore in spots or have an arm or leg completely numb because I slept in a very awkward position.
I started having these problems years ago when I started suffering from a major depression & other emotional problems on top of other things. I started meds shortly after cuz I had a break-down but I've been off em for over a year now & I'm not having those emotional issues like I was but I'm still having the sleeping issues thou they are not as bad as when I when I was on the meds. I think I would sleep much better if I was with someone who I felt really safe with. I have not liked sleeping by myself sense that break-down.


I use to have night terrors as a child and still have quite strange and somewhat scary dreams. I have this recurring dream of weightlessness where I begin to walk outside and start floating above the ground and completely lose control of direction and speed and just float off into the sky. I can feel my stomach start to turn from the height, and the air becomes difficult to breathe.. its terrible lol. I usually wake up sick or with a choking sensation. You would think a dream about flying would be the coolest thing.

I almost forgot about the waking up with a numb arm or leg because of bad positioning. Its happens to me a lot.

chronos wrote:
Sleep problems, yeah, always.

It's abnormal for me to close my eyes, fall asleep within 15 minutes, sleep 8 hours straight and wake up feeling rested.

The sensory thing could be an aura or hypnogogic hallucination. You could be having seizures in your sleep. They would have to do a sleep study/EEG.


Yeah, I almost never experience restful unbroken sleep either. I've never heard of "hypnogogic hallucinations", ill have to look into them.

jc6chan wrote:
Ok wow. What you described was really similar to what I went through when I was around 15. Even the fact that it happens in the early morning is similar. The day afterwards, I would feel sick and sometimes throw up. I was on medication for a while but then the neurologist said it wasn't seizures and so I was off from the medication. The last time an episode happened was when I was 18.


I hope mine just goes away like that too! xD

League_Girl wrote:
I have sleep problems and my bladder keeps me up all night. I have to go like every 15-30 minutes. I can't stand the feeling of needing to go.

I had seizures in 6th grade due to the pills I was on. I had to go in for a scat scan and EEG and I fainted that night after the procedure because I couldn't get the gel out of my hair. I was told it would wash out and it wouldn't come out and by the time I woke up, it was gone.


I use to have the same problem with "having to go", now I force myself to not drink anything for at least 2 hours before I think I'm going to sleep.

rainbowbutterfly wrote:
I think I've had sleep paralysis alternating with seizures in my sleep. Ever since I took Clariton one night, I woke up several times to the feeling that my body was shaking, and I woke up to a loud buzzing noise in my head. I don't know if I overdosed on it, or if it was a really sensitive reaction. After I got off of it, I stopped having those symptoms, except for occasional moments of waking up to hypnogogic hallucinations and either feeling my head shaking, or feeling unable to move my body. For me, these symptoms are often accompanied by nightmares. Lately, though, ever since lucid dreaming, these symptoms seem to be almost gone.


Glad you mentioned Clariton, I was about to try it for allergies, but now I think ill pass heh.

RockDrummer616 wrote:
I don't have quite as big a problem as you do, but my mother says I twitch in my sleep. I don't even notice, so I don't know if that's the case all the time.


Some twitching from what I've read is normal. Like when transitioning from wakefulness to sleep or even to different sleep cycles.


_________________
"To the end, my dear." ~ Stravinsky


liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: Jun 08, 2008
Posts: 1922
Location: France

15 May 2010, 2:45 pm

My husband says I twitch in my sleep....doubt that means anything!



Inuit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: Nov 06, 2009
Posts: 45

03 Jun 2010, 4:17 pm

Yes, mine happen like this. I wake feeling all 'buzzy' at first I don't know where I am. I can't place the room I'm in within the wider world. I don't recognise my wife or why someone would be in my bed, I get out of bed in a state of total confussion, I then get a feeling that I recognise this mental state and that if I can hold it (the mental state) I'll learn something - like some kind of religeous reverlation. I normaly don't remember anything past this point, I often come round doing somthing bizzare like looking through my wardrobe or staring at the curtains. Three weeks ago however I can round on the floor with multiple facial injuries - blood everywhere. The hospital refered ne to a neurologist who thinks its temporal lobe epilepsy.



mgran
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: May 22, 2009
Posts: 1864

03 Jun 2010, 4:29 pm

I've had fits in my sleep, only just found out about it. Funnily enough, it was the dentist who first suggested a problem... I've got clicky jaws, and the pattern of grinding on my teeth was suspicious.

Since he suggested that I've seen a doctor, had investigations done, and my headaches have got MUCH better.



Display posts from previous:  Sort by  


Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next




You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to: