Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 6:24 am

i have had lots of different roommates over the years, and finally concluded i can't live with other people happily.

i need a safe zone that is entirely in my control and suited to my preferences, and i find this impossible with someone else going in and out, even if my room is completely private. but i think i am unusually particular about my privacy and about sharing space. i even have trouble visiting my family.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 8:57 am

Very interesting experience. BTW I'd be the roomie looking for someone to live with. (I live with my parents currently) I don't have the cash for an apartment I was wanting to do College (AA) Then loans (BA) Then graduate studies (Master's/PhD) :-) (Maybe when/IF) I get a job maybe as a research assistant I can get some more income to be able to find a place. :-) Thanks for all the advice and experiences you guys have had. :-) I agree no smoking and more study focused. :-)

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 1:21 pm

I had roommates and drove them all nuts. I never figured out why either. I just did my thing, tried to be considerate and cleaned up after myself. Somehow though, they really found me annoying. Go figure. It was always stuff I didn't even realize I was doing. Nowadays I'd avoid roommates at all cost.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 7:26 am

My roommate said she's gonna live alone next year.
So I should look for new person... it's really hard. I'm afraid of sociable, vomitly talkative and stupid girl. With many BlaBlaBla-high-voiced friends, her OoooochSoooLovelySweetheartILoooveHimSoooMuchDoYouThinkHeLoveeesMeeeTooooo. She loves hyperhighlight, she's always cold and she listens to UmpaUmpa and all this Viva-Mtv sh**. She watches Soap Operas, Dancing With Stars... :?

OMG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! God, save me from this type of girls!
LIEBERGOTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :cry:

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2010, 11:53 am

I don't know if you would have a dorm roommate or live in apartment style housing...those are really different in terms of roommates. If you live in housing owned by the college, you can change roommates after a while (maybe after the semester, I don't really know). If you're in an apartment, it's up to you and your roommates to work out your problems. I recommend living in apartments that are just for students...I've found some like that and they are sort of prepared for problems. Say, if one of you decides to leave, you only pay your part of the rent...you don't worry about your roommates part.

I've only lived with someone short term. Every time I have it's been fun, but maybe that's because it's short term :lol: I may have a roommate at college this fall. I'll certainly live in housing with other students. I have:
1. on a mission trip a whole bunch of us girls stayed in one big room of bunk beds and shared a communal bathroom. No one liked the bathroom deal, but it was fun all staying together. Keep in mind, we basically only slept in the same room but weren't together the rest of the day.
2. at a camp 3 of us stayed together in a room. Long term it would have been a nightmare (sharing a tiny bathroom & we had no room, plus we all had totally different personalities), but for the week or so we had a blast.
3. my parents moved out of our apartment and into a house, but we still had the apartment for about 3 weeks or so. Me and my friend stayed in the apartment that time and played house :wink: Lots of fun. But I also got to see the kinds of problems that would arise. Some nights she wanted to stay out later than me and I woke up when she came in, that was annoying. We both cooked but just one of us did the dishes. Cleaning the house wasn't split equally. Stuff like that.

ambi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 May 2010, 12:02 pm

My only roommate (dorms) complained about me a lot to our RA and moved out first chance she got. Worst, most traumatizing experience of my life and I've swore I'll never live with someone who doesn't already know me really well and know exactly what they're getting into.