Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ripcity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2010, 3:25 am

I am often told that I talk too fast. Sometimes I stutter a bit as well.
Dose anyone else have speech issues?

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

16 May 2010, 4:03 am

People tell me I talk too fast and stutter, ... and they're right. Also I have trouble pronouncing my R's.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 4:10 am

I sound quite masculine, for a woman. It doesn't bother me. If I sounded like the women in my area, people would expect me, to act like a North American NT female, of my age group. The most shallow of all.

rainbowbutterfly
Toucan
Toucan

16 May 2010, 4:22 am

People tell me that I talk a little slow and slightly monotonous. However, my speed is a major improvement compared to how I was like at the age of 12, before speech therapy. I used to drag out every syllable in every word, and I wasn't even aware of doing that until my classmates started making fun of me. I think my voice also might be a tad bit deep for a female's, too. Also, it's still hard for me to talk with the right volume according to the appropriate situation from time to time.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 May 2010, 4:43 am

I had lots of speech problems when I was in school; I was in speeach therapy sense I started school till I went to high-school. I was still eligible to receive it when I started HS but I would of had to go to school down the road. I had lots of problems pronouncing S, TH sounds ect. It's not really bad nowadays but I also have a tremor disorder that can affect my voice when I'm nervous, I sometimes slure, & my voice fluctuates. It was much worse when I was on meds cuz they kept drying it out. I also have better than average hearing & people sometimes say I'm mumbling when I think I'm talking in a normal volume. I also don't make eye contact & stuff partly cuz of the AS & that also makes it harder for people to understand me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 5:16 am

I mumbled and spoke very low until I was about 35.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 6:52 am

My ASish boyfriend frequently complains that he can never understand what I am saying as I frequently speak to him in a funny sort of baby-ish sing-song dialect to get the words out,not understanding that they come out sounding all jumbled up and incomprehensible...

I repeat myself a lot and am prone to become distracted and thrown off-course mid-sentence...and I do also stutter and repeat words and syllables a lot of the time and use the word "um" an awful lot...

If I speak too quickly, I can't be understood..if I speak too slowly I lose my train of thought...

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 10:34 am

I had to go to speech thearpy from first grade all the way to fifth grade. I mumbled and had a real thick accent because my parents were from West Virginia. They would have kept me in speech thearpy in the sixth grade but I kept complaining that I needed to work on my math skills not my ability to speak well. I speak well now but I am horrible in math. :roll:

neto
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2010, 10:44 am

When I get nervous my voice trembles and I stutter a bit, and I tend to talk without pausing until I run out of breath. I have problems pronouncing my r's, too.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 1:09 pm

When I was young, I tended to speak softly, in a monotone and I mumbled. After I started doing theatre and teaching, I began speaking too loudly and overly distinct, although still monotone. I stutter terribly if I am at all emotional... and I have trouble with Rs too.

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 8:40 am

I stutter a lot. Always have. I wonder if that's a motor clumsiness thing, because I understand that speaking requires a great deal of motor coordination.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 11:56 am

I only stutter a little bit when i get extremely anxious. I think i speak pretty well, for the most part. I have been accused of being monotone at times, and then when i get really into a topic i can start talking fast. I've also often been accused of not talking loud enough at times, and sometimes of mumbling.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 11:59 am

ripcity wrote:

Yes. I tend to talk too fast or talk very disjointedly. I'm okay when I confine myself to single sentences. :)

The year is still young.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 1:22 pm

People I stutter and talk too loud, and that I also talk in a very proper kind of way if you know what I mean.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 1:28 pm

ripcity wrote:

I'm exactly the same but never hardly realize I was doing it and I also stutter the exact same way too.
I did have speech delay when I was a little kid, never learned how to talk until I was 3 and a half. :lol:

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 1:50 pm

articulation :oops: