Page 3 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do you agree with this? Be honest.
Yes 20%  20%  [ 11 ]
No 52%  52%  [ 29 ]
Probably 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Probably not 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
No, because I can't face the REALITY of the issue and buck the f**k up. 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 56

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 3:29 pm

Mikeness, take your rude and ignorant attitude elsewhere please.

You can be both REALISTIC and OPTIMISTIC. I accept that there are things I'm not good at and there is some stuff I can't do, but at the same time, I'm not going to curl up in a fetal position and be a victim and never make a life for myself. We have strengths as well as weaknesses, ya know. I'm up in the stratosphere in verbal intelligence. I'm studying for a f*****g natural sciences degree. Oh, and I have had my fair share of boyfriends (I'm female. Weird, androgynous, ASDish, but apparently still attractive to men.)

Just because YOU have a certain opinion doesn't mean your opinion is a fact and anyone who disagrees with you is kidding themselves.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 3:41 pm

I agree with most of the people, who posted in this thread. Save that stuff, for Autism Speaks, because we don't want to read it.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 4:43 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I agree with most of the people, who posted in this thread. Save that stuff, for Autism Speaks, because we don't want to read it.

Indeed!! !

I'm sick and tired of all that 'Shut up ASDers, you're broken, now accept it and lie down and die' nonsense.

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 7:15 pm

I voted no. I have never really had trouble with getting women. (I hope that isn't too egotistical because I'm not. I'm probably average looking. Nothing special) Oddly enough, I have never had trouble with women, yet I haven't had one male friend my whole life. I don't know what that means?

Oh yeah, back on subject. In case, you think I have 'settled' to just be married. My wife used to be a professional model (including lingerie) and she respects me for who I am. (she doesn't always understand, but she respects me for who I am)

I am sorry you have had bad experiences.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 7:38 pm

I'm not sorry for this guy. His behaviour disgusts me and I'd quite like to take a baseball bat to his foramen magnum.

Well okay...I wouldn't. I'm too soft to be a proper sociopath, lol. :D

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2010, 7:56 pm

dyingofpoetry wrote:
spooky13 wrote:
Translation:
Another bitter guy who got dumped and blames it on having aspergers.

Correction: Blaming it on the Asperger's that he's not even sure he has.

But much more likely... He just thought he'd have some fun with the autisitc people. I think we all went through this in eighth grade. I recognize it as harassment and I'm not posting to this thread again.

Die thread, die.

yup. although i guess i'm keeping it alive by posting .. :( :(

i just had to point out that it's also very sexist. what is he going to say next, that women are all gold-diggers and if he's not a millionaire he'll never get a girlfriend?

self-hatred (especially when projected outward) will keep you alone, above all else.

poppyx
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2010, 8:04 pm

The more people know about Asperger's, two things are likely to happen:

1.) Existing people with AS will be more accepted and their romantic partners will be better able to be in relationships with them because of books and counseling available to both parties. (Yay!)

2.) Some women who recognize AS in potential romantic partners won't marry those people or have children with them.

Part of why you get so much yapping from NTs about how difficult their AS partners are may be the sort who married the wealthy software or financial guy, expecting everything to be taken care of.

That sort of women won't marry an Aspie and have children with them, if they know.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2010, 12:01 am

I don't agree. If it were true, I and much of my extended family wouldn't exist. The extended family being rather enormous due to an autistic great-grandfather who had seven or eight kids with a nonautistic woman.

I'm also sick of people saying "Let's be honest" before coming out with a very stereotypical status-quo incredibly-biased attitude, as if those of us who try to overcome such streotyping are just dishonest with ourselves. Which in turn just feeds the stereotypes. (So do badly-thought-out "evolutionary psych" ways of viewing relationships between men and women.

poppyx
Toucan
Toucan

23 May 2010, 12:31 am

You're assuming your grandmother was the dependent type.

Maybe she just liked him.

right-hand-child
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2010, 10:54 am

poppyx wrote:
The more people know about Asperger's, two things are likely to happen:

1.) Existing people with AS will be more accepted and their romantic partners will be better able to be in relationships with them because of books and counseling available to both parties. (Yay!)

2.) Some women who recognize AS in potential romantic partners won't marry those people or have children with them.

Part of why you get so much yapping from NTs about how difficult their AS partners are may be the sort who married the wealthy software or financial guy, expecting everything to be taken care of.

That sort of women won't marry an Aspie and have children with them, if they know.

i may have disagreed with you in the past (two days ago?) but this is probably what will happen. maybe there'll be a mix of both, sensible tolerant people going for everything mentioned in 1, and ignorant people who misinterperet AS like in 2. like with racists, homphobic people etc. there is usualy a mix of those two kinds of people. for everyone here's sake lets just hope the former of the two applies more.

Eldanesh
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jun 2010, 11:36 am

The truth should not be tainted by emotional bias. What we want and expect should have nothing to do with an objective conclusion on reality.

redwulf25_ci
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jun 2010, 12:50 pm

mikeness101 wrote:
dyingofpoetry wrote:
Given that many of the members here have been married (sometimes more than once) and many have had children, I can't bring myself to agree to that, no.

The challenges of dating are bit more difficult for high functioning autistics, but I would not blame it all on the NT chicks.

lol..I'm blaming it on the NT chicks?

No, I'm blaming it on ass-burgers.

Do not feed.

BPalmer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 12:55 pm

MindBlind wrote:
Love - real love - is unconditional

:lmao:
Hoo boy, you have a lot to learn. For starters, "romantic love" (where's a "puke" emoticon?) is entirely different to parental love. Most females will give their children automatic priority over any adult male in their life.

redwulf25_ci
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jun 2010, 1:02 pm

poppyx wrote:
Honestly? I've dated two Aspies. One could barely hold down a job and had no idea that his family expected him to be giving me more than a teddy bear at Christmas

Why?

Quote:
--and had no idea about things like the symbolism involved in intentionally buying a really cheap wedding ring.

So, what, if he doesn't spend a lot of money on you he doesn't really love you? Got to say he really lucked out when you left him. I'm glad my NT wife wasn't successfully brainwashed by the Jarreds* commercials.

*Probably misspelling their name. It's a jewelry store in my area, not sure if they're nation wide. The ad campaign is basically "If he doesn't buy you expensive jewelry from us he doesn't really love you".

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 3:13 pm

If my great grandfather agreed with that, then my extended family as well as myself wouldn't be here, as my great grandma was very likely an Aspie. One thing I do know for sure is that it's a good thing my NT ex-husband and I never had any children, because he would have resented them if they turned out to be on the spectrum. I realized this when he said something cruel about my cousin who has developmental delays from being born prematurely.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 4:13 pm

mikeness101 wrote:
If you have Ass-burgers, you aint gonna get any self-respecting, attractive girl.

Using that term you likely won't get anyone to respect you either, that's just ignorance and with your attitude why would a woman AS or NT want a guy that is so negative to begin with... sorry, blunt honesty speaking... that attitude is more of a turn off and well, you put out towards others what you expect they will do to you and you're going to get it. Get some positivity and stop acting so negative, you'd do better. I'm an AS female with an HFA male and I have two sons on the spectrum as well (from a previous relationship). Yeah... guess guys on the spectrum don't get any self-respecting, attractive girl. The guy I'm with would beg to differ.