Loud noise; a love/hate relationship...

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 10:46 pm

I love the sound of fireworks, but I can't stand the sound of saws.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 1:05 am

i love thunderstorms and loud music.

the sounds that bother me a lot are mostly machinery noises and vehicles (engines revving, sirens, alarms).

oh yeah - and dishes being chucked into a bus tub at a restaurant. and dogs.

and screaming girls.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 1:17 am

I love hearing gunshots, explosions and thunder.

I hate vehicles idling/revving, loud music, people talking loud, sirens, and anything else that's continuous and reasonably loud.

I like that single impulse of really loud noise, but the relatively quiet nature of people yelling has me covering my ears.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 May 2010, 11:15 am

Thanks for all these replies!

Not only did you all answer, but I see that your descriptions of other kinds of noises (engines revving vs. gunshots, etc.), are in nearly perfect alignment with my own reactions to various noises. An unmuffled car engine, or a motorcycle engine revving, is just about as painful a noise as I can think of. However, a Caterpillar bulldozer revving a huge Diesel engine and vibrating the ground, is a "good" noise.

I forgot to mention that I enjoy target shooting, and I have better command of controlling "the flinch" than many marksmen without Asperger's. I can "tune out" the flinch, to be able to fire 6 or more shots in rapid succession, which allows me to keep much better aim on the target. Others have to recover from the flinch before firing again, or they'll deviate from the target.

Charles

eb31
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2010, 2:12 pm

I recently discovered that thyroid problems can intensify noise sensitivity. It may be worthwhile to get yours checked out.

I was dx with hypothyroid and (of course lol) its my newest SI. I was at the point where I was wearing heavy grade earplugs just to go about my day to day without pulling out my hair. I am taking Iodoral now and the noise thing is 99% resolved. Possibly if I get run down it will be, but for the past couple days since I started the protocol, there has been a miraculous improvement =)

LostNFound
Raven
Raven

20 May 2010, 3:38 pm

Oh I adore a really rough thunderstorm rolling in. All the thunder, wailing and roaring sends electricity through my body and I even get a tad hyper if it's a particuarly severe storm. I generally only like sirens to the extent that they're delivering a promise for the tingle I mentioned.

LostNFound
Raven
Raven

20 May 2010, 3:39 pm

Oh I adore a really rough thunderstorm rolling in. All the thunder, wailing and roaring sends electricity through my body and I even get a tad hyper if it's a particuarly severe storm. I generally only like sirens to the extent that they're delivering a promise for the tingle I mentioned.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 2:41 pm

I feel very insecure with loud noises. This is a big problem for me, because not only I am an Aspie, I also have a weak heart, so when a loud noise occures, my heart skips a beat, which causes me to have breathing problems afterwards, and a pain in my chest. Otherwise, loud noises don't worry me - they only worry me under the circumstances of my heart condition. It's really not fair on me.
Also, it's like the world doesn't respect Aspies or people with heart conditions. Sometimes when I'm waiting for my bus at the bus stop, a car would whizz by and honk the horn as it flies past me. They're either bibbing at somebody else or bibbing for the sake of it, and this is my biggest anxiety. This is why I don't like walking out on my own. If I'm walking with somebody else, I tend to filter out sudden noises and so I could cope better, but when I'm on my own anything distracts me.
Sometimes I wish signals were given by flashing lights. If you don't know what I mean, I will tell you an example: horns on cars are to give a signal to people when needed - why not flashing lights instead? Lights distract people just as much as sound does, and it isn't half as disturbing. Also - wouldn't it be good if nature was a bit different? I mean, wouldn't it be good if babies actually lit up when wanting to cry, instead of wailing at the top of it's voice? Or if a kid was having a temper tantrum, instead of shouting and screaming at an ear-peircing level, it'd be better if it just lit up in it's temper tantrum. Also, bells at school (although I've left now), why can't the lights just turn pink when it's time for assembily or time for hometime, instead of a noisy bell? At least light can't make you jump. Well - lightening can, but it's still not as disturbing as noise. I know most Aspies don't like light, but at least with light you can shut your eyes or look down if it bothers you. With sounds, you can't exactly go around holding your hands over your ears all your life. Light never bothers me. I love summer - i hate dark winter.

Noise has become my worst enemy
Light has become my best friend.

Last edited by Joe90 on 29 Jun 2010, 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Agnieszka
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 4:00 pm

Willard wrote:

I think that control is probably the key. Sudden loud noises are extremely jarring to me, too - I hate people knocking or ringing my doorbell when I'm not expecting them, it sets my teeth on edge and nearly gives me a heart attack. As if an unexpected guest weren't annoying enough just by interrupting my routine. Loud music doesn't bother me as long as I'm the one in control of the volume.

I couldn't agree more! It's making me very nervous when I have an unexpected guest and doorbell is giving me a heart attack everytime I hear it. Listening to thunders is expecting thunders to appear so it's not that stressful.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 11:03 am

I just hated bells at school. I don't mind fire drills because it got us out of the lesson LOL, and the bells were out in the corridors, and we were always in the classroom when the fire drill went off so it didn't make me jump. It didn't worry me to walk past it when ringing because it can't make me jump. But if it rings normally, like for break time or assembly or something, I was just spending my whole time trying to avoid being in the corridor at the time the bells will ring. I just shuddered at the thought of jumping out of my skin. But I didn't want to cover my ears when being a teenager because I felt silly, so I just had to linger about in a part of the corridor which didn't have a bell near, or I lingered about outside. And I even forgot what times the bell goes, so that made it worse. It was terrible.
Now I've left school and work in a shop, I needn't worry of bells because we don't use them in shops, and if we have a fire the smoke alarms just go off. I wouldn't care about the noise then because I'd be too busy worrying about the fire.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 12:07 pm

I like 'clean' noise - music, the regular sound of machinery, etc. I don't like sudden or irregular noise like someone yelling, children crying etc.

MechAnime
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 4:15 pm

Willard wrote:
I think that control is probably the key. Sudden loud noises are extremely jarring to me, too - I hate people knocking or ringing my doorbell when I'm not expecting them, it sets my teeth on edge and nearly gives me a heart attack. As if an unexpected guest weren't annoying enough just by interrupting my routine. Loud music doesn't bother me as long as I'm the one in control of the volume.

This is how I experience all things "sudden", be it a loud noise or an unexpected guest. I've refused to answer the door many times because I'm just not prepared to deal with people, or as you put it, having routine interrupted.

Cuterebra wrote:
Listening to loud music is wonderful as long as it is my music--like being wrapped in a comfortable blanket.

If it weren't for music, my ability to feel and understand emotion would be even more deranged. It's one of the few things that lets me connect with my species.

I feel the exact same way about music. It's probably why I'm still alive.

CockneyRebel wrote:
I love the sound of fireworks, but I can't stand the sound of saws.

I recently enjoyed being "backstage" at a 32 minute local fireworks show that are some of the best I've seen over the years. I was told to stand near the entrance of the baseball field (they set off the fireworks in the outfield), and not the infield which I had initially chosen to view them from, because "the fireworks and their debris always tend to blow towards the infield". So I did what I was told, and lo and behold, they didn't go anywhere near the infield and came right at me. I was in heaven (although nervous at the start because I didn't know quite what to expect and I could hear the trees directly behind me getting hit by the debris)! There was explosive sounds, sparks, "screams", streamers and smoke all around me and I couldn't have been happier. Can't wait until next year.

katzefrau wrote:
i love thunderstorms and loud music.

the sounds that bother me a lot are mostly machinery noises and vehicles (engines revving, sirens, alarms).

oh yeah - and dishes being chucked into a bus tub at a restaurant. and dogs.

and screaming girls.

Yes, all of this, too. Screaming girls in particular really get to me. Also pneumatic drills.

kx250rider wrote:
I forgot to mention that I enjoy target shooting, and I have better command of controlling "the flinch" than many marksmen without Asperger's. I can "tune out" the flinch, to be able to fire 6 or more shots in rapid succession, which allows me to keep much better aim on the target. Others have to recover from the flinch before firing again, or they'll deviate from the target.

I love target shooting, and I have good flinch control as well. I'm a natural when it comes to having good aim. My SO calls me Annie Oakley. :lol:

jdcnosse
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 4:50 pm

I like listening to loud music if I can control the volume. I don't like going to concerts as it's too loud and I can't control the volume. :(

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2010, 9:48 pm

:oops:

philosophylover
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Dec 2010, 12:47 am

Oh my God, I hate sudden noises too! They make me jump and scream. It's only when I am alone and very focused and some sudden noise or something happens around that I get jumpy though. When I know the sound is coming and I expect it, it doesn't bother me as much. It's a control issue, I think. Everything that is "sudden" pumps up my adrenaline. If someone invites me out somewhere at the last minute, I become disoriented and anxious. etc. etc.

Kail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2011, 2:24 am

small loud noises make my eyes blink real fast and my consciousness slightly drift, where as large loud noises like fire drills or loud metal make my body go real tense and mildly shake while my brain going near unconscious like my brain falls backwards and dark. The small one's being short, and the very loud noises take a solid 10-30 seconds to become bearable/control able.

overall it is pain, discomfort, extremely fast heart beat (following) and mild to severe fit of rage directed towards the noise.

:evil: damn fire drills.