Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 7:38 am

There are a lot of threads discussing the supposed traits of random individuals, so people find it useful or important - but what is the value of these threads?

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 7:56 am

Most people look at celebreties for gossip to share with their companions. It's considered a typical part of society for regular people to be infatuated with the sorted details of celebrities. As aspies, I guess this is our way of discussing celebs. I don't care about what Tiger Woods does in his personal life, and can't understand why anyone does, however, I'd be game to sit, and analyze his behavior, and speculate why he does what he does. I love to people watch, and to analyze human behavior. I suspect many others on the spectrum do, too.

So, to answer your question, the value of the threads is just one of socializing the way we do it. Just the same as most of the other threads on here.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 7:56 am

As far as I can tell it's to find some worth in themselves by looking for successfull people to relate to.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 8:17 am

That sounds about right to me...

TheDeviantOne
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 May 2010, 8:34 am

And here I thought it was gonna be yet another one of those topics where someone famous is said to have AS based on little to no proof.

Lecks wrote:
As far as I can tell it's to find some worth in themselves by looking for successfull people to relate to.

Sounds just about right, although I think people should realize that such successful people are a vast minority. Even most NTs don't reach that kind of status. After all, everyone can't be famous or what would they be famous for?

The Internet; human stupidity at its finest...

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 9:01 am

Because introversion, eccentricities not exclusive to AS, and minor traits all warrant a diagnosis :roll:.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 9:36 am

And there was I thinking from the confident tone of the title that it was going to be a serious "no, she really is, how cool" thread. :lol:

The year is still young.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 11:15 am

We like to feel one with successful and talented people, but to diagnose (and we're not doctors), famous people (who we have never met) based on certain traits (which we can't be sure of just based on a public persona), then we are being like a blind man pointing out a rainbow.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 11:24 am

Michelle Autbama? topic

I find this unlikely, but it did prompt me to choose to check out the topic. 8)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 11:36 am

TheDeviantOne wrote:
Sounds just about right, although I think people should realize that such successful people are a vast minority. Even most NTs don't reach that kind of status. After all, everyone can't be famous or what would they be famous for?

Only because it's a minority of people who have the motivation to make themselves successful.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 12:24 pm

We all are autistic.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 12:39 pm

Valoyossa wrote:
We all are autistic.

Yes, true, but at what point do we cross a line? If there is no line, then why do we even need this web site? And if there is a line, then we just need to come to grips with the fact that some of us won't be hosting any black-tie galas for diplomats any time soon.

It took me 46 years to finally find out I was autistic. Now don't tell me that we're going to start letting all the riffraff in. :wink:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 12:47 pm

Everybody has autistic traits. It's just that they don't show up, in the majority of the human population, strong enough to warrant a Dx.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 2:47 pm

dyingofpoetry wrote:
Valoyossa wrote:
We all are autistic.

Yes, true, but at what point do we cross a line? If there is no line, then why do we even need this web site? And if there is a line, then we just need to come to grips with the fact that some of us won't be hosting any black-tie galas for diplomats any time soon.
The line's been defined for quite a while--it's called "significant impairment". If you're not impaired, you can't be diagnosed.

Now, culturally autistic--that's a different story. Culturally autistic people can be BAP or subclinical with a lost diagnosis, none of which are something a doctor would ever call "autism".

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 4:27 pm

StuartN wrote:
There are a lot of threads discussing the supposed traits of random individuals, so people find it useful or important - but what is the value of these threads?

Haha, nice bait-and-switch.

Good question, though. I don't understand it at all, and it annoys me. How do you think you can diagnose someone you've never met based on certain things you've "seen"? I had a professional misdiagnose me with ADHD when he had much more information available, so how would an amateur be able to accurately diagnose someone they have almost no information on?

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 3:45 am

pat2rome wrote:
I don't understand it at all, and it annoys me. How do you think you can diagnose someone you've never met based on certain things you've "seen"?

That about sums up my feelings - I see these threads, and a lot of them, that cherry-pick the minutest of incidents (often acted incidents, and not even natural behaviour), or postures, or strange phrases or even how people hold their fingers. Sure, everyone has autistic traits and engage in some behaviours that might look autistic sometimes - especially for dramatic value, e.g. stimming in action movies. But I don't see any benefit to discussing them, and I mean this in an "I don't understand" rather than a STFU way. Most people, most of the time (especially slebs) are not autistic - like Callista said, if they are impaired by autistic traits and still famous, then that really would be interesting.

I find Wrong Planet a great way of crowd-sourcing solutions from people with similar problems, so if a famous golfer actually had AS and still managed to wander comfortably amongst crowds because of some method of focusing on his special interest (presumably golf), then I would like to learn what his method is - and maybe even how to use it. But I don't feel any great benefit from gossiping about his supposed status, or me-too identification with how he holds the club in some unusual "autistic way", or socializing with other people interested in sleb gossip.

Sorry if I am very blunt.