Hamlet
Flubber
Happy Feet
RV

Casual_Look
Raven
Raven

20 May 2010, 7:07 pm

For me it's a tough choice between Aladdin and Mrs. Doubtfire, although im sure many will disagree.

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 7:08 pm

Insomnia

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2010, 7:31 pm

Awakenings

I also liked his un-credited role in "The Adventures of Baron Muchhausen" although the movie itself wasn't that great.

Negolin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 May 2010, 8:51 pm

Dead Poets Society

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 May 2010, 12:47 am

Dead Poets Society

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppqb0t_B0KY[/youtube]

The former things have passed away."

Darkword
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 3:30 am

I'd like DPS more if it weren't inexorably tied to this highly obnoxious thick eyebrowed numbskull I had for an English teacher in high school. He was always quoting it and we watched it in class.

I call him that not because he gave me a bad grade, he didn't, but because he was the teacher of my favorite subject and he was an moron incapable of teaching anyone a single thing. Being in that room was such a waste of time.

He would just go on these long pointless rants about how he feels about the world during class time. Then assign a paper at the end of the course, I've seen some of the papers he gave As, he had absolutely no quality standard. Someone straight up copied a paper off the internet and threw in some grammar and spelling errors and it got past him.

A part of me wanted to just record what the idiot was saying and doing then report him so I could get a real teacher, but he had kids so I couldn't without feeling bad about it. Was such a bothersome situation.

Despite being a huge Chris Nolan fan, I've yet to get around to watching insomnia. I'm sure that will be my favorite when I do. Until then I'm going with Aladdin.

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 6:25 am

Add another vote for Dead Poets Society with Happy Feet a close second.

Vanilla_Slice

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 8:36 am

Darkword wrote:
I'd like DPS more if it weren't inexorably tied to this highly obnoxious thick eyebrowed numbskull I had for an English teacher in high school. He was always quoting it and we watched it in class.

I call him that not because he gave me a bad grade, he didn't, but because he was the teacher of my favorite subject and he was an moron incapable of teaching anyone a single thing. Being in that room was such a waste of time.

He would just go on these long pointless rants about how he feels about the world during class time. Then assign a paper at the end of the course, I've seen some of the papers he gave As, he had absolutely no quality standard. Someone straight up copied a paper off the internet and threw in some grammar and spelling errors and it got past him.

A part of me wanted to just record what the idiot was saying and doing then report him so I could get a real teacher, but he had kids so I couldn't without feeling bad about it. Was such a bothersome situation.

Despite being a huge Chris Nolan fan, I've yet to get around to watching insomnia. I'm sure that will be my favorite when I do. Until then I'm going with Aladdin.

Ah man Insomnia is amazing! One of my favorite films of all time.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 9:26 am

Bicentenial Man
Patch Adams

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 9:46 am

what dreams may come

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 10:01 am

I can't pick a single favourite, but these are my faves:

Mrs Doubtfire
Good Will Hunting
Dead Poets Society
One Hour Photo
Aladdin
Happy Feet

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 2:01 pm

auntblabby wrote:
what dreams may come

What a depressing movie that was.

ruveyn

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 3:10 pm

"Moscow on the Hudson" is his standout film for me. I was gobsmacked when I later learned that he doesn't actually speak Russian. His intonation and delivery were perfect in the scenes before he arrived in America. But even more than that there is the wonderful performance he puts in as a man who is completely overwhelmed in an alien culture. I like particularly his complete panic attack, almost like an aspie shutdown, when he goes to a supermarket to buy food, and is faced with too much choice... not just one kind of bread but twenty different brands. He goes to pieces in an utterly realistic way.

Has nobody else seen this film?

Also, I would say "Life According to Garp" ... unusually I preferred the film to the book, largely because Williams was so likeable, and so was Gene Close, playing the mother. In the book I found her very nasty, but Close humanised her.

And what about "Seize the Day?" The performance in that film should have won him an oscar... it's like Death of a Salesman, only even bleaker. Again, he acts a man breaking down with such utter conviction that I can't see how the actor didn't need psychiatric treatment just to recover from the performance.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 3:49 pm

Oh, flippin eck, what's wrong with me? One of my VERY favourite films, probably on my list of all time top ten movies ever... "The Fisher King."

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 4:58 pm

EnglishInvader wrote:
One Hour Photo

I love this movie to pieces, wonder if
a follow-up movie is in question...

But my favorite has to be Good Morning Vietnam.